Austin Canoe & Kayak Sold?

JW FunGuy

Re: Austin Canoe & Kayak Sold?

Post by JW FunGuy »

Actually the one in Austin was better attended by all the brands, with demonstrations etc. If you look back at their videos of the demos most were filmed at that location. I worked the demos for my companies for many years. I would do Austin one day and San Marcos the next. There was a marked difference in the two. But was was even more striking is how bad it became after the “sell”.
There are, unfortunately, a very few “specialty” retailers left. The ones that come to mind are Gruene Outfitters, Whole Earth Provision Co, Good Sports and the kayak dealers we mentioned that have yet to take ACK’s place. REI still hangs in there for specialty items but not for kayak and fishing.
And I have to add as well that Covid continues to drive nails into the retailers coffin.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

To get back to the OPs question about KATS. So after I sold the KATS to ACK, they jacked the entry fees, added divisions, spread the events out across the state and reduced actual cash payouts in lieu of gift certificates to their store and a grand prize of a new kayak. Good deal for them, not so much for the contestants. With KATS now history, there is a void in kayak fishing tourneys for those inclined to do so. I've been kicking around the idea of going back to the original idea of keeping entry fees low and doing 100% payouts over the top 3 to 6 places (depending on the # of contestants) and having events in SA and hill county sans event sponsors. Maybe label it TKF tourney (TKFT) if the powers to be allow it. That's how the whole thing got going in the first place...we'll see 8)
impulse

Post by impulse »

Anyone close enough to know if the buyers of ACK pulled the classic "buy a going concern, milk it and load it up with debt, and declare bankruptcy" trick?
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

impulse wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:43 pm Anyone close enough to know if the buyers of ACK pulled the classic "buy a going concern, milk it and load it up with debt, and declare bankruptcy" trick?
Could be the case looks like they're trying to sell off what they have.

https://austin.craigslist.org/for/d/aus ... 55843.html
creekstone

Post by creekstone »

Last September I was trying to track down a Hobie Revolution 13. ACK, both my local store and corporate, were less than helpful. FTU told me they had just placed their 2022 order, which didn't include any Revos, and could not revise their order.

Based on this article, ACK quit ordering inventory and was behind on payments for received inventory:

https://paddlingmag.com/paddling-busine ... ak-closed/

FTU is now the only authorized Hobie dealer in the Houston market. I have to believe that will change. Plus, Hobie sold to an investment group awhile back with intentions of "expanding their distribution".

A somewhat similar thing recently happened with Bike Barn, the largest bike retailer in Houston with multiple stores. Trek bought them and liquidated all bike brands other than Trek.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

ACK closed its doors but other doors opened, namely Fin Factor move the store from Mercedes to San Antonio. They are a Hobie dealer amongst other brands.
NBDK

Post by NBDK »

Just wanted to let yall know, we're moving our shop to Austin. ACK is some big shoes to fill, but we're going to do our best to close the gap. Just wired money to Hobie today or our first order! We'll be doing online sales as well as in store in Pflugerville. More info in this thread: https://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/v ... p?t=254533