Fall Sight Casting Slot Redfish (Vudu Shad Magic)

OldTownYakBoi

Fall Sight Casting Slot Redfish (Vudu Shad Magic)

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Last week we had a strong front roll through the Texas Coast. NW winds reached 40mph and proceeded to dump an insane amount of water from our bay systems. I’ve lived in Galveston 8 years and these are some of the lowest tides I’ve ever seen.

Saturday 10/30 - I waited for the winds to die down some and was finally able to get out on Saturday afternoon. I launched at 4PM and to my delight never saw a single boat or kayak. The water level was crazy low, probably 2 feet lower than normal. Winds were light, almost non existent. I had to drag my kayak across 20 yards of mud to launch in the marsh and quickly saw what looked like boiling water. It was thousands of baitfish and plenty of redfish. I think these fish had already gorged as I was never able to entice a bite.

In the distance I saw birds diving so I headed that direction. Upon arriving I noticed that all the water in this area was blown out, but a southeast wind was bringing some water back into the marsh. Image

I spotted some head wakes and approached extremely quiet. I let the current push me all the way up to the grass line and was in mere inches of water. It was so shallow that there was a wall of mud at the entrance of the marsh. The reds were using this structure along with the incoming tide to trap and attack bait. I stood and waited for signs. I saw a head wake chasing bait and put it right in front of the fish. As I retrieved the lure from the murky mud I saw a head wake heading straight at me, about 15 feet from the yak the water cleared up and I was met with a mid slot redfish, mouth wide open, he slammed it. Image

I quickly got him in the boat and waited for similar head wakes. I look left then right and spotted another wake, casting right in front of it I was hooked up again! Another nice slot redfish in the boat. I continued to fish this pattern but I think the commotion of catching the second fish spooked the rest of the group.

I decided to keep moving and look for similar structure. I headed down the grass-line a little ways and found an area that was similar to the last. Again, the reds were at the entrance of the marsh and using the wall of mud and incoming tide to attack bait. Another head wake and another slot redfish in the boat. A limit in an hour, man I love fall.

Sunday 10/31

After the success I had on Saturday I couldn’t wait to get out and try my luck again. I decided to fish the same area bc I thought I knew where the fish would be… WRONG! Overnight there were strong southeast winds that brought a ton of water back into the marshes, I’m talking at least 1.5-2 ft of water. I peddled around and struggled to find any sign of life, there was also kayaks everywhere and it didn’t seem like anyone was catching fish. With the water being high and the marsh drains empty I decided to venture back deep into the marsh. I push poled my self all the way to the back of the marsh until I couldn’t go any further. Image
On the way back I saw a plethora of bait including crabs, mullet in the thousands, and Shad. I occasionally would see a single redfish but had difficulty getting in position to cast to them and they would disappear before I could cast to them. After a long journey to the back I was met with crystal clear water.
As quietly as I could I stood on the yak, and using the paddle pushed myself along. Soon enough I spotted a nice slot redfish hunting along the bank. I gently laid the paddle down and sent a cast his way. This red was pushed right up against the bank and my cast sailed right over him and just barely in the grass, I gently pulled my lure out and it dropped right behind him… He immediately spun around and pounced! He pulled me all over the back marsh until I managed to net him.
I can honestly say this experience was a first for me, never have I seen redfish in such clear water and sight casted to them, a true delight. I released him and continued to hunt. This time I put the paddle down and just drifted waiting to spot a fish. Before I knew it there was a red no more than 10 feet from me, so close I felt like I could’ve poked him with my pole. I back hand pitched my Vudu Shad in front of him and he slammed it! Both fish were healthy and around 23-24 in. Heading out of the marsh I occasionally would see a single redfish but never got another good shot at one. I made my way back to the launch grinning ear to ear, it was a hell of a day.
Each day the conditions were different, Saturday the fish were grouped tight and easy to catch as they worked together to hunt bait. Sunday was extremely tough, the extra water that pushed in gave the bait tons of places to hide and they certainly did. The drains and grass shorelines were desolate unlike the day before. Both days all the fish were caught on a root beer w/ Chartreuse Tail Vudu Shad.

Fishing is a puzzle with conditions always changing. Saturday I caught fish easily and more of them, but the experience I had on Sunday felt more triumphant. It’s not always about how many fish you catch, but rather the experience and challenges we face to catch them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Fall Sight Casting Slot Redfish (Vudu Shad Magic)

Post by shoffer »

A fantastic report by YakBoi! The Bite Me Podcast guys said Friday would be dead after the dump as all fish were full, but they'd be eating by Saturday, and your report proves it. I fished Sunday on my skiff (see Dandydon's report) and we saw nary a redfish either, but the trout were there in full force and ready to play.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks to Kyle for the illuminating back-to-back days of fishing reports. We can learn from how changing conditions affect our fishing on consecutive days. Sounds like you encountered totally different days of angling.

Your photos are terrific and it's obviously the best time of year to target multiple species. If you'll keep posting good Redfish reports, the Hobie Navy will keep TKF informed about Speckled Trout.

'Tis the season to go fishing.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

shoffer wrote:A fantastic report by YakBoi! The Bite Me Podcast guys said Friday would be dead after the dump as all fish were full, but they'd be eating by Saturday, and your report proves it. I fished Sunday on my skiff (see Dandydon's report) and we saw nary a redfish either, but the trout were there in full force and ready to play.
It was definitely lively out there! The water was boiling with fish, tons of life all around and at the mouths of the drain.
That’s interesting you didn’t see any reds, but I love me some fast and furious trout action as well. I’m thinking we will see a similar pattern this weekend to that of last

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Dandydon wrote:Thanks to Kyle for the illuminating back-to-back days of fishing reports. We can learn from how changing conditions affect our fishing on consecutive days. Sounds like you encountered totally different days of angling.

Your photos are terrific and it's obviously the best time of year to target multiple species. If you'll keep posting good Redfish reports, the Hobie Navy will keep TKF informed about Speckled Trout. Image

'Tis the season to go fishing.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks Don. The fishing certainly offered two different experiences and I think I learned some more about the reds behavior by going back to back days. I oddly haven’t caught any flounder lately, just one that was a fluke in September. I’m hoping to land a good one next time I go out.

Sounds like y’all found the specks on the north shoreline, and plenty of them at that.