Hurricane Beryl

Neumie
Site Admin

Hurricane Beryl

Post by Neumie »

Keep an eye out for this as the track keeps moving farther north along the Texas coast. The more time it spends in the Gulf the stronger it'll build.
motoyak

Re: Hurricane Beryl

Post by motoyak »

crazy storm, I was hoping for the hill country to get some, Medina needs to fill up
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

it is beyond a pipe dream to expect hurricane rain to affect water levels in the hill country.
The problem is population growth, which doubled over the watershed in 20 years, and doubled groundwater demand - the only solution is desalination for public water supply - 20 years ago.
The biggest problem with rain, it makes people ignore this fact.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

Ron Mc wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 6:13 am it is beyond a pipe dream to expect hurricane rain to affect water levels in the hill country.
The problem is population growth, which doubled over the watershed in 20 years, and doubled groundwater demand - the only solution is desalination for public water supply - 20 years ago.
The biggest problem with rain, it makes people ignore this fact.
Given the fact that this area is in an exceptional drought doesn't have any bearing on that? What recharges our aquafer, lakes, tanks, wells, etc?....rain!
Here's an interesting fact, all droughts end in a flood and floods generally are caused by rain. The amount of rain needed to generate a flood comes, historically, from a hurricane in our area.
True, population growth driven by development has invited more people to the party and the hill country's resources suffer. Conservation efforts and limited growth is the answer, desalination is costly and not a long term solution.
Its naive to think that solving the water supply issue with a pipeline from the coast will work long term. All that would do is fuel more growth.
The land can only support X amount of people, the time has come to stop development in the recharge zone.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

To stay on topic, looking like a landfall on matagorda island near port O.
Not what Houston needs, ouch!
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

I was able to get a couple pumpkins before Beryl. We are just starting to get back to some normalcy after Alberto… let us see what this brings.
IMG_5130.jpeg
I’ll chime in on the Texas water issue and just say there are way too many people in this state already. The one thing about our current way of distributing wealth is that it’s reactive and the most unfortunate pay the cost of these calamities. Not limited to people, but including the fish, water, birds, trees, and the wild places we enjoy. There is a cost to doing business, some of us have to see it and others just fly away from it.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Kitsune wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:33 pm I was able to get a couple pumpkins before Beryl. We are just starting to get back to some normalcy after Alberto… let us see what this brings.
You should take advantage of this storm tide. The flooding is bad for Houston, but coastal bend will only get a good storm tide.
In a similar '90s storm tide, we caught fly rod jacks and baby tarpon in the bottleneck, the airboat trail between Fence Lake and Allyn's Lake.

Here was our TS Beta trip a few years ago -
viewtopic.php?t=252700

Storm tides bring both bait and gamefish way inland. You can really take advantage of draining storm tides in passes that will concentrate the bait.
e.g., all the passes into Lighthouse Lakes...

Capture.JPG
Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Had a trip planned to Port Mansfield this week, but I still may make it, esp. if we lose power for any length of time in Houston, and assuming the roads are passable.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Ron Mc wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:21 am
Kitsune wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:33 pm I was able to get a couple pumpkins before Beryl. We are just starting to get back to some normalcy after Alberto… let us see what this brings.
You should take advantage of this storm tide. The flooding is bad for Houston, but coastal bend will only get a good storm tide.
In a similar '90s storm tide, we caught fly rod jacks and baby tarpon in the bottleneck, the airboat trail between Fence Lake and Allyn's Lake.

Here was our TS Beta trip a few years ago -
viewtopic.php?t=252700

Storm tides bring both bait and gamefish way inland. You can really take advantage of draining storm tides in passes that will concentrate the bait.
e.g., all the passes into Lighthouse Lakes...

Capture.JPG
Alberto really messed up LHL with dirty water and tons of floating weed/grass making lures un-fishable/ not fun. You are correct that this “miss” for the CB is going to be good. I ran into some fat orange reds in the back lakes pre-Beryl. Now I just need to get a day off…
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Alberto was different because the TS made landfall in Mexico, and Corpus received rain bands.
You're not getting any rain bands now, only storm tide.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

shoffer wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:33 am Had a trip planned to Port Mansfield this week, but I still may make it, esp. if we lose power for any length of time in Houston, and assuming the roads are passable.
I’ve been without power for over 12 hours now. They’re saying 3 days to 2 weeks… I’m thinking of heading south to Corpus or Rockport to escape this mess. Although I think fishing in the marsh will be good on the backside of this. Even with power out today it’s not too bad, it’s overcast with a good breeze… However, that’s going to change soon and I don’t want to be around for no power in mid July with 0 wind..