Rod holders

phly phisher

Rod holders

Post by phly phisher »

Is there any rod holder that is universal? I see there are types that hold baitcasters/spinning rods and types that hold fly rods, but are there any that will hold both a fly rod and a baitcaster?
Thanks.
Austin Canoe & Kayak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Austin Canoe & Kayak »

None that I know of. What you can do is buy a Scotty Baitcaster and a Scotty Fly Rod holder and the bases are universal so you can switch out which one you want to use at any given time.

If you are creative you can probably design something with PVC piping to work for both but you aren't going to find something already manufactured (at least not that we have found).

For more info on the two I mentioned:
http://www.austinkayak.com/catalog_details.php?ID=47
http://www.austinkayak.com/catalog_details.php?ID=46

Let me know if you have any questions, feel free to reply here or shoot a PM.

ACK
www.austinkayak.com
Walker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Anegada (Caribbean - N18°44.683' W64°24.133') and Clear Lake City (Houston area)

Post by Walker »

The Scotty baitcaster holder will hold a fly rod that has a fighting butt on it. I prefer it to the fly rod holder because it holds the rod with the reel vertical, and is easier and quiter to put the rod into or remove the rod from. If the rod does not have a fighting butt, the baitcaster holder won't work.

The only time that mount the fly rod holder instead of the baitcaster holder is when I am taking along one of my lighter rods that does not have a butt on it.
cornwoody

Post by cornwoody »

ditto Walker, I have used the strap on a Scotty BC holder to hold fly rods it works but isn't the best. I have an extra and am thinking of taking a dremel tool to it