Tide charts with actual along with predictions?

impulse

Tide charts with actual along with predictions?

Post by impulse »

Help me out here. I once saw a tide chart showing the actual tide level plotted against the predicted tide. But I can't seem to find it in my history or bookmarks. Can anyone provide a link?

Reason I'm asking is that the tide here in Sea Isle is as low as I ever remember. The wind seems to have blown the water right out of West Bay. I doubt we could launch a boat today in the canal. It's about 4' lower than it was before the wind started blowing. And it's way too windy to even think about kayak fishing.

So I'm curious how much lower it is than predicted...

Edit: On a positive note, the tide's low enough to put on a pair of waders and do some maintenance on the dock without getting wet. But only if it warms up a little.
OldTownYakBoi

Re: Tide charts with actual along with predictions?

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Impulse, unfortunately I cannot help you with the tide question…. But I will add that these are the lowest tides I ever remember. Even lower than the winter low tides we get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Don't know exactly where you are, but:

Google: NOAA Tides and Currents 8771450. That will show numerous links. Click on the one that says:

Water Levels-8771450. That will get you Galveston Buoy actual and predicted water levels.

Scroll down, and there will be a box that says "Nearby Stations". Click on that and you will probably find a reporting station near you. Maybe. Good luck. TexasJim
impulse

Post by impulse »

Thanks, Texas Jim. That's the one I remember.

Part of my objective is to warn people before they make the trip... It's tempting because it's October, the weekend's upon us, and flounder season this year ends in a couple of days.

But if you do come down, count on loooooow tides, murky water that's getting colder fast, and a fierce wind.

Other than that, it's perfect.
Attachments
Wtr Temp.jpg
Wtr Temp.jpg (16.83 KiB) Viewed 4539 times
Tides.jpg
Tides.jpg (17.44 KiB) Viewed 4539 times
impulse

Post by impulse »

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to talk anybody out of fishing this weekend. I guaranty you some YouTuber will post up a video on Monday where he ran into an October school of reds or flounder and had a blast this weekend.

But dress warm, and plan your trip around the tide and wind. And keep in mind that some of the shallow, sheltered marshes are bone dry to a few inches deep. And cold.

But the fish are out there somewhere... And on the move because of the water temperature drop.

Here's a look at the tides for a couple of weeks. We had been running about a foot above forecast, until the wind picked up...
Attachments
Tides 2.jpg
Tides 2.jpg (35.29 KiB) Viewed 4526 times
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Thanks for this post, Impulse!
impulse

Post by impulse »

Still a little chilly, but the sun's warming us up. Wind is pretty calm. Tide is still low, but it's rebounding and so is the water temp. Here's today's data from San Luis Pass. Tide is still real low in Sea Isle canals, and I'll once again be throwing on a pair of waders to do some more work on my neighbor's dock while the water is less than waist deep. Then hopping in the kayak this afternoon to try my luck... Looks like a great fishing day, but dress warm.

On an aside, I'm surprised how fast the water temperature went down, then back up. Dropped 15 degrees in about a day, then back up over 5 degrees in a few hours...
Attachments
noaanosco-opswater-tempe.jpeg
noaanosco-opsobserved-wa.jpeg
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Incoming tide bringing relatively warm water from the deeper gulf onto the gauges. Shallow bays chill much more quickly, especially in big winds, or heat up quickly with lots of sun on them. But, based on the timing on the graph, that’s warmer water from the gulf coming into the bay causing the nearly instant temperature rise. That’s my 2 cents.
impulse

Post by impulse »

I'm sure you're right about that warmer water coming in from the deep... I guess it will take longer to warm up the water further from the Pass. Something to consider if anyone decides to go fishing this weekend in West Bay.

They may not be where they were last week. Even if the weather warms up like it seems to be doing, the water isn't the same. Adjust your fishing accordingly. (And watch out for hypothermia if you happen to fall in)
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Is there enough water for a night trip?
impulse

Post by impulse »

It's a beautiful evening with almost no wind. Canal water has come up a foot or more. I can't say whether the fishing will be good, but the weather and water looks great for an evening/late night kayak trip to the canals. Best fishing has been near the end of the canals and off into the bay.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Thanks. Depending on this WS game I may try to venture out.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

It can be tough to maneuver your boat on extreme low tides, but if you know where to look, you can find extreme fish concentrations.
NW wind empties the bays, and the fish will be stacked where the returning tide will bring them bait.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

I got in em thick today, reds everywhere. Will post report tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Cannot wait for YakBoi's report and Watson's anticipated haul.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Watson should do well. I caught 2 keeper trout in about 5 minutes off the back dock on a Vudu shrimp, white with pink tail. Released them both, and went inside to give the lights a rest. They spook pretty easily, then you have to move for a while.

Great to hear YakBoi did well on the reds. Maybe tomorrow, when I don't have any dock repairs scheduled. Low tide the past 2 days were some of the few days every year I can wade up under the docks with power tools and not get them wet and trip the GFI or soak the 20V batteries. I also pulled all 5 of my green LED lights for their regular power wash, to knock off the algae and barnacles. Nice and bright tonight.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Impulse - it is pleasure knowing you and we appreciate all you do for us. It's nice having eyes on the bay and access to real-time reporting.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Yassir.. Impulse is our TKF Agent 007 in Sea Isle. Thanks for all your useful info, brother.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

After the Astros lost I just went to bed. I plan on heading out tonight though sonif anyone wants to join me, let me know.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

The Astros won last night, Mike. They're headed back to Houston for World Series game six, tomorrow.

The odds are against them, but I say "GO 'STROS! ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Saturday morning I launched well before daylight and found my usual area high and dry because of the dump. The above NOAA site had told me as much, but I didn't expect the water to be quite that low. At first I grumbled that it might be an ugly morning but I turned around and paddled new shorelines in search of signs, using the refinery lights to help me spot exposed backs in the darkness. Judging the distance to fish in the dark was tricky with a flyrod but manageable, and to avoid spooking the fish I used a tiny shrimp imitation. Managed a limit of fish and was already headed back to the truck as the Saturday morning crowd was coming onto the water.

impulse

Post by impulse »

Not sure why, but Saturday night/ Sunday morning the green lights were chock full of mullets. So thick at times, you couldn't see the lights. My neighbor on the end said the same thing. His lights on the bay were absolutely thick with mullets.