Tarpon 160i seating options

fl429

Tarpon 160i seating options

Post by fl429 »

I bought a nice Tarpon 160i, which is missing the seat pad. Two questions,

1) what do you recommend for a comfortable replacement?
2) are there anybody tried to put the newer "Phase 3 Air Pro" seat in the 160i?

I like 160i better because it is lighter than the newer model 160.
THANKS
Greg
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Tarpon 160i seating options

Post by Neumie »

The Phase 3 seating found on the last generation will not work on the T160i.

Topkayaker carries the factory seat pad, but they are currently sold out: https://topkayaker.com/index.php?main_p ... cts_id=483

Surf to Summit makes after market seat pads: https://www.surftosummit.com/collection ... eat-grande

Surf to Summit also make great aftermarket seats which will fit your kayak. I have the GTS Elite for my Perception Search 15 and GTS Pro for my WS The Ride. The GTS Pro offers a lot of butt cushion, but the Elite has a higher back for better support. The GTS Expedition combines these two characteristics. Skwoosh also makes popular aftermarket kayak seats for older kayaks without frame seats.
fl429

Post by fl429 »

Thank you, Neumie.
RedXRunner

Post by RedXRunner »

I can't seem to find the Harmony BTS Rudder Kit anywhere. What rudder would y'all recommend for a 140 & 160?
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

This Perception Rudder Kit and this Rudder Bracket should work with a Tarpon 160i or older. May need Bolts to mount the rudder bracket if yours were removed at some point.

I have several kits of of the Smart Track rudder system that I was given from a closed kayak shop I recently acquired. I haven't been through them yet to make sure all the small pieces are there, but I'd sell you a kit for $200.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

Kinda on the subject but I have installed several rudder systems on kayaks lacking mounts with the use of jack nuts. I'd drill 3/8 or1/2" holes in the stern (whatever size the jacknut needed) then liberally apply Plumbers Goop around, in and on the jack nut, insert and deploy. When mounting the rudder bracket, Id place rubber washers between the hull and bracket so when it tightened down, water wouldn't penetrate. Lube the SS bolts up with anticease before inserting. I got a fresh/salt kayak using this method 8 years old and I can still remove the bolts so it works.
Ditto Nuemies advice on SurftoSummit seats, love a good strap seat on the SOT or any kayak that I paddle.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

I paddled a T160 for years before joining the Hobie Navy. My 160 tracked so well I never felt a need for a rudder and, in fact, the one 160 that I rented prior to buying mine had a rudder that I found to be more of a hindrance.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

mwatson71 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:44 pm I paddled a T160 for years before joining the Hobie Navy. My 160 tracked so well I never felt a need for a rudder and, in fact, the one 160 that I rented prior to buying mine had a rudder that I found to be more of a hindrance.
I too have found the same with rudders.

How is the quality with the new tarpon 120? I kayaked the newer 105 and liked (tracking) some aspects and disliked others( materials)
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

Agreed, rudders are a drag..literally. I only deploy mine when fishing for adjustments in the wind. A good paddling technique will keep any kayak going straight
RedXRunner

Post by RedXRunner »

Neumie wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:34 pm This Perception Rudder Kit and this Rudder Bracket should work with a Tarpon 160i or older. May need Bolts to mount the rudder bracket if yours were removed at some point.

I have several kits of of the Smart Track rudder system that I was given from a closed kayak shop I recently acquired. I haven't been through them yet to make sure all the small pieces are there, but I'd sell you a kit for $200.
Thank you. I will inspect the kayak and see what works best for me.
impulse

Post by impulse »

My T160 seat covers disintegrated in the sun. I bought a generic seat at Academy, similar to the tons of choices on Amazon for about $45. It took some weaving of all the straps it came with to get it set up on the existing T160 seat frame, and I've been happy with the performance for over a year now. It's not height adjustable any more, but it still gives great back support. I didn't find it necessary to drill any holes, I just threaded and adjusted the straps.

Here's a similar seat I ordered for a family Hobie Outback when the genuine Hobie replacement seat came up at $210 plus shipping....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RM2M4R

Very happy with the fit into the Hobie (Back seat of a tandem). I set it with 2 SST screws and the straps pretty much duplicated the adjustments except the infltability of the $210 seat. It's very comfortable.

Just to be clear, my T160 isn't a T160I, but the generic seats sure seem to be flexible. I've installed 4 of them into various kayaks and they all adjusted up nicely.