2/5 Rockport- Rockport Trip

wittich

2/5 Rockport- Rockport Trip

Post by wittich »

I wanted to beat boat traffic and fish under the full moon, so I woke up at 4:30 and headed towards the kayak launch. I crossed the channel and started fishing. Unfortunately, there was no bait activity and no fish. I paddled up to fish a cut started catching rat reds. I caught a couple small trout and moved on. At times I got tired of paddling and I would get out and wade with a kayak rope tied around my waist.
I found it interesting that several time boats where going full speed in deeper water and as they lined up behind me, I would hear them cut their engines. I turned around and noticed them watching me. Then they joined the party and start fishing nearby.
I guess some people think there is a guy fishing, that must be a good spot so let's fish near him. Little did they know, I was just taking a break from paddling.
I made my way to another boat channel and started catching a good number of trout in 12-18 inches. The biggest was probably 20 inches. I am fan of the Lil john soft plastics in watermelon color.
Then I hear someone yell, "He's got one!"
I look behind me and see two john boats heading right towards me. I am not interested in getting into a fight about some dink trout, but you would think people would give each other a little bit of space. At first these guys just drifted through. Everyone was catching trout and wearing them out. Then one guy fired up his engine and drove right over the trout we had been catching to get another drift in. This was too much for the trout and no one caught any fish after that. I will have to start finding some more remote areas, or start to mothership my kayak further away . It was still on of the most beautiful days I have had on the water. We are lucky to have such great water quality on the Texas coast.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: 2/5 Rockport- Rockport Trip

Post by Dandydon »

Yes, such great water quality sometimes interrupted by inconsiderate fishing pricks like you encountered. I quit yelling at morons like that because they sometimes pack guns. The baywaters can be unpleasant when the pricks go on parade.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

wittich

Post by wittich »

Tarpon 140.jpg
wittich

Post by wittich »

3 spots.jpg
wittich

Post by wittich »

rockport trout.jpg
rockport trout.jpg (46.16 KiB) Viewed 2143 times
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

thanks for the report and photos.

I remember Glenn's story about the power boat that vultured his beach launch, checked his heading, then beat him to his targeted rig.
... and waved at him when he got there.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

I fished the same day but over at M&C cut near AP. It had to be that crowd on that day. I had the same thing happen to me but I wasn't catching. A boat pulled up behind me and started casting, another boat stopped on the other side behind me and was just watching us. Then another came and started wade fishing. When I started fishing this area there was no one round. I understand it is a busy area but people's fishing skills need to improve. Spot and Stalking other fisherman is not a respectable technique. Nonetheless, they moved out after not catching for 15min :roll: It was a slow day over there for me. I only fished a couple of hours with two small trout. I did run into a group of reds that were B-lining somewhere else. You are right, the day was gorgeous though. One positive I have tried to adapt. Usually these people will not disrupt your fishing if you do not let them. Yes, it may change your plans BUT do not let them ruin your day. Just paddle away or say howdy. People have always been a a little crazy, we do not want to meet one on the water while enjoying it. Remember too, we get to paddle these waters looking for fish while they wake up to a loud outboard looking for FISHERMAN who are catching fish. We are already winning by just enjoying it.

I had a air-boat go by me in LHL and stop right in front of my drift. I was on a great drift with catching and fish activity. I was hot inside, but there were 3 guys in that boat and they all loved food. Not that this mattered, but I took a deep breath and paddled by. One guy shouted out " I saw a big group of reds by those mangroves, great place for a kayak." He was being sincere and I thanked him. As I got passed them a little further I saw a wake, I cast my topwater, and BOOM 27inch red...for all to see. The whole thing kinda changed my perspective on these things.