Sportsman road update (not good)

saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Sportsman road update (not good)

Post by saltykat »

I finally ran into someone that knew something about the ramp closure. The homeowner told me that its not the kayaker's that is the problem it's people trespassing on their property on their docks etc. So a few bad folks ruin it for all of us. Galveston is appraising the ramp property to come up with land value and the homeowners on either side of the ramp are going to buy the property and split the cost making it private property. I understand their situation as much as it sucks. Another launch we lost at the end of 8 mile road might be worse because sweetwater development bought the property and fenced off a road that was paid for by taxpayers. Galveston only takes care of the people with the deepest pockets it just doesn't seem right. Galveston's next city council meeting is January 26 I will go if we can get as many kayaker's as possible to show up and voice our concerns about losing launches. I doubt it will do any good but it can't hurt :horse:
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Sportsman road update (not good)

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks for the sad update, Don. I suspected something like this when the City refused to even acknowledge my multiple demand letters sent last October.

This is fresh news, so no hasty decisions are required now. I've found it helpful to post information here and get member feedback on ideas and strategy.

Your idea to attend a City Council meeting was also proposed a few weeks ago by a helpful TKF member. But word of caution. Attending that meeting might result in total failure with the City rejecting our pleas. After that we're forced to live with that negative public decision.

If we wait and gather ideas, we keep our options open in hopes of formulating a better plan of action. For example, what about talking to the two adjacent landowners and keeping the City out of it? And another approach is continuing to launch there in small groups by carrying our kayaks over those obstacles and parking along Sportsman Rd. Each approach has its own risks. Any more ideas?

Shoffer and I are busy as bees right now working on cases of our own. Please don't count on us suing the City over this matter anytime soon.

Any ideas or questions?
--Don Pickels, Esq.Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

EMTuss

Post by EMTuss »

My first post here, but I do have some information. I was coming out of the water on the ramp in my kayak when the city Marshall was there taking measurements and surveying the ramp for the current rocks blocking it. We had a half an hour discussion on the what and why. He stated the intent is to have it inaccessible to boats but leave it for kayaks. He stated the issue was charter companies using the ramp for commercial services and not simply private usage.
Never did he mention anything about the homeowners or trespassing. The issue was liability for the city when being used for commercial outings. The situation may have evolved.
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

EMTuss wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:51 am My first post here, but I do have some information. I was coming out of the water on the ramp in my kayak when the city Marshall was there taking measurements and surveying the ramp for the current rocks blocking it. We had a half an hour discussion on the what and why. He stated the intent is to have it inaccessible to boats but leave it for kayaks. He stated the issue was charter companies using the ramp for commercial services and not simply private usage.
Never did he mention anything about the homeowners or trespassing. The issue was liability for the city when being used for commercial outings. The situation may have evolved.
Wow, that's interesting and promising.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

EMTuss wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:51 am My first post here, but I do have some information. I was coming out of the water on the ramp in my kayak when the city Marshall was there taking measurements and surveying the ramp for the current rocks blocking it. We had a half an hour discussion on the what and why. He stated the intent is to have it inaccessible to boats but leave it for kayaks. He stated the issue was charter companies using the ramp for commercial services and not simply private usage.
I hope this is what is actually happening. Galveston County, among all the others, really need to take a look at what Aransas County has done with the Aransas Pathways project. Aransas County has really embraced all aspects of nature tourism for birding, kayaking, jogging/biking paths, etc; it's really great to see.

About 10 years ago Calhoun County completed a Shoreline Access Inventory survey. I know a couple of paddling trails were added and an improved park at Boggy Bayou; but not sure what else has been accomplished.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Wow, Mr. Tuss, your first TKF post was a winner!

Thanks for sharing that useful and heartening information about the closed launch ramp on Sportsman Rd.
Your info corroborates our argument that we kayakers are not the problem. Apparently it's the commercial boaters using that ramp.

