East Flats - November 6, 2021

Neumie
Site Admin

East Flats - November 6, 2021

Post by Neumie »

We launched again around 8 am from Island Moorings Marina. and from there the group split up. Ron, Lou, and Whit headed for the first lake while my sister, William and I paddled around to the other side of Pelone Island. We all set up for drifts on the back side and little luck with only a few half hearted blow ups. I may have caught on small red, I think. Anyways, my sister and I paddled back up to fish the main drain as the current was really ripping through there.

The trout were stacked in the current. We called William to join us. Between the three of us we easily caught over 100 trout, but only 6 keepers.

We even caught a couple flounder, including a three spot Gulf Flounder.

After the tide started to go slack the bite and we all moved to the first lake to see how everyone was doing. I decided to stand and sight cast to reds. I caught some movement in a small sand hole and hooked into my first sightcasted trout, and 23"-24" one to boot. I fought it close to the kayak and let it swim around, I wasn't going keep so she eventually shook free. But it was a cool experience. I caught a few small reds, but had yet to catch a keeper so far on this trip.

My sister had to be off early to return to San Antonio, so we headed in shortly after joining everyone on the first flat. I ended the day with a limit of trout (plus the big sight casted trout), My sister had a keeper trout, William finished with a keeper trout, Lou had a keeper trout as well, and Whit strung up two reds.

That evening to close out the fishing trip was the traditional shrimp boil on the bluff.

Of course, a fire and libations were enjoyed.

Meteorological Observations
Time: 8:00 am - 2:00 pm
Air Temp: 59°F - 64°F
Wind: 5-10 kn NNE to N (gusting to 12 kn)
Barometric Pressure: 1024 mb (rising then falling)
Sky: Mostly Sunny
Water Clarity: 0 - 4 Ft
Water Temp: 70°F
Structure: Grass, sand pockets, and oyster

Solunar
Sunrise/set: 7:51 am/6:44 pm
Moonrise/set: 9:53 am/8:25 pm
Moon Phase: Waxing Crescent (2.9 %)

Predicted Tides @ Port Aransas (MLLW)
Low @ 10:32 am (-0.27 ft)
High @ 8:09 pm (1.17 ft)

Lures
Silver Mullet Spook Jr.
Chicken on a Chain Sand Shad
Bone Diamond GrassWalker
PBT Double Bunny Jig

Fish
Reds: 2 Keepers, numerous unders
Trout: 8 Keepers, some unders

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: East Flats - November 6, 2021

Post by Ron Mc »

Saturday, we crossed the ferry at Port Aransas to Mustang Is and Island Moorings Marina to fish East Flats.
We had to be off the water at 2pm, because Nina coaches her daughter's volleyball team, and learned the evening before they made the playoffs.

Unfortunately, Lou and I were staged on the ramp, had to launch before a boat backed down, and our partners had to wait out two more boat launches before they could play.
We paddled out first to East Flats.

What we didn't know, our friends stayed in the boat channel to fish the cuts onto East Flats and East Flats Lake

We had two fairly boring drifts diagonal across East Flats, Lou was happy with a keeper trout and rat red, but I was shut out.
We spent the rest of the day looking for our friends on East Flats Lake, and paddled 8 miles - it was a beautiful day.

But our friends caught 100 trout, mostly dinks, and Josh boated a keeper limit.
I would have given anything to be there with my UL.
Maybe I'll have to buy Josh a VHF - I don't do cell phones on the water.

So my Saturday was about food - Whit's famous ceviche, spec fillet cooked by key lime juice, and mostly chopped by William.

Josh's perfect and rightly famous shimp boil.

A great time around the firepit, and serious libation.
spiny norman
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: East Flats - November 6, 2021

Post by spiny norman »

East Flats has become my favorite spot over the years. If for no other reason that it often produces in a north wind when most other places are as quiet as a mouse pissing on cotton.

I started out by working the leeward shoreline of Pelone and 50 yards in, I had spooked two and caught one at 18 inches. All Reds were holding tight to the grass. I figured the better fish were on the windward shorelines so moseyed over to the first drain on that side. On my way, I was treated to some of the saltiest cussin I had heard in a while compliments of a half dozen teenagers occupying one of the duck blinds. Considering the racket they were making, I would be shocked if they went home with anything more than empty shell bags. :lol:

I get to the windward side of the flat just to the right of the wider cut and I'm instantly rewarded with a 20.5 Red. Quickly bag him and start working my way down the shore. I spook another slot and loose a good one then head to that first little island. Right away my lure is chased out of that slough right next to the duck blind. By the wake, I could tell it was a solid fish. I'm guessing it didn't take the bait because the wind had me pushed too close. :evil: Now I need to regroup. This little island has maybe three pockets on the windward side. Good fish are here. only going to get a few shots so better make 'em count. The next pocket seems to have the best setup on the island. Good grass with a deep pocket that funnels that north wind .
I back off about 15 yards and regroup.
Lure tracking right...check.
Leader free of nicks... check.
No unseen wind knots in the braid....check.
Drift angle set up right....check.

STOODIS!

First cast was a little outside the pocket,... Nothing. Second cast 6 inches from the back of the hole and dead center. One turn of the reel and he slams it. A long fight and now another Red in the bag. This one at 23.5 inches. :D

I start over to the Island with the fish camps when the phone rings. Josh telling me they are into the trout where the flat drains on the north side of Pelone. Figured I could work the shoreline on my way. Spooked a few but not a lot of action. Get to the channel about 10 minutes after the bite died and everyone left. Caught back up with them on the south side of Pelone. Tried and tried to catch a trout but it just wasn't in the cards so went back to the windward shore and scratched out that third Red at 22 inches.