Memorial Sunday PINS Trip

John Hall

Memorial Sunday PINS Trip

Post by John Hall »

Made a run to the “helicopter pad” off PINS near mile marker…..yeah, not sure…..near the mouth of Baffin across the dunes.

Surf was a piece of cake going out. 2-3’ rollers timed decently far apart. Coming back in….not so much….more on that later….

Got to the helipad and immediately got on lane snappers. My son (14) ran a sabiki rig to get blue runners for kings. He got one after several lane snappers and one good red snapper and rigged it up for a king. Not 10-15 seconds later this silver rocket hits it and it was on.

As the rollers were starting to build and greater frequency we headed back in. Before the 3rd breaker we determined we should dump out and swim it in due to pretty good close together breaking waves. Made it past the 3rd and the second and a gear failure put me in a bad way. Somehow my vest came unzipped and was up around my head. Thinking I could let the yak go, zip up and grab it again was an error on my part. It got away from me and rolled on the 1st breaker. All gear lashed in but, somehow the reel broke at the seat and the reel was lost. All other gear recovered or lashed in.

Even with the lost reel, good day.
Attachments
IMG_3381.jpeg
IMG_3390.jpeg
IMG_3388.jpeg
IMG_3391.jpeg
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: Memorial Sunday PINS Trip

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Too bad about the reel but that's still a great story and sounds like a great trip! I've never heard of or thought about swimming the kayak in thru the breakers. Makes sense tho...barring equipment failures of course.
John Hall

Re: Memorial Sunday PINS Trip

Post by John Hall »

The idea/concept is using your body as a drouge (drag) to keep the yak perpendicular to the waves and it worked great, 1st time actually doing it. Until I had to let go of it.......with my vest coming off I opted to "save myself" over the gear. Had we tried to paddle/peddle it in we would have almost certainly been dumped as the waves were pretty big and breaking and too close in frequency to re-adjust if we got sideways. IN retrospect I should have put the rods down in the sealed hatches.....next time...next time...