Salt Lake - November 3, 2021

Neumie
Site Admin

Salt Lake - November 3, 2021

Post by Neumie »

No, not that Salt Lake.

No, not that one either.

This one is the Salt Lake on Carancahua Bay.

I had been pm'ing a fellow TKF'er about spots up near Port Lavaca and Palacios and this place caught my eye. Back lakes, oyster reefs, shallow water, and deeper water. It offers a lot of different structure. So, to kick off the 10th annual Rockport Redfish Roundup my sister and I decided to do a little exploring and headed north to Port Alto where we launched from the end of FM 159.

We made the long paddle to Salt Lake and began fishing the outer grass line with a few blow ups on topwater, but no connections. We made our way into the first lake to find for the most part it was about 10" of water.

I paddled up of of the sloughs and landed a small red. In one of the lakes I caught a legal flounder, but let get spit the hook since I couldn't keep it. Flounder in a kayak go nuts, I didn't want to mess with it.

Storms were slowing building as the cold front approached so we worked our way back to the launch fishing three small reefs. We got off the water early afternoon and made the drive back south to Rockport to meet up with Whit and William. The front pushed through just before 5 pm. We decided to grab dinner at Moondogs where we experienced a terrific lightning show which knocked out the power as we ended dinner.

The bays were angry.

We finished the night with poker, beer and whiskey. Winner got $25 loser had to buy breakfast the next morning. I won.

Meteorological Observations
Time: 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
Air Temp: 68°F - 76°F
Wind: 8-14 kn E to SSE (gusting to 18 kn)
Barometric Pressure: 1018 mb
Sky: Mostly Sunny
Water Clarity: 0-18 In
Water Temp: 72°F
Structure: Mud, Oysters

Solunar
Sunrise/set: 7:38 am/6:36 pm
Moonrise/set: 6:10 am/6:03 pm
Moon Phase: Waning Crescent (0.8%)

Predicted Tides @ Port Lavaca (MLLW)
Low @ 1:29 am (0.46 ft)
High @ 5:29 am (0.59 ft)
Low @ 1:03 pm (0.09 ft)
High @ 9:26 pm (0.83 ft)

Lures
Spectrum Spook Jr
Pearl Neumie's Shrimp

Fish
Reds: 1 Rat
Flounder: 1 legal

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Salt Lake - November 3, 2021

Post by Ron Mc »

thanks for the exploring - just caught up with this post. Been working on Arroyo logistics for 3 weeks away.

Great photos and great Whit photo, we need to get him posting more often on the forum.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Great fishing report that left me hungry for poker, gambling and restaurant seafood!

Josh, you guys always seem to have fun. Our TKF reports are becoming as much about high-quality living as actual fishing. The old members like me have many educational stories to share. Back in the 70s I learned law from grizzled attorneys who had practiced over 30 years. Same thing applies to fishing. Listen, read and learn. Keep 'em coming.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
spiny norman
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by spiny norman »

Ron, I think that pic was after I won the side bet from Nina. William tried to warn her! :lol: