Another redeye redfish run

preast

Another redeye redfish run

Post by preast »

Couldn't resist the low wind prediction for Friday and decided to make my typical super early morning dash to make it for sunrise. Problem was that it was showing windy at 2:30a on a couple sites, so I sat there watching and trying to decide if the 5mph wind prediction would come true. By the time I left, I wasn't gonna make sunrise. Oh well. Got there and whoa... the tide was super high, higher than I've ever fished. Total opposite conditions of last time I went. So I went straight for the back lakes, and I found a few fish in a likely spot. I did get a good number of shots off, with about as many takers as spooked but I couldn't connect on any except for this one oversized guy, which made it worth it.

Was checking out the mouth of a little drain and a massive wake that no mullet would ever make came rolling out and into the lower lake where I was. This fish looked huge and I could luckily just barely make him out as he worked his way around. Somehow he didn't spook and I was able to drop a small shrimp gurgler in front of his face, and he went for it. Actually watched the take. Then comes the frantic line clearing, drag setting part, and line-burned fingers. Man these bigger ones fight hard. Funny thing... it was a lake about 50x100', and there was just a single dead mangrove "tumbleweed" in the middle and you can imagine what happened. I managed to drag the whole thing up without losing him. Gonna get interesting when all the dead mangroves turn into tumbleweeds.

BTW, a vote for Seaguar Gold Label FC. Strong and thin, doesn't kink up like other FCs when you stress it, and behaves/takes knots more like nylon. Great tippet material.

Not the fattest, but right at 28.5" (previous best was 27.5" but that was 7 or 8 yrs ago)
I've never seen this spot with this much water. A lot more visible now unfortunately. Lots of bait up in there but I don't think I identified any reds
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Another redeye redfish run

Post by karstopo »

That’s a fun fish. Congratulations on keeping it on. Baby bull in the marsh is treat.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

The best tippet I've used is YGK Hard from Japan, but Gold is a good hard leader, as well. Just keep in mind it's not as damage-tolerant as those higher-memory thicker leaders.
I'm currently going over all my braid fluorocarbon leaders and replacing those with nicks, getting ready for an Arroyo trip in a few weeks.

Nice fish - thanks for the report.
preast

Post by preast »

Yeah that's actually why I tried it out Ron. Just for shallow, clear water with smallish flies and in the conditions I'm using it, I'll trade the hardness for manageability. I'll keep YGK in mind, once I get through the multiple ones I have now. That may take me a while though...
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I shop in Japan a lot, and my buddy Lou found out why today - a new reel he ordered from Tokyo on Friday is out for Fed-Ex delivery today.
My best Fed-Ex delivery from Japan was 44 hours.
The JDM price is 30% cheaper than USM equivalent, 5 times as many models to choose, and the Fed-Ex delivery is gratis.
They also have niche-specific inshore (and offshore) tackle that US suppliers wouldn't think about.