Wader Myth test video

Jim Sammons LJKF

Wader Myth test video

Post by Jim Sammons LJKF »

My friend Paul Lebowitz, from Wetern Outdoor news and Kayak Fishing Zone,and I did some video this week while experimenting with waders in different configurations.
Waders, wading belt, paddling jacket, and PFD
Waders, wading belt, , and PFD
Waders, and PFD
Waders, wading belt
Waders
and needless to say I did not drown.
These were Hodgman Breathable waders

I also tried paddling pants in different combos
Still did not drown but got a bit wetter.

Bottom line it that the waders were dry and warm when worn properly, even when worn improperly they kept most of the water out.
I would certainly recommend the wading belt and the PFD when ever wearing waders and a PFD at all times when on the water.
Yes this was in a controlled situation in a pool that was 54 degrees. But it did show me a few things about the waders that made me much more comfortable wearing them.

Here is the video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OYwG52p4yjs

Jim Sammons
La Jolla Kayak Fishing
slowride
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by slowride »

that is very cool. thanks for taking the time to demonstrate and getting it on video.

as usual, you da man!
Jolly Roger
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Jolly Roger »

Guess thoose guys that had to be saved by the Coasties that could not get back into there kayaks because of waders full of water were lieing.

Thanks for the effort, but after seeing the effects of breathable waders from a kayak in real world conditions first hand. No amount of pool time will ever change my mind about breathable waders.
slowride
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by slowride »

Jolly Roger wrote:Guess all thoose people that had to be saved by the Coasties that could not get back into there kayaks because of waders full of water were lieing.
were their waders fitted properly, wade belt, pfd?

and who are all "those people"? i only recall two coast guard kayak rescues and one of them was in the summer without waders. i think it was a lost paddle.
Lollipop
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Lollipop »

Jim,
Thanks for posting. When we did such a demo on Boerne City Lake several years ago I was accused of lieing and photoshopping the still photos. Even after demoing getting back into a kayak with waders over 50 times in different weather conditions, most people still refuse to believe it can be done. I'm no super athlete or spring chicken, in fact at my last physical my doctor said I was in excellent health for 79. When I objected to being 79 she said I was in very poor health for 40.

From actual experimentation on the water I have debunked several myths, but found that people who believe them are not interested in facts and facts and photos will not change their minds.

Lollipop
Jim Sammons LJKF

I have seen guys in swim trunks that could not get back in their kayaks.
That is why I kept repeating the importance of the PFD and the wading belt and the ability to self rescue.
I honestly believe there are too many people out on kayaks that don't know how or know how and never practice a self rescue. And that will be a bigger factor than the waders in getting people in trouble.
Jolly Roger
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Jolly Roger »

slowride wrote:
Jolly Roger wrote:Guess all thoose people that had to be saved by the Coasties that could not get back into there kayaks because of waders full of water were lieing.
were their waders fitted properly, wade belt, pfd?

and who are all "those people"? i only recall two coast guard kayak rescues and one of them was in the summer without waders. i think it was a lost paddle.

You were sitting across from me in that burger joint in Texas city during a stars and stripes when the coasties had to rescure a few guys. Don't rembember?

Of course they did not have a belt on. That will be the problem. People only hear that it is safe to wear the breathable waders, they always forget the details. You know as good as me that people do stupid things when in kayaks. You would think that everyone would know better then to wear cotton, yet there are loads of peple everyday in it.

If someon wants to wear breathable waders when fishing in deep water, go for it. They just will not be fishing with me. No reason to ask for trouble.
Play2Win
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Play2Win »

I'd like to see that scenerio played out where the current is flowing and the wind is blowing at about the typical 15 knots around here and after you have been on the water for 3 or 4 hours. Controlled conditions are fine and dandy but I think your experience would be much different in Real World Conditions. This video easily gives the newbie a serious false sense of security and could put them in harms way.

But then again, what do I know, I only had to help rescue a guy last year because of the scenerio outlined above.
Jolly Roger
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Jolly Roger »

Lollipop wrote:Jim,
Thanks for posting. When we did such a demo on Boerne City Lake several years ago I was accused of lieing and photoshopping the still photos. Even after demoing getting back into a kayak with waders over 50 times in different weather conditions, most people still refuse to believe it can be done. I'm no super athlete or spring chicken, in fact at my last physical my doctor said I was in excellent health for 79. When I objected to being 79 she said I was in very poor health for 40.

From actual experimentation on the water I have debunked several myths, but found that people who believe them are not interested in facts and facts and photos will not change their minds.

Lollipop

I am glad you feel that way. When you find yourself in a spot where theguys waders are full and he can not pull himslef up into the kayak. Remeber that I told you so.

