Question on SA Bay

IndyKid

Question on SA Bay

Post by IndyKid »

to you guys that are familiar with san antonio bay. Been scouting some places to fish next trip down next week. I was looking at the marsh point and the shoreline north of it and around lucas lake. How deep is the water up to the shoreline and whats the shoreline like? any salt grass or is it all sandy w/o grass. Looking for an area w/ grass to do some sightcasting in the early am with my fly

edit: looks to be a long paddle from any launch...
Spot_n_tails1

Re: Question on SA Bay

Post by Spot_n_tails1 »

wish i could help, i have always fished the east end of the bay and from a PB when i fished that bay, but from what i see it looks like a good spot.
IndyKid

Post by IndyKid »

yeah looks fishy, guess I'll have to go explore
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Should be able to find reds. I'd definitely make sure to watch the winds as it would get pretty nasty on a SE wind. Also, be careful of gators, lots in that area.
macjank7

Post by macjank7 »

Paddle there and check it out. Why are you scared?
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

That marsh is one of the major shrimp and crab estuaries on the Texas Coast and yes, long paddle from any launch. Shortest being from the ramp at Austwell and that would be too long a paddle for me, especially considering how winds can be down there. I have never made that paddle, but I have attempted to fish those shorelines. Problem was, I was always in a power boat looking to wade and it is shallow and muddy up there. And it is soft, nasty mud.

The only real successful trips I have had to that part of SA Bay was fishing the birds in the fall. Can be excellent for trout under the birds, but I can only remember catching a few reds; maybe 1 red for every 10 or so trout.

Best redfish catches I have had in that Bay have been along the shorelines of the Aransas NWR. Those almost epic days of catching reds on topwaters along the shoreline flats was a long time ago, when the shoreline at Dagger Point was covered with grass beds. Reds were thick over that grass. But there hasn't been much grass there since the late 90s.
RippingLips

Post by RippingLips »

Not too familiar with that area. Fish mostly up towards Mesquite Bay area to the South. I hope the water quality gets better in the near future. I understand the dredging of Cedar Bayou has started. I do well on Reds down in that area but I usually take my kayak out in my boat.
Garrett891

Post by Garrett891 »

IndyKid wrote:to you guys that are familiar with san antonio bay. Been scouting some places to fish next trip down next week. I was looking at the marsh point and the shoreline north of it and around lucas lake. How deep is the water up to the shoreline and whats the shoreline like? any salt grass or is it all sandy w/o grass. Looking for an area w/ grass to do some sightcasting in the early am with my fly

edit: looks to be a long paddle from any launch...
Been years since the post, but did you ever make it out there? I have a trolling motor on my yak and even then feel like it would be a haul, plus there's no telling if the shore line of that marsh is salt grass. Any feedback?