Freeport December 14th

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Freeport December 14th

Post by karstopo »

Foggy start at 12:30. The fog influenced my choice of fishing locations. Wanted to go to the bay, but the idea of paddling around in an open bay in the fog wasn’t so appealing. Went to a narrow channel lined with shell instead. Tide was coming in. Water was clear green and cool.

I fished over shell in 3-5’ of water. Fished DSL burner shad in white ice on 1/16 ounce jig heads. Cast up current, let the paddle tail fall to the shell, lift rod tip, repeat. Forgot my hook sharpener and that cost me fish. Hook point got dinged up on the reef, I lost a number of fish, the math seems clear.

Still managed to get in several 14” trout, one barely keeper, and several redfish, along with two lower slots. Lost a few keeper trout. Pretty steady action. Tide movement lessened later, probably about to turn to outgoing. Back at launch by 16:15.
Attachments
FEC56328-AABC-494C-B61A-30A45EC9FDDD.jpeg
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Freeport December 14th

Post by Ron Mc »

Fog is a great fishing omen, and incoming tide should send you into those sloughs, anyway.
Great report.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Forgot to mention one of the redfish had a number of small, partially digested 1.5” shrimp in its stomach. The other 2 fish had mostly nothing or a little heavily digested “goo”.

I like the fog. Seems like fog encourages fish to feed. Probably more about a warming trend that accompanies or generates the fog and the overall lower light levels.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Those are some chunky reds, nice. Seems like the fish really hold on the mud and shell in the wintertime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk