Are there redfish in Salt Lake (Rockport)?

ilikeflyfishing

Are there redfish in Salt Lake (Rockport)?

Post by ilikeflyfishing »

I just bought a house and the backyard is Salt Lake. (Officially mine April 20th or earlier!)

I plan to buy some kayaks and kayak this bay. But are there reds here?? Can someone kind of tell me where? I read something about redfish lodge on this forum.

My friend has a house on Perch Lane that dumps into Salt Lake and I've caught nice trout and seen reds there too. I'm gonna put a dock in and put 2 or 3 underwater night lights. My house would be on the north side of Salt Lake (south side of Copano Ridge road).

Thanks a lot.
Tombo

Re: Are there redfish in Salt Lake (Rockport)?

Post by Tombo »

First off welcome to TKF and I also live on Salt Lake, Copano Cove side. And, yes there are Redfish here. Just came in from looking at our underwater light, about 10 Redfish hanging around. My house is off of Salt Lake Rd.
PM me for more questions
Tom
EdK

Post by EdK »

Put me on the buddy list :mrgreen:
ilikeflyfishing

i don't know if any of you read backwaterhawgs back in the day, but i was dds on that forum.

are there flats you can wade in salt lake or is it just muddy? any deeper holes or is it all shallow. i looked on google maps and when i was down there for home inspection, i noticed the houses next to mine had boats docked so i think my house and the bay access is a deeper channel (which means maybe bigger reds for night fishing??)
rockportkayak
Location: Rockport,TX---Viking Reload,Viking 400 Lite, Viking 2plus1

Post by rockportkayak »

welcome to the neighborhood
djNorTex

Post by djNorTex »

Just returned from a vacation there. We caught two slot reds and several smaller reds. Also killed the trout. We rented a place at the end of Copano Ridge Rd. Most were caught from the dock, others were from the kayak hanging in the shallows and fishing into the boat channels. Tom I kept meaning to call you, but was being run ragged by the two kids, thanks for the info provided over the phone.
Attachments
IMG_93098x6.jpg
ilikeflyfishing

djendrey wrote:Just returned from a vacation there. We caught two slot reds and several smaller reds. Also killed the trout. We rented a place at the end of Copano Ridge Rd.
awesome. that's near my future house.

when i'm down there sometime and i have a dock with fishing lights set up, if any of you guys from here are down there, we can drink some beer and catch some fish and talk fishing. i'm gonna try to go down quite a bit and learn the sweet fishing spots.
ilikeflyfishing

I went down this weekend to haul a ton of stuff down. Should be officially be my house this week.

Who wants to fish sometime soon??

Check out the view!

El Pescador04

Post by El Pescador04 »

ilikeflyfishing wrote:I went down this weekend to haul a ton of stuff down. Should be officially be my house this week.

Who wants to fish sometime soon??

Check out the view!

I do!!!! Lol :dance:
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Cool, I can barely see our home in your pic. PM me next time in town so we can share a cup of coffee or something. Like Fishman, I can talk fishing all day (I think that is a good thing)
SmilinJoe

Post by SmilinJoe »

Out this weekend to Rockport, stayed close to Balboa Courts and tried to get a deep sea charter but it was canceled due to the wind. We tried really hard to catch them but only getting hard heads and gafftops. Hopefully I will get another chance in June. What do you all think the best time to be out there? Either deep sea or off the banks or piers?
fred

Post by fred »

I'm just across the way about 3 miles at the south end of the airport off Bay Rd. I typically fish Port Bay. PM or email me whenever you'd like to go. I'm full time and retired so available most days. Are there any public accesses to Salt Lake? It looks interesting but I've never tried it.
thanx,
f
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Closest launch point is a boat ramp off of Pintail, Copano Cove.
ilikeflyfishing

FINALLY stayed down there overnight for the first time. I ghetto rigged up construction type flood lamps to shine in the water to fish. Paint cans to hold it down in the wind! I have 2 green underwater lights and dock construction this week.
Caught some reds (undersized -- largest was 18) and bunch of drum. Haven't had a chance to fly fish yet, just bait cast. Saw a bobber moving around too that I tried to snag; maybe it was a large red. Saw a dolphin swimming so there must be deeper spots in this bay.

Bought 2 kayaks also -- nothing fancy. Both Pelicans, one is better for fly fishing vs the other; I can't wait to kayak to those little islands in the middle and see what's over there. Maybe I'll buy a cheapo depth finder and put it on kayak too.

When I finally am not working on the house, I would love to fish or meet up with some of you guys (esp Tombo since he's my neighbor somewhere across the bay).
Anyone ever catch any large reds in this lake?

16'' drum

Working hard fixing up inside stuff.

Tombo

Post by Tombo »

The only depth finder you will need is a pole. Deepest spot is only about 4' :D
As always it seems the fishing is better on the other side. I can show you all you need to know in one trip. PM me next time just prior to comig down.
TOm
rockportkayak
Location: Rockport,TX---Viking Reload,Viking 400 Lite, Viking 2plus1

Post by rockportkayak »

yeah, most visitors here are surprised when i go in off the 450ft pier into water barely waist deep. It's really fun to come wading up from the reef after dark and tell people on the pier you just walked across.
ilikeflyfishing

I just ordered Monster Green Fishing lights for install next week!

Ahhhhhhh. I found out it costs like 4 bucks a month to run them every night. Gonna establish a pattern.
triggerman

Post by triggerman »

I'm going to be staying down there in a few weeks on salt lake...does anyone drift with a shallow running boat?

your house looks nice!

Thanks
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I can help with a couple spots to keep you busy.
Caseyb329

Post by Caseyb329 »

I know this is an old post but thought Id see if there are any Reds or trout still in Salt Lake...I rented a house on Donna lane. Thanks for any help!
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Caseyb329 wrote:I know this is an old post but thought Id see if there are any Reds or trout still in Salt Lake...I rented a house on Donna lane. Thanks for any help!
Pretty dead in Salt Lake. Most of the action I saw was at night.
The house you rented, if it has lights to attract bait fish, I would fish there.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

ilikeflyfishing wrote:
when i'm down there sometime and i have a dock with fishing lights set up, if any of you guys from here are down there, we can drink some beer and catch some fish and talk fishing. i'm gonna try to go down quite a bit and learn the sweet fishing spots.
You may end up with a well-worn path to your door....uh....err...dock :lol: :lol:
pelican foot

Post by pelican foot »

Just inherited a house a couple of miles from Salt Lake. Had my Scrambler XT (which was great for the coast ) stolen. Got a10 foot Tammarak and added a rudder, a more comfy seat, and trolling motor.
wittich

Post by wittich »

I have a house on Salt Lake . The fishing can be good at times. The issue for me is water clarity.
The wind quickly dirties up the water in Salt lake. In this case, I prefer to go other bay systems with clear water to sight cast in.
If you get a winter day with low water the boats can't move around and it can be amazing in a kayak.