Reel question

Kickngringo

Reel question

Post by Kickngringo »

What makes a $129 reel, a $129 reel?

Why are they better than a $29 reel.

Knowing I'll have to try eventually to find out for myself, I would, at this point, just like to have some input from the group.

I currently have a Shakespeare spincast cheapo. It's done me well. I have recently noted some corrosion though. I guess another reason some other reels are so expensive. Your thoughts folks.

You can never start that Christmas list too early.
SurfMonkey

Post by SurfMonkey »

Some basics would be the quality of the gears and the bearings. Plastic vs metal gears and the number and type of bearings.

I have learned through the school of hard knocks and going cheap that you do definitely get what you pay for...
czechmate

Post by czechmate »

hes right, for the most part, youre paying for the expensive (better) parts...but sometimes youre paying for the name. i exclusively use quantum baitcasting reels, which can get pretty pricey, but i have an okuma spinning combo i got brand new for $15, and its one of my favorites. reels are kinda like kayaks, it doesnt matter how expensive or fancy they are, as long as youre out there fishing.
Clip

Post by Clip »

It all depends.

For the most part, you get very little for your money buying an expensive spinning reel. Spend the money on a quality rod.

If you use artificials a lot, especially light ones and fish weedless/weightless, having a good lightweight, smooth baitcaster makes a huge difference. Especailly in your pocketbook. Fishing bait and fishing straight down in deeper water, less expensive baitcasters like Abu's and Daiwa's Millionaire classic. work great.
My Fishing Buddy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by My Fishing Buddy »

Put it to you this way, I have a Wal-Mart cheapo and I also have a couple of Penn spinning reel. I neglected to clean them after a fishing trip. The cheapo died even after drowning it in fresh water and oil. The Penn snapped right back.

Like the others said, it's about the quality of the gears and bearings. On some of the more quality reels you can spinning it with one finger and it keep turning and turning. After, a full day of casting and retreiving you hands and arms will know the difference.
rod dawg
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by rod dawg »

IMO (pertaining to surf/pier reels)

Fish w/ a cheapo and find out what a nice size bullred or shark will do to the components. I've seen gears lock up, sideplates fall off, spools crack in half, etc....
altonr77

Post by altonr77 »

if all u ca afford is a cheap reel than take good care of it. it will not be as strong or as corrosion resistant but will get u going just fine. but as stated before as u get better u will get into better gear. i buy good gear now and i don't have to clean them but once or twice a year :oops: