Sportsman Road Launch blocked!? What’s the deal

OldTownYakBoi

Re: Sportsman Road Launch blocked!? What’s the deal

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

saltykat wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:15 am Is there a phone number I can call to speak to someone about this in Galveston. I've tried to find a number to call but had no luck
I would try the City of Galveston Planning Department

409-797- 3660
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

[quote=OldTownYakBoi

I would try the City of Galveston Planning Department

409-797- 3660
[/quote]

I tried that number then they gave me another number to call they didn't know anything and they gave me another number I called them and they didn't know anything. Just a lot of people that work for the city and don't know anything about it. :evil:
SteveRetrieve

Post by SteveRetrieve »

edit: Deleted hoopla about public road right-of-way and city abandoning roads. I originally thought this was the end of the road, not the little area that the city maintains as, basically, a park.

There would almost certainly be a deed recorded in which the city conveys the land to a private land owner if that were the case. If this were still public land, then the adjoining land owners obviously have no authority to barricade it. Maybe the city is planning on re-grading the surface and doesn't want vehicles parked there for when they eventually get down there and do the darn thing?
Last edited by SteveRetrieve on Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveRetrieve

Post by SteveRetrieve »

impulse wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:51 am
Oh, and I'd still be happy to toss the kayak on top the van and join a grass roots meet-up to legally park a few dozen cars on the public road in front of the houses and legally launch at the now blocked off access point. I don't see any no trespassing signs, just blocking vehicular traffic. Not much different than the bollards on the beach. But if we do, let's be polite and wave at the homeowners. That'll get their attention and possibly bring the issue to a head.
This. No signs I'd assume it's still public, and happily carry my gear across it and launch my yak.
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

If this launch is closed I wouldn't rent a house in Galveston where I spent 20k last winter and my guests spent a bunch more money. I would go some where else so I would like to find out asap.
pelochas

Post by pelochas »

I saw that a few weeks ago. I use sportsman for over 15 years. Understand the neighbors are simply tired of the trash, tresspassing and illegal parking. I speak to them whenever they are walking or cleaning their yards. Losing access to these areas are only our problem. Saw this coming for years.

To add insult , they put up all the signs, i go launch my kayak and these fisherman park their truck in front of the no parking sign. Come back a few hours, trash all over the launch area, this place is getting hammered. I had great memories there but screw this. Trashed up Fisherman totally F this up. We try to help but its overwhelming.
TX All Water Fishing

Post by TX All Water Fishing »

It's very frustrating to watch our ability to access public waters slowly be taken away. We should have the same rights to access the water as homeowners or commercial landowners have. Everything in and including the water belongs to the state of Texas, and as a resident to the state our rights are slowly being stripped away. There should be public access to any and all water ways every "X" number of miles to assure that everyone can access the same waters. No matter if you wade, bank, or kayak fish. The water shouldn't be for the privilege or just a certain group of people, such as boat owners/landowners surrounding the water. But then again, that's just my thought LOL
chinookhead

Post by chinookhead »

Can I still legally:

1) Launch my kayak at the end of Sportsman road.

or

2) Launch at that concrete blocked ramp if I drag my kayak in or is it closed to even foot traffic and not just vehicle use?

I'm coming this week after not fishing in the area for 2 years. Thanks!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Here's the latest on my involvement in this closure issue. I mailed 3 separate legal demand letters about 3 months ago to the City of Galveston, the City Planning Dept. & the City Legal Dept.

I informed them of my representation of hundreds of angry kayakers who have been using this public launch ramp for over 30 years. And I reminded them they had closed down that public ramp summarily with no customary legal notice or opportunity for opposing views.

In closing I asked for an immediate meeting with them to discuss the issue, and if no cooperation, threatened them with a lawsuit.

I heard nothing in reply. That means the City is saying "bring it on."

At this point I'm discouraged because such a lawsuit would cost about $100,000 in legal fees and possibly take 2 years. Personally, that's a wall I decline to climb because our chances of losing the lawsuit are probably over 50%. I researched the applicable City Ordinances and found out they say nothing about such public closures.

That's where it stands. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Sounds like a big bunch of kayakers all need to go there, en masse., and launch in a big group, jumping the barrier, and see what the city and/or the property owners do.
TexasJim
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I like your spunk, Texas Jim! Your method would probably force the Ciy to meet with us, but it would also give them a strong argument that we are out of control & can't be trusted with that public ramp.

Keep the ideas coming. Sometimes the strictly "legal" way ain't the best way.

creekstone

Post by creekstone »

Has anybody been there lately? Are the concrete barriers still there? Any signs saying the launch is closed?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

We need @OldTownYakBoi to answer that, along with the question from @chinookhead

Imagine Jim as the Ghandi of TKF passive resistance.
K5RCD

Post by K5RCD »

If the location is within the Galveston City Limits, I would contact the City Council, and request
a place on the agenda, to address the subject at a future Council Meeting. Then I would gather a few dignified appearing kayakers, and have a single spokesperson politely explain the issue at that meeting, and humbly request the Council to look into the matter. Do not appear to be a mob, as a show of numbers will only be seen as threatening and counterproductive. Have your ducks in a row, with your spokesperson having an outline of points to discuss, and keep your presentation as brief and to the point as possible. Demonstrate that you are seeking their guidance in resolving the issue, which will cause them to be more likely to sympathize with your cause. If for some reason they are unable to help, ask them to please point you in the right direction.

Above all, be certain to demonstrate courtesy and respect.
Choose a good spokesperson to address the issue. Do not claim to represent the views of anyone other than yourselves, nor make any demands or threats, and dress neatly and in a conservative fashion. You might want to take some photos of the area in question if that might help demonstrate the issue. You might also vow to create no disturbance or litter when using the area, and promise to clean up not only after yourselves, but to remove any litter left by others whenever you use the area. Try to show sympathy for the viewpoint of the homeowners in the area.

If the location is within the County, and not in the City of Galveston, do the same with the County Commissioners Court.

You might be pleasantly surprised at the outcome. You have nothing to lose.
Randy,
K5RCD
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks for that sage advice, Randy. I'm adding it to the action list of possibilities.

It's clear to me that our objective should be a meeting with the City, since the lawsuit route has obvious problems.

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Not only is it still blocked, but the city has now added a sign. I’m not gonna lie, this bullshit has me heated
55E4D602-74EA-47DC-AE3F-2F2A4DBBF5EA.jpeg
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks for the update, Kyle. Are you certain that's an official City of Galveston sign? Any chance one or more adjoining property owners put it up?

chinookhead

Post by chinookhead »

OldTownYakBoi wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:15 pm Not only is it still blocked, but the city has now added a sign. I’m not gonna lie, this bullshit has me heated

55E4D602-74EA-47DC-AE3F-2F2A4DBBF5EA.jpeg
Thanks for the update.....are there any signs saying that you can't still launch at the end of Sportsman Road? I know that you can't park right there for long.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

No sign at the end of Sportsman. I hope us fellow kayakers can at least hold onto this launch, it’s a special area with easy access to good fishing year round. I’m trying to do more on my part to clean up after others and take care of what we have left.

Surprisingly, the home owner on the end closest to this launch is pleasant and doesn’t seem to be bothered by all the kayakers. We’ve got to do better as a community of policing and informing other fisherman about not leaving a trace. Sportsman road is simply special
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I've met many riverbank landowners when i needed their bank to keep going just a little farther in the river - a trash bag in my hand picking up litter.
They all told me to feel free to use their riverbank whenever I needed.
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

I've picked up trash every time I've launched there. There is a garbage can right there yet the slobs throw their trash on the ground. Soon their won't be any launches left. After many attempts to talk to anyone in Galveston about this issue got no response even from the mayors office. :horse: :evil: :evil:
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

I'll be down there before Christmas and would be more than willing to meet up with every kayak fisherman that would like to organize a protest by lining up the street with trucks and kayak fisherman
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

All you ever wanted to know on this topic - and what YOU can do to stop the closure - can be found at this post:

viewtopic.php?p=2335187#p2335187
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Shoffer is one of our best trial lawyers but I disagree with his optimistic legal opinion. And I actually crushed the City of Galveston in a lawsuit I filed against them in the 1990s representing Mr. Galveston himself, George Mitchell.

After all the crap we kayakers have been through and what I've found out w/ the help of Yak Boi, Creekside, & other helpful TKF members, my legal opinion is that "the fix is in" and Galveston will do whatever the Hell it wants.

They have lied to us and worked privately with the lying adjacent property owners. Their claims of stealing, vandalism, loud "nighttime parties & loud powerboat launches are ridiculous. But I still predict the next two "public hearings" on this project will be biased and unfair.

Shoffer was trying to be helpful but I won't attend either hearing out of futility. If any kayakers do go, I wish you luck! Maybe Shoffer will find time to counsel any kayakers who proceed against the city.

I'm so down on Galveston I may adopt Saltykat's attitude and try to kayak fish elsewhere.