A good day on the Fly

GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

A good day on the Fly

Post by GoDoe »

I am in Aransas Pass for a couple of weeks to fly fish. That is if my body can hold up. I started coming down here and staying two or three weeks at a time about 15 years ago. I was 47 then. It hurts more now to fish all day.

Anyway, I did find some fish today that were willing to eat the fly. I got 7 black drum and 2 reds. Most were undersized. That sounds pretty good but I started fishing at about 10:15 and quit fishing about 3:30

The tides are really high and that has the water kind of dirty in the back water marshes. I have a solo skiff and I had to run about 5 miles from my launch to find some water skinny enough for my liking.

There weren't a ton of fish but the black drum were fairly aggressive and were willing to take my all black maribou fly. I call it the Leech. It's just a wad of maribou tied on #4 hook with mini dumbbell eyes. You have to put it right under those drum's noses to get them to take it.

Hoping the sun keeps shinning,

John
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: A good day on the Fly

Post by Ron Mc »

That's a tough day. Glad you caught fish.

MWL right now are affected by flood run-off in the Guadalupe into San Antonio Bay - this is a good thing for the Aransas Bay system, maybe tough on fly fishermen.
Don't know if you're getting the morning cool we have in the hill country - has to be the coolest June I can remember.
flydoc

Re: A good day on the Fly

Post by flydoc »

Congrats on a good day in the cow pasture. You always did like black. Stay on em..