Christmas Bay report 5-Feb-2023

deptrai

Christmas Bay report 5-Feb-2023

Post by deptrai »

The previous two weekends were too windy for my liking so this was my first trip in three weeks.
I haven’t caught a keeper flounder since before Halloween so I set out to target the flatties today.
1.jpg
I caught nine of them, but they were all short. The longest was ~13.5”.
4.jpg
Eight were caught on a Skelly Shrimp and one on a Diezel Minnow.
2.jpg
5.jpg
After I broke off my only Skelly shrimp while setting the hook, I tied on a 4” Gulp and never got another bite. I haven’t used Gulp much, but have never gotten a bite. I know they are supposed to be magic, but not for me.
There was a lot of salad in the water today and the mosquitoes were thick at times.
I think it’s about time to try a new body of water.
Where is one most likely to catch a keeper flounder in a kayak from Galveston to Freeport?

Dave
deptrai

Re: Christmas Bay report 5-Feb-2023

Post by deptrai »

7.jpg
6.jpg
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

You get extra credit for fishing your ass off for so many close-to-legal flounder. Most people love to catch and eat the sassy flatties.

I used to limit out on flounder kayaking near the end of Galveston Sportsman Road, across the deep pass to the other side.

But then the Corp. of Engineers built that extensive new shoreline which radically altered the currents around there. I haven't caught a flounder over there since...

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

Flounder are tough to find in the winter for me, As the water warms catch a nice incoming tide around cold pass and titlum tatlum bayou and you can pick up some nice ones.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Might be worth doing a search here on TKF for some old posts about flounder from years back. Was it Jantzen Miller or JMiller that caught good numbers of plus sized keeper flounder year around? He did as I remember it fish somewhere in the Galveston area and at times in the more industrial harbor areas. He had very detailed reports, though.

Mature Southern flounder females (pretty much every legal sized flounder hereabouts is a girl) from what I understand go out into the middle shelf waters of the Gulf of Mexico in fall to spawn. Some of those are still likely making their way back into the bays and estuaries. I believe most people struggle finding legal sized flounder in the heart of winter here.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

DD is right. The flounder have been spotty over there, but I did have one day where I caught about 5 back to back throwing next to the new rock wall right as you enter the marsh. There is a 5-6 foot hole at the base. I have been back since, but never hooked up there again, though, so I guess it is hit or miss.

Also, there was a guy on here named "FlounderPounder" I think who could always find the monsters. He targeted them exclusively, and most of his big catches were hitting docks, pilings, bulkheads and rip-rap along the west shoreline of Galveston Bay proper. Usually the water there is too rough and dirty for the kind of fishing I like to do, but he pulled some monsters out of there.