Becuase I know the facts, I have seen and touched them.
Jim Sammons LJKF

As soon as our rain passes we will be doing part two in which I will flood the waders completely and see how we do. I think the biggest problem will be getting the wader to flood. There is so much pressure on the legs the water just trickled in.
Jolly Roger
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Jolly Roger »

Jim Sammons LJKF wrote:I have seen guys in swim trunks that could not get back in their kayaks.
That is why I kept repeating the importance of the PFD and the wading belt and the ability to self rescue.
I honestly believe there are too many people out on kayaks that don't know how or know how and never practice a self rescue. And that will be a bigger factor than the waders in getting people in trouble.
You did a great job.

But one major difference I saw right away is that the breathabl waders that people wear in Texas tend to be much looser on there bodys. Your seem to layer over your waaders, while people in Texas layer under there waders.

This tends to make the breahable waders that most people wear in Texas much looser on the body. This is just something that I have noticed in our state.
Jolly Roger
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Jolly Roger »

Play2Win wrote:I'd like to see that scenerio played out where the current is flowing and the wind is blowing at about the typical 15 knots around here and after you have been on the water for 3 or 4 hours. Controlled conditions are fine and dandy but I think your experience would be much different in Real World Conditions. This video easily gives the newbie a serious false sense of security and could put them in harms way.

But then again, what do I know, I only had to help rescue a guy last year because of the scenerio outlined above.

Once you hit the water, without a belt or jacket over the waders. The wind blows the kayak away from you faster then you can swim.
slowride
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by slowride »

Jolly Roger wrote:
You were sitting across from me in that burger joint in Texas city during a stars and stripes when the coasties had to rescure a few guys. Don't rembember?
was that those guys that got blown offshore near dollar point? i remember them getting rescued but i thought they were stranded on an island or a bar.
Jim Sammons LJKF

The Paddle jacket over the waders was a huge water barrier. If done with a dry top rather than a splash top it would be even better
Play2Win
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Play2Win »

Jolly Roger wrote:
Once you hit the water, without a belt or jacket over the waders. The wind blows the kayak away from you faster then you can swim.
Yep,

My situation happened in churchill bayou. A popular spot for yakers and very few realize how dangerous the currents in that area can be. Now throw in the inexperienced, the panic and confusion when you turtle unexpectedly.The only reason this guy survived was because his Inflatable PFD actually worked.
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

I could only watch it until Jim started taking his clothes off..then I had to fast forward it a bit.. :D Neopremes fill even slower and fit much tighter..but the downside is that that are harder to take off but when in my breathables I experience the same vacuum effect you describe...I have to agree with you that some people can't get back in their kayak even with assistance during the summer...those are typically the ones in need of rescue...
Jolly Roger
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Jolly Roger »

Jim Sammons LJKF wrote:As soon as our rain passes we will be doing part two in which I will flood the waders completely and see how we do. I think the biggest problem will be getting the wader to flood. There is so much pressure on the legs the water just trickled in.

During our day the temps start out cold, people have jackets and such on. Once it starts to warm they loose the jacket and often undo the belt to take off som layers under the waders.

They can forget to put the blet back on, or do not tighten it back up. This is what led to the problems I had with them.

He went in, seperated from the kayak. Tried to swim back to the kayak. Waders started to fill. I caught his kayak, but even then he could not pull himself back into it. Because of the extra weight.

His waders were loose fitting, because he was a wade fishermen and layered under his wader except for his wading jacket. Most fishing jackets used in Texas do not have a neoprene gasket on them. They can keep water from coming into the waders when swiming, but that is about it.

Will be looking foward to it. If you can try to find some waders a little oversized for you to try also. Please :lol:
Last edited by Jolly Roger on Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

the inexperienced, the panic and confusion
that could happen regardless of what that person was wearing
Play2Win
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Play2Win »

vincent wrote:
the inexperienced, the panic and confusion
that could happen regardless of what that person was wearing

Or not wearing...
slowride
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by slowride »

the moral of this story is "good gear used properly saves lives".
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

I'm not much of a supporter of the inexperienced fishing during the winter period...too many hazards for newbies..
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

Or Dean...learn to get back in your kayak or you have no business owning one...period
Jolly Roger
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Jolly Roger »

slowride wrote:
Jolly Roger wrote:
was that those guys that got blown offshore near dollar point? i remember them getting rescued but i thought they were stranded on an island or a bar.
Yeah, went over because of the waves, got back in the kayak. But went back over. I do not remeber if they got back in the kayak a third time, but they ended up in the water, to tierd to pull themselves back in. By the time they tried again ,waders had a large amount of water in them.

At least that was the story I got, and it has been some time soI moight has missed a few details.

But long story short. If there waders would not have filled. They could have waited 30 minutes for the wind to stop blowing 30+. Got back in the kayak and had a scary story. But instead they had to call the coast guard, then had to go the hospital from the cold
slowride
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by slowride »

vincent wrote:Or Dean...learn to get back in your kayak or you have no business owning one...period

that is a good one too.
REDline
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by REDline »

why not do the test video with waders full of water :idea: