*****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, AUG 16th, WEDNESDAY, 2023 (((((NEW UPDATES)))))*****

GregO722

Re: *****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, JULY 15th, SATURDAY, 2023*****

Post by GregO722 »

I'm in. I'll be using my Hobie Island this year. So, all of you Hobie Island sailors, I know you are out there, join in on the fun. If this actually happens on July 15th, I'll have my 6 year old with me. He's a veteran salt water fisherman (for his age).
Last edited by GregO722 on Tue May 30, 2023 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xmatador2000

Post by xmatador2000 »

Please add me! My name is Marco Lai. I have fished BTB near shore for bull reds and sharks over the years, but I haven't tried kingfish at the rigs. I got a pedal kayak last year so I feel that I'm better prepared now. I have a few questions I hope someone can answer:

1. What lures should I buy? I have pre-made kingfish leaders that I use for small sharks. Are those ok to use with lures?

2. I have caught ribbonfish at the jetties, but I have never fish with them. Are they a must for this trip? Can I buy pre-made ribbonfish rigs? How do I rig the ribbonfish on the rigs?

3. Should I get tackle for other species?

4. Is a fish bag necessary?

I don't live near the coast so my BTB trips are very limited. I don't want to break the bank for gear I would use on rare occasions :)

Thanks in advance,
Marco
daWawee

Post by daWawee »

saving the date.. count me in
Daniel Aguilar
xmatador2000

Post by xmatador2000 »

The coupon code for the fish bag doesn't work. Did anyone have any luck with it or has another code?
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Poncoloco wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:21 pm Count me in!! Poncoloco
Poncoloco, I've got ya added. Welcome!

FishinOnCredit wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:21 pm I've done BTB but never for kings...count me in! FishinOnCredit
Considered yourself counted in. Glad to have ya.

Kalait wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:21 pm I want to go however, I have several medical procedures which require some time down this summer. All able to go out have fun, keep some tight lines and be safe.
Sorry to hear that you can't join is this summer. I hope your procedure(s) go well and you heal quickly. Hit me up JC once you are back up and running and let's fish.

GregO722 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:21 pm I'm in. I'll be using my Hobie Island this year. So, all of you Hobie Island sailors, I know you are out there, join in on the fun. If this actually happens on July 15th, I'll have my 6 year old with me. He's a veteran salt water fisherman (for his age).
I will see you and your son out there. Glad to have you guys out there. I got rid of my island awhile back but looking to find another one. I had a Tandem Island but got rid of it so I could get a Adventure Island. I'm sure I will have one by next summer.

xmatador2000 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:21 pm Please add me! My name is Marco Lai. I have fished BTB near shore for bull reds and sharks over the years, but I haven't tried kingfish at the rigs. I got a pedal kayak last year so I feel that I'm better prepared now. I have a few questions I hope someone can answer:

1. What lures should I buy? I have pre-made kingfish leaders that I use for small sharks. Are those ok to use with lures?

Kingfish leaders are exactly what we use out on the water most of the time. If you don't have these then you can either buy or make them. If you decide to make them, read my initial thread as it has a link to a YouTube video on how to make them. The problem if you buy them is sometimes store bought king leaders are too long and the ribbon fish is too small. This creates a dilemma. There is a work around for this but I just assume to make them and that solves the problem.

2. I have caught ribbonfish at the jetties, but I have never fish with them. Are they a must for this trip? Can I buy pre-made ribbonfish rigs? How do I rig the ribbonfish on the rigs?

The fish really love them. The only thing better than a ribbon is a live blue runner. Other live bait fish can work as well. Lures can work but those are usually my backup. One more thing, you can buy pre-made ribbonfish rigs. I will be giving a quick tutorial on how to bait your ribbon leaders with the ribbon fish at the outing before we hit the water.

3. Should I get tackle for other species?

If all you had was ribbon fish leaders for this trip, you would be perfectly fine. Most of the time you will be trolling. I would say 10 king leaders should hold you for this trip. You can buy other stuff but I would say no need to spend the extra money. If you do want to buy additional tackle, give me a call. I would be happy to run through all this with you. 832-588-7091 I will be out of pocket June 10 - 18.

4. Is a fish bag necessary?

If you don't want to drop the piggy bank on a fish bag quite yet, I would recommend asking the person you will be paired up with that is experienced to see if you can put your kings in his bag. However, three big kings can fill the bag up. A fourth king is maxing out the bag.
You may have to settle with bringing back one king if the guy you are paired up with limits out. The other option would be to ask someone on the water that doesn't have a limit to see if they can hold additional kings for you until you get back to land. Be sure to not leave that person hanging when he gets back to land. You don't want to have that guy on a limit of kings plus one (your king) and when he gets back to land get a ticket for having too many kings. If you are with that person coming back in, you'll be fine. Also, only do this if you are headed back to shore. You could stick a smaller king down the front hatch. You don't want to leave that fish down there too long because the meat will spoil.

I don't live near the coast so my BTB trips are very limited. I don't want to break the bank for gear I would use on rare occasions :)

I totally understand. Feel free to call and we can discuss options to keep the budget down.

Thanks in advance,
Marco
daWawee wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:21 pm saving the date.. count me in
Daniel Aguilar
I have added you, welcome to the addiction!

xmatador2000 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:21 pm The coupon code for the fish bag doesn't work. Did anyone have any luck with it or has another code?
I spoke to the owner of the place that sells these bags around the beginning of April and I forgot to change the code. It's has been changed now. If that code doesn't work, please call. I will be unavailable between the dates June 10 - 18. You can call me today or anytime after that if needed.
xmatador2000

Post by xmatador2000 »

Yakety_Yak, I will make my own ribbonfish rigs after all. I also ordered the fish bag from Delaware Paddlesports. The coupon code was good for $10 off which helped offset some of the shipping cost. Thank you for reaching out to the store owner for the new code and for answering my questions. I can't wait for this trip!
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

Yakety_Yak wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:19 am If all you had was ribbon fish leaders for this trip, you would be perfectly fine. Most of the time you will be trolling. I would say 10 king leaders should hold you for this trip.
10? Is that a typo? I made 2 and thought I would be good. Are they disposable? One fish per leader and you throw them away?

Dave
daWawee

Post by daWawee »

My buddy Justin Burr will be joining us as well
Headhunter1

Post by Headhunter1 »

Add me to the list please.
Jlm1975

Post by Jlm1975 »

I’d like to go as well but might need someone to help me get my kayak down there if anyone has room in their truck or trailer let me know I’m in the Woodlands, . I sold my truck and have an SUV I’ll probably still drive down there to have a place to sleep.
Justin McCarroll 936-648-4694 text

OldTown PDL 120
Freeliner

Post by Freeliner »

Add me to the list plus one: Judy (Mrs Freeliner)
KapaldoaFishing

Post by KapaldoaFishing »

Hello I am wanting to join y’all on this trip but I have a few questions. My biggest one is if anyone uses/recommends using a trolling motor. I have a hobie PA14 with an XI3.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

KapaldoaFishing wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:58 pm Hello I am wanting to join y’all on this trip but I have a few questions. My biggest one is if anyone uses/recommends using a trolling motor. I have a hobie PA14 with an XI3.
Welcome to TKF!

I don’t see why a trolling motor would be an issue once you get passed the surf.

The biggest thing I would point out is make sure your front hatch and rod tubes are sealed really well and test them. When I had my PA14 I would throw mostly full 5 gallon buckets of water at the front of the kayak and make sure I didn’t see a drop of water in the hull. Rod tubes are also well known for leaking.
EarlM

Post by EarlM »

I would like to join. Thanks.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

SWFinatic wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:49 pm Dave no sir bait shops won’t pre-sell any bait. You have to be there to buy. I would check into bait shops in your area and try and buy some before the trip. Yes you can freeze them and they will still work fine as long as they are thawed by the time you need to fish with them. They are sold by the dozen. Not sure what they are running price wise this year but a dozen should be enough especially if you plan on pulling a lure too.

As far as the channel used Blake will probably cover this before the trip.
I went to Hooker's Bait a couple weekends ago. They don't sell Ribbon fish. The directed me to Bridge Bait.
I went to Bridge Bait in Surfside today. $24 for a bag of fresh ones. They couldn't guarantee that they would have them two weekends from now. Looks like they were ~ 20" long.
RF.jpg
If the wind will stop, I'll be down there next weekend and pick some up on my way back.

Dave
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Dang that’s crazy expensive compared to last time I bought them lol. But for once in a while fishing it’s really pennies.

Hope you get to go next weekend. Wind forecasts are tough to predict but right now I’m seeing high winds and 3’ seas pretty much through the end of the month.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

SWFinatic wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:30 pm Dang that’s crazy expensive compared to last time I bought them lol. But for once in a while fishing it’s really pennies.

Hope you get to go next weekend. Wind forecasts are tough to predict but right now I’m seeing high winds and 3’ seas pretty much through the end of the month.
Jerry, that is not all that bad of a price. Keep in mind that you are getting that price but for 5 lbs (not a dozen). Not bad at all. That is where I usually buy my ribbons at. :)
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

xmatador2000 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:11 pm Yakety_Yak, I will make my own ribbonfish rigs after all. I also ordered the fish bag from Delaware Paddlesports. The coupon code was good for $10 off which helped offset some of the shipping cost. Thank you for reaching out to the store owner for the new code and for answering my questions. I can't wait for this trip!
Outstanding, glad it's been taken care of. See ya on the water. :)
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

deptrai wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:33 pm
Yakety_Yak wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:19 am If all you had was ribbon fish leaders for this trip, you would be perfectly fine. Most of the time you will be trolling. I would say 10 king leaders should hold you for this trip.
10? Is that a typo? I made 2 and thought I would be good. Are they disposable? One fish per leader and you throw them away?

Dave
Sometimes you can get two times out of a leader, but yes. One time and done. You can make 10 leaders for around $50 (give or take).
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

daWawee wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:51 pm My buddy Justin Burr will be joining us as well
I got him added.

Headhunter1 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:51 pm Add me to the list please.
Done.

Jlm1975 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:51 pm I’d like to go as well but might need someone to help me get my kayak down there if anyone has room in their truck or trailer let me know I’m in the Woodlands, . I sold my truck and have an SUV I’ll probably still drive down there to have a place to sleep.
Justin McCarroll 936-648-4694 text

OldTown PDL 120
Great talking with you last night.

Freeliner wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:51 pmAdd me to the list plus one: Judy (Mrs Freeliner)
You and the wife, gotcha. Added. :)

KapaldoaFishing wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:51 pm Hello I am wanting to join y’all on this trip but I have a few questions. My biggest one is if anyone uses/recommends using a trolling motor. I have a hobie PA14 with an XI3.
As SWFinatic mentioned, shouldn't be a problem. The only issue I see is going through the surf. I pick low surf days but in the event you somehow turtle, you need to make sure that the trolling motor can take on saltwater and still survive afterwards.

EarlM wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:51 pm I would like to join. Thanks.
Done deal. :)
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Yakety_Yak wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:57 am
SWFinatic wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:30 pm Dang that’s crazy expensive compared to last time I bought them lol. But for once in a while fishing it’s really pennies.

Jerry, that is not all that bad of a price. Keep in mind that you are getting that price but for 5 lbs (not a dozen). Not bad at all. That is where I usually buy my ribbons at. :)
That makes sense was thinking that was for a dozen
TarponTime

Post by TarponTime »

Yakety_Yak wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:03 am

Dave
Sometimes you can get two times out of a leader, but yes. One time and done. You can make 10 leaders for around $50 (give or take).
Just troll a big diver. Kings hit alot more than ribbons. The lure will withstand many strikes. Dont understand the ribbonfish fuss.
xmatador2000

Post by xmatador2000 »

Things came up and I’m a maybe now which really sucks a**. Any chance there will be a second trip this summer?
Getz-Some55

Post by Getz-Some55 »

xmatador2000 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:27 pm Things came up and I’m a maybe now which really sucks a**. Any chance there will be a second trip this summer?
Sorry to hear you won't make it Marco. I'd keep in touch with Blake since he'll probably go on another BTB BHP trip this summer.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

TarponTime wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:23 pm
Yakety_Yak wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:03 am

Dave
Just troll a big diver. Kings hit alot more than ribbons. The lure will withstand many strikes. Dont understand the ribbonfish fuss.
TarponTime, I hear ya on that. I carry divers as a backup for once I run out of ribbons. The reason for this is the cost of these divers can be expensive. Those can be anywhere between $10 to $20 a pop (unless you find it for less in a bargain bend on clearance or a discontinued model). If a shark hits it, and that is a good possibility, then it's bye bye lure. For that kind of money, I can fish with quite a few ribbon leaders.

Don't get me wrong though, I do love Yo-Zuri deep divers. The redhead pattern is awesome and is my favorite!