Limit of Redfish, well sort of. Redfish 1 Yakboi 0

OldTownYakBoi

Limit of Redfish, well sort of. Redfish 1 Yakboi 0

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Good afternoon and Happy New Year to all my TKF fisherman. 2021 was a great year of fishing for me that ended comedic.

I launched into a bayou on 12/30/21 for my last fishing session of the year. December as most of you know has been unseasonably warm, and I for one am not complaining at all. On the last few trips I’ve been dialed in on the fish, really concentrating on low tide patterns.

Upon launch it was 75 degrees with a slight south wind 5-10 mph. Water temperature around 67 degrees and bait was abundant. As I paddled up shallow to an area I know can hold fish there wasn’t much water movement, but there was an abundance of bait. I fished for the better part of an hour and a half in this small area without any action. However, I had a lot of confidence in the area based on what I was seeing, and before too long I started seeing the baitfish on the move, they were nervous and being chased. The signs were subtle but were there. I positioned my self at the edge of the flat where there’s a slight drop off, it goes from about 2 ft to 3-4 ft. Throwing an all limetruese down south lure I hooked up on my first fish. After a brief fight I had him in the boat and decided to put him on ice, a 21 in red. About 5 casts later in the same area I got whacked again and put my second slot red in the boat. I proceeded to call my dad to try and get him on the fish bc he was way on the other side of the bayou. After getting off the phone and about 10 minutes later I hook up again on the best fish of the day. After a fun fight I had my limit in the boat. I put the fish on grips and I hear my phone buzz. I go and grab my phone from my compartment and am looking at it. So phone in one hand and redfish in the other I go to put my final fish in the cooler…. As soon as I got my cooler lid half way open the second fish that had been on Ice for around 10 minutes came flying out like a bat out of hell. In a flash he had escaped and in the process knocked my phone into the bayou with him.

Redfish 1 Yakboi 0…

Luckily I had insurance on the phone to weaken the blow, but that was it for my fish catching, it completely took me out of the zone. My dad got a good laugh out of it, and now that I have a new phone back I can too. I’m looking forward to a fruitful 2022 and also fishing with some more TKF members. Sorry there’s no picture of the report, but blame the Pesky red who did it. I hope the fish gods are pleased with my sacrifice and show mercy on me when this massive cold front comes.

Tight lines & Cheers to a New Year
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Limit of Redfish, well sort of. Redfish 1 Yakboi 0

Post by Ron Mc »

ouch.
My phone stays in a pelican box, and my outdoor camera on a lanyard around my neck.
Thanks for the report - happy New Year.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Good, funny fishing report, Yak Boi, although you young guns seem to lose your cellphones in the drink. Consider a "life boat" cradle like Shoffer uses. If you dunk your phone, it floats on the surface.

You get extra points for finally knocking Ron's beloved Arroyo report off the lead TKF eport list, lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Nice. Redfish can last and remain alive hours on ice, that has been my experience, 10 minutes on ice is nothing for them. I’ve had a flounder fly out of the bottom of an ice chest and on to freedom, but not yet a redfish. I like to freeze gallon jugs of water for my ice chest then put that block of ice on top of the fish.

Good on you to get on the fish and then report on it. My fishing buddy was notorious for dumping his phone in the drink. Seemed like most every time we fished together, he somehow had his phone slip into the water.
txanalogkd

Post by txanalogkd »

Great fishing report and funny ending. This redfish had it out for you for ruining it's day. :) Thanks for posting!!
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Ron Mc wrote:ouch.
My phone stays in a pelican box, and my outdoor camera on a lanyard around my neck.
Thanks for the report - happy New Year.
I need a lanyard of some sort for the future haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Dandydon wrote:Good, funny fishing report, Yak Boi, although you young guns seem to lose your cellphones in the drink. Consider a "life boat" cradle like Shoffer uses. If you dunk your phone, it floats on the surface.

You get extra points for finally knocking Ron's beloved Arroyo report off the lead TKF eport list, lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
I’m actually pretty good with my electronics, but this was a rogue redfish who had it out for me. I’m also surprised by the lack of reports with how warm the weather has been.

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

karstopo wrote:Nice. Redfish can last and remain alive hours on ice, that has been my experience, 10 minutes on ice is nothing for them. I’ve had a flounder fly out of the bottom of an ice chest and on to freedom, but not yet a redfish. I like to freeze gallon jugs of water for my ice chest then put that block of ice on top of the fish.

Good on you to get on the fish and then report on it. My fishing buddy was notorious for dumping his phone in the drink. Seemed like most every time we fished together, he somehow had his phone slip into the water.
They really are some tough fish, he wasn’t at the bottom of the ice chest, but had a nice layer of ice on him. He flew out with force lol, never seen a red do that.

I gotta get me some kind of lanyard or case, a phone in the drink makes for an expensive fishing trip

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

txanalogkd wrote:Great fishing report and funny ending. This redfish had it out for you for ruining it's day. :) Thanks for posting!!
He got me good haha, maybe I’ll catch him again some day for ultimate revenge

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I put my phone in a very high tech HEB or Aldi gallon zip bag with a couple paper towels to catch water dripping off my fingers. I leave a little air in the bag for buoyancy. So far, so good.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

OldTownYakBoi wrote: I need a lanyard of some sort for the future haha
Cheep.
https://smile.amazon.com/Costa-Del-Mar- ... r_1_1_sspa