SUP fishing?

Chubs

SUP fishing?

Post by Chubs »

The Hobie Lynx thread got me thinking...

I know we had a few topics on this a few years ago. I poopooed the idea, but then I've been seeing more advertising for stand up paddle board fishing platforms. Also the whole microskiff/ BOTE fishing done by some Youtubers (Thresher). I'm not sure if a BOTE counts as a SUP though.

I keep eyeing this fishing SUP from seaeagle:
https://www.seaeagle.com/FishingSUPs/FS126

Yes it's inflatable, that doesn't bother me anymore since I've had my 385FTA for a few years in the salt now with no trouble. What my concern is, is how well do SUPs work in the salt with our sometimes high winds ~15 mph.
SWFinatic

Re: SUP fishing?

Post by SWFinatic »

Chubs I don't have any experience on a SUP. I watch Mark's Fishing Channel on YouTube as many here do. He fishes from an inflatable SUP pretty much exclusively in the back lakes/marsh. He has mentioned many times even the slightest wind will blow him like a sail. He actually motherships his SUP to the fishing area with his boat then paddles around back lakes that are somewhat protected by tall grass. Mark says the reason he went with a SUP is the get shallow. He floats his in 3" of water with him and his gear on it. Also Mark rigged his with a framed kayak chair and it's elevated (which doesn't help with the wind aspect) which helps him see the fish. Here's a video of Mark highlighting his SUP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQHByFkcS1M

Getting to and from those marsh areas would be my biggest concern based on what I've seen from them.
2 Weight Willie

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

Thesher has put a lot of money into it. Gear holders, new motor, etc. I agree with u it really isn't a sup. If u were interested in it I would get a California board Marlin 10'. Here's a link, https://www.californiaboardcompany.com/ ... p-redesign

I've been on one before (mom's friend) and it handed approx. 12 mph gusts fairly well. It is also at a great price point. Id consider it chubbs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
2 Weight Willie

Live2fish boards are said to be very durable and especially stable, but there so dang expensive.

impulse

Post by impulse »

Before I'd recommend an SUP, I'd suggest taking a trip in one. They look great and they are fun. But they're not nearly as efficient to paddle as a kayak.

The yellow one here is what I'd suggest, available under brand name Bris and Saturn on Amazon. It doesn't have nearly enough air in it, and the guy paddling is one of my Chinese neighbors on his first try... Also, the seats aren't in it, and obviously, it doesn't have the optional outboard motor. It paddles like an SUP and goes anywhere an SUP will float, with a lot more flexibility for rowing and mounting a motor.

I tried the others (shown at my apartment pool in Bangkok). They're great for SUP'ing, but my back got very sore paddling any distance. Maybe an elevated seat would have made a difference, but the yellow one is still superior for fishing and flexibility. The floor is basically a drop-stitched SUP. I've used it (properly inflated) as a rowboat, an SUP, a kayak, and a power boat.

If you're dead set on an SUP, I like the blue/white/black one because it has 3 chambers in case I spring a leak a mile from shore.
Attachments
SUP 2a.jpg
SUP 1a.jpg
TJ SUP.jpg
Last edited by impulse on Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 Weight Willie

I like hard sups...yes, yes I know they don't fold up and fit in the back seat but I'd take a hard over an inflatable any day.

impulse

Post by impulse »

2 Weight Willie wrote:I like hard sups...yes, yes I know they don't fold up and fit in the back seat but I'd take a hard over an inflatable any day.
I've not spent a lot of time in a hard SUP. I tried them, and liked them. I bought several inflatables at fishing trade shows to try them out and see if I wanted to import them, and which models.

The biggest issue is storage, especially for people who live in an apartment with no garage. (That would have been my target market for importing them) I've also taken my green SUP on an airplane as baggage (under 50# with paddle, PFD, seat, etc.) No way I could do that with a 12' hard SUP.

Edit: The drop stitch construction makes them hard as a rock if they're inflated properly. But even a hard sided SUP doesn't paddle nearly as efficiently as a kayak.
Last edited by impulse on Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 Weight Willie

All good points. I agree tho, no sup can surpass a kayak in efficiency.

SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Chubs if you or anyone wants to go the SUP route here's a smoking deal on a Wilderness Air Pro Max adjustable framed seat to add to it. $70 bucks plus $10 shipping is a great deal.
Edit I removed the link as Impulse stated this site is suspect at best.
impulse

Post by impulse »

SWFinatic wrote:Chubs if you or anyone wants to go the SUP route here's a smoking deal on a Wilderness Air Pro Max adjustable framed seat to add to it. $70 bucks plus $10 shipping is a great deal.
https://www.teszia.com/wilderness-syste ... 8kEALw_wcB
That website doesn't pass the sniff test. Has a 251 area code from Alabama, yet the address is a single family home in California (Google Earth). And they claim to have 30 branches in 8 regions.

whois information about the website ownership is all private, and they make a lot of the "scam detector" lists if you search the name in google.

Proceed at your own risk.
2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: Re: SUP fishing?

impulse wrote:
SWFinatic wrote:Chubs if you or anyone wants to go the SUP route here's a smoking deal on a Wilderness Air Pro Max adjustable framed seat to add to it. $70 bucks plus $10 shipping is a great deal.
https://www.teszia.com/wilderness-syste ... 8kEALw_wcB
That website doesn't pass the sniff test. Has a 251 area code from Alabama, yet the address is a single family home in California (Google Earth). And they claim to have 30 branches in 8 regions.

whois information about the website ownership is all private, and they make a lot of the "scam detector" lists if you search the name in google.

Proceed at your own risk.
You should be a sniffer dog...for websites. I'm impressed

SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Impulse I think you're right I had one in their checkout box and backed out of it after thinking about it. Those seats are north of $400 from Wilderness. If it's too good to be true it probably is.
impulse

Post by impulse »

SWFinatic wrote:Impulse I think you're right I had one in their checkout box and backed out of it after thinking about it. Those seats are north of $400 from Wilderness. If it's too good to be true it probably is.
I'm not sure which is worse... Paying $400 for a kayak seat, or paying $65 for nuthin'.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

impulse wrote:
SWFinatic wrote:Impulse I think you're right I had one in their checkout box and backed out of it after thinking about it. Those seats are north of $400 from Wilderness. If it's too good to be true it probably is.
I'm not sure which is worse... Paying $400 for a kayak seat, or paying $65 for nuthin'.
Lol yeah when I had to replace my Hobie Pro Angler seat once I bout went into shock when I saw they were over $600. Fortunately I found one in a warehouse for a hundred bux
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

All good info and consideration. I guess i was thinking the SeaEagle has the built in trolling motor mount which I'd plan on using. Though I have the trolling motor mount for my fta385 and I never use it because it's a hassle... lol.

I like inflatables because I can stow them in my camper for a road trip much easier than the hardys. They don't paddle as well to be fair, they are a bit of a pain to setup and clean, but it beats no kayak.

I bookmarked Mark's video to watch later. Thanks for the info all.
impulse

Post by impulse »

If anyone does get an inflatable SUP or any high pressure inflatable, I suggest buying a rechargeable electric air pump in addition to the manual pump that comes with the unit. I use the electric pump to inflate them most of the way. But the cheap and portable electric pumps won't put out enough pressure so I use the manual pump to top them up to the 15 psi. That way, I only pump manually 10-20 strokes instead of 100+ strokes if I just use the manual pump.

Something like these, and I added an adapter hose to fit the fill port. They should be universal, but some fit one brand, and some fit others. I have one brand with 2 different port sizes on the different chambers. Go figure... Ya just gotta try them out. I'd also suggest getting an adapter to fill your SUP with a compressor.

It's hell getting old, but it forces me to find other, better ways to do stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Dr- ... B07GPJ7PNY

https://www.amazon.com/Super-SW-Inflata ... B07SXGZ2CB

https://www.amazon.com/Heytur-Inflatabl ... B07JKQWGPX

BTW, I bought that exact style electric pump in Feb 2019 and it's still kicking like it's brand new. I fill all 3 of my inflatables in China on one charge, and reverse the pump to deflate them when it's time to go home. And still have plenty of power left over in the rechargeable battery.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Chubs wrote:All good info and consideration. I guess i was thinking the SeaEagle has the built in trolling motor mount which I'd plan on using. Though I have the trolling motor mount for my fta385 and I never use it because it's a hassle... lol.
I like the Sea Eagle 437ps, though I've never putt my mitts on one. It's another variation of my yellow inflatable, with some nice features I didn't get with mine. (especially the catamaran hull) I get well over 10 mph with an ancient 5hp Yamaha 2 stroker. So I'm not limited at all on range, nor worried about the inefficient paddling. Another old fart feature...

It's more expensive than the Bris or Saturn models, but they've been out of stock a lot since Covid.