Maybe now our strategy should be to wait for the City of Galveston to do the right thing and reopen the ramp to kayaks only.

But I think keeping pressure on them will make it happen even faster.

Thanks for sharing, Tues, and welcome to TKF.

EMTuss

Post by EMTuss »

Thanks for the welcoming.

The times I've been back and seen how it's blocked doesn't match with the conversation I had but I'm hoping it gets changed.

During the conversation I was asked where do kayakers access with this launch as opposed to the end of the road, if the ease of access was better, and how wide would the entrance need to be for kayaks like mine to be able to get through. The City Marshall even measured my kayak width to see if 48" would be sufficient. His attitude towards kayakers was very positive mentioning how we arent the ones leaving trash or dumping anything.

I know there was other small talk and a few questions but nothing that is standing out in my memory. My only concern is what was the plan then to now has changed.
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

Did you happen to get the marshall's name. That is a different story than what the homeowner told me, someone is wrong. If you read my post the homeowners on either side of the ramp are trying to buy the property and make it private. Did the marshall say its alright to use the ramp?
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

You know I'm on your side, Saltykat, but if the Galveston Marshal was for real, who you gonna trust? The Marshal or the angry homeowner who might lie to keep all launchers off that private property?

And this to our new member, Mr. Tuss: Was the Marshal in uniform and did he wear a badge? Did you see his official vehicle? Did he sound and act official? What if he was one of the homeowners in disguise, oh my!

We obviously need to try confirming what Mr. Tuss stated. If it's true, then we can plan on taking our case to the City if they actually support us kayakers. If not true, we're back to square one. Either way, I'm gonna crow a bit because perhaps my October demand letters to the City softened them up.

EMTuss

Post by EMTuss »

The Marshall pulled up in his marked SUV as I was coming out of the water. He was in uniform, badge, gun, and all. He had silver/white hair on his head with a mustache and goatie. He wore glasses as well. When we shook hands he introduced himself and his name was on his uniform but I don't recall it.

He did say it was fine to continue to use the ramp, which I did several times after. My encounter with the Marshall was approximately 6 weeks before they put the barricades up. Since the barricades have gone up I haven't used it. While wading in Galveston yesterday I did stop to look at it again. There are no trespassing or keep out signs or any other notices posted. I don't know if that's relevant or not.
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

Thanks Emt I thought this was a recent encounter
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Yes, thanks, Tuss, for sharing your experience and at least giving us kayakers a ray of hope in this mess.

Let's continue to pressure the City in our own ways and share any insights achieved. There's always the option of attending a future City Council meeting to make our case, this time maybe with the support of that Mr. Mystery Marshal.

DHardy

Post by DHardy »

I sure hope that launch works out for the Galveston crowd.

We have had had quite a few private road/launch spots closed over the years here in North Padre/Port Aransas due to private development company purchases (liability) and trash/dumping. It is frustrating. I saw a lady chunk a fully loaded diaper out of her Corolla onto the beach near what was Bob Hall Pier recently. It’s an epidemic of assholes.

Best,
creekstone

Post by creekstone »

EMTuss wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:56 am While wading in Galveston yesterday I did stop to look at it again. There are no trespassing or keep out signs or any other notices posted. I don't know if that's relevant or not.
Back in November the launch had this sign: "Boat Ramp Access Closed".
Has that sign been removed?
Attachments
Boat Ramp - 11.22.jpeg
Boat Ramp - 11.22.jpeg (86.78 KiB) Viewed 4455 times
creekstone

Post by creekstone »

saltykat wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:02 pm I finally ran into someone that knew something about the ramp closure. The homeowner told me... Galveston is appraising the ramp property to come up with land value and the homeowners on either side of the ramp are going to buy the property and split the cost making it private property.
For several reasons, that doesn't make sense to me.

The city would be limiting the ability to purchase the property to just two entities. Is that even legal?

