Lighthouse Lakes, 11-01-21

TexasJim

Lighthouse Lakes, 11-01-21

Post by TexasJim »

After the weekend "flush" I figured it would be a good time to see if Lighthouse Lakes were re-filling with new water and baitfish. Also, the winds were supposed to be light enough for me to continue my kayak fly fishing education. On the way, I bought a pint of shrimp, for a Plan B. When I got to the Marker 60 launch, I discovered that my flies/leaders/tippets bag had apparently fallen out of my truck bed. So, I stashed the fly rod and paddled across the channel, just after sunrise. It was one of the first times I launched there without seeing another single kayak!

I thought the light, outgoing tide might attract some predator fish to the entrance, and there were fish there, but no hits for my topwater lure. I paddled east and saw redfish feeding by a small island. I got a few “bumps”, but no hookups. I changed to a wakebait, and nothing. Went further east, and saw fish activity by a small island, with reeds at the point. When I got anchored, I saw no fish activity. I began casting into the clear, 18” water and hooked up a 22” red. I cast again, and hooked up an 18” trout. Cool. More casts to the same area, and hooked up another 22’ red. It was 8:45 AM, and that was the last of the artificial bite for me. I changed to a live shrimp under a rattling cork, and caught an 18” red. Then it was over.

I paddled to Markers 47, and 10, then went down a very muddy channel to Marker 2. No hits at all in that passage. When I got to Marker 2, the start of a big flats lake, the water was clear again, but about 12” deep. Lots of oysters that I had to navigate around. I got to Marker 1, the entrance across from Harbor Island, and the channel into the Lakes was alive with reds. I caught probably 25 reds there, 12” to 18”. It was fun, but I quit at 2:00 PM, after 5-½ hours since my last keeper fish. But, I didn’t catch a single hardhead and only had a couple of ladyfish hits.

In addition to losing my fly fishing bag, I forgot to take my phone with me, so no pics. Sorry. Very nice day, weather-wise. Great start to November for me. TexasJim
OldTownYakBoi

Re: Lighthouse Lakes, 11-01-21

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Nice report, sounds like a solid day of keeping the line tight. Even the little 18 in reds are fun, they fight hard for their size!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk