LHL with new ride.

Kitsune

LHL with new ride.

Post by Kitsune »

Fishing the Aransas Pass area in March has been a bit of a tease. I have been visually putting my eyes on a good number of redfish back in the lakes and out on the the open bay. The sizes have been good too. The frustrating part is the weather and timing. March is a tease in general, the weather can look fantastic but the water can be off-color,cold, and little bait. It can also be that you happen to get the time tables right, a couple of warm days, and a light wind A.M bite, and it can be great. Another advantage to March is the afternoon bites when the fronts have moved past and after a full moon. One can find some good P.M. bites that really fit kayak fishing with lures. April will be a little easier if the winds are not too crazy. The bait and fish will be getting settled into the flats and the vegetation will be catching up. The mangroves in LHL are slowly creeping their way back and lets see how the floating grass is this year.

I also finally got the kayak I have wanted for a couple of years now. I traveled to Houston and met with David through Trail Expeditions (excellent service) and purchased this Eddyline Caribbean 14fs. This is the longest kayak I have ever paddled and I noticed the differences right away. The kayak overall is great, I can stand, crab-walk, and reach everywhere I need to. My biggest takeaway was actually how well it drifted :lol: . The drift on a windy day was slower, less rocking, and in a straighter direction(if that makes sense). The shorter kayaks I fished before tended to drift much faster and in a less direct path. The seat on here is awesome, right up there with the Native ones I have used in the past.
kayak.jpg

This trip I fished the lakes using a gold spoon and gold/black topwater. The water clarity was about at a 6/10 and the wind was around 10mph to 20gust. Both fish were caught blind casting, one spoon fed and the other on topwater. The larger redfish was sitting in a little shallow area with placid water. I casted up into it not thinking too much, when the fish completely breached the water and nailed the topwater. I could see the entire fish for a split second in midair. :D
first eddyline trip.jpg
JW FunGuy

Re: LHL with new ride.

Post by JW FunGuy »

Thanks for the fishing report. And thanks for the Kayak review! I have been drooling over one of those for a couple of years now.
So it is standup able ?
Did you have to special order it and how long did it take them to get it in? They seem pretty unobtainable.
And I always wanted to see one in person so this as as close as I’ve come.
Plus Reds look good on it!
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

JW FunGuy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:33 am Thanks for the fishing report. And thanks for the Kayak review! I have been drooling over one of those for a couple of years now.
So it is standup able ?
Did you have to special order it and how long did it take them to get it in? They seem pretty unobtainable.
And I always wanted to see one in person so this as as close as I’ve come.
Plus Reds look good on it!
Thanks for the reply. Yes it is standup able, but it is a narrow kayak (29") so that part is getting used to. I am a younger (35) athletic person and I have always stood up in my kayaks so this one was easy after figuring out the stability. I called Trail Expeditions and talked with David for about an hour. He had this kayak in stock but said he could pretty much order me what I wanted. He said it would take time for certain colors,models, and such but that the kayak inventory is starting to get back to normal. I wasn't really set on color, but after he explained the green on white, I couldn't resist. It looks really good close-up, the shine, the white underbelly, its just beautiful. hopefully I will be able to share many times on here with more red "pumpkins" laying inside.
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

Wow! That is a slick looking kayak, congrats. Just curious of what material it is made of. I had a Hurricane Phoenix 16 for a lot of years, it was manufactured with trylon, very slick and tuff. The Eddyline sure looks a lot like. Enjoy…………cC
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

CopanoCruisin wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:11 pm Wow! That is a slick looking kayak, congrats. Just curious of what material it is made of. I had a Hurricane Phoenix 16 for a lot of years, it was manufactured with trylon, very slick and tuff. The Eddyline sure looks a lot like. Enjoy…………cC
This is from their website.
[First to apply computer-aided design and use computer machined originals, Tom Derrer significantly improved hull symmetry and performance. His commitment to superior quality ledhim to deliberately avoid the trendy but lower quality roto-molded Polyethylene models that were common of many manufacturers. Instead, Tom waited for more advanced technology, which came in the form of high-performance thermoplastic, named Carbonlite 2000. Now used to produce every model of Eddyline Kayaks, this revolutionary new material offers dimensional stability, high heat distortion temperatures, hardglossy finishes, easy repairs, UV resistance, and lighter weight.]

It’s only 50 pounds, but is 14ft with accessories (rail and rod holders). The hull design is what I really like. It allows the kayak to track straighter without the aid of a rudder. I took it out on a windy day and it was definitely catching the wind more. BUT, once I was on track and figured the paddling out I was able to keep a straight line. It definitely does not want to turn, you have to make it. It’s everything I have ever wanted in a paddling fishing kayak.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Cool boat! Never heard of the company, but it looks slick. Bait is stacking up pretty good in our area within the last week, Spring is here. I'm sure it won't be long until your flats are loaded as well. Now only if the wind would calm down, a man can dream...
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

OldTownYakBoi wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:29 am Cool boat! Never heard of the company, but it looks slick. Bait is stacking up pretty good in our area within the last week, Spring is here. I'm sure it won't be long until your flats are loaded as well. Now only if the wind would calm down, a man can dream...
No joke! Look at this week… geez. Probably more to come in April and May… “the wind is my friend” “ the wind is my friend” :|
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

congrats on your boat - looks like a sweet ride