That is a full size lot suitable to building a house that would provide a larger tax stream to the city versus just larger lot sizes for the two homeowners.

FYI, based on researching the owners of the adjacent properties, I believe at least one has very deep pockets.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I agree with your post, Creekstone. The homeowner's story stinks because the City of Galveston would not engage in that kind of cozy private behavior with the adjacent property owners. As you said, the city would put the lot up for sale to the public and ask the market price (or more) for that desirable bayfront tract.

Sounds like the honeowner's story was calculated to scare off kayak launchers because they'd rather have the launch ramp unused.

And remember Tuss's posts recalling the Galveston uniformed Marshal who disclosed the City was planning to rebuild that launch ramp for kayakers and discourage commercial launches.

That Marshal's story seems more credible to me than the homeowner's.

Now we need Yak Boi or Saltykat to photograph the launch ramp signs to update our information.

saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

I believe the ramp closed no access sign is still there and so is the concrete blockade. It doesn't make sense that the homeowners on either side could buy it without it going on the open market but that's what the homeowner told me. Galveston does what they want to do though, the sweetwater development bought and fenced off 8 mile road where there used to be a launch/access to the bay and taxpayers paid for that road. Tell me how that's legal. I don't think the ramp property is wide enough for a house to be built there unless the buyer got creative
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Here's a quick update I just received from James, a Galveston oysterman familiar with the Sportsman Rd. Ramp closing. Said he's been using that ramp for 50 years.

James heard the same positive story we did about the Galveston City Marshall measuring the ramp property in preparation for City improvements to make it safer and more kayak-friendly.

But something changed and now the City has apparently changed its tune.

James knows many City employees and got a meeting with an assistant D.A. last week who told him the City took legal possession of the lot from the Galveston Parks Board a few months ago.

After that the City has taken a more hostile approach, possibly leading to their selling that lot to some private owner. James has talked to one of the adjacent owners who's been complaining about kayakers stealing his gasoline and trashing his property. James considers that owner a self-serving liar who has probably already bid on the property.

That's the latest. I'm too tired tonight to give fresh legal advice. But the floor is open to any ideas or proposals. Bring 'em on.

dnordin

Post by dnordin »

If there are wetlands to be protected maybe Artist Boat may want to purchase it. But from what I can tell they have not been real good about letting the General Public kayak from the launch on Settegast road, where their property is, however I have not checked in a while.
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

dnordin wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:11 pm If there are wetlands to be protected maybe Artist Boat may want to purchase it. But from what I can tell they have not been real good about letting the General Public kayak from the launch on Settegast road, where their property is, however I have not checked in a while.
There's no parking signs everywhere on that road. Ridiculous.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Don's description sounds pretty terminal.
With that property removed from City Parks and for sale by the city comptroller's office, out-of-town complainers don't carry much weight against a school-tax-paying resident who's looking to increase his tax base.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

It's sad but I must agree with my good friend Ron. The City of Galveston is poorly run and probably corrupt, too, like our federal government. We have ample evidence of that.

At one time I envisioned filing a lawsuit against Galveston over this outrageous ramp closing. I've beaten them before, about 20 years ago. But as I've said, this lawsuit would cost big money and take a couple of years with the likelihood of losing it.

I'm in my prime of life, don't need extra legal fees, and frankly have better things to do, like fishing.

But if some young hotshot lawyer like Shoffer or Watson wants to carry the load, I'll be around to help.

Failing that, I don't see a practical solution to this nightmare.

mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

11704 Sportsmens Road is currently listed for $500,000. Rather than spending it on legal fees, we should form an LLC and buy a lot and put a ramp on it.
loonycamp

Post by loonycamp »

I am not wealthy but I would donate and contribute and get the word out to donate.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I think Watson's proposal is the best I've heard so far.

Only problem is finding some kayaker willing to buy that property. Maybe Shoffer will help if he wins his huge pending lawsuit.