Port Bay/ Swan Lake

Kitsune

Port Bay/ Swan Lake

Post by Kitsune »

Finally got some really nice light wind mornings and fished closer to home. I fished and got reports from Port Bay to Swan Lake. Port Bay had a lot of redfish up in the grass feeding early in the morning. With the light winds, Port Bay can be an awesome fishery for the fisherman. If you like casting at grassy reds, be my guest, they were everywhere. I’m not as patient with these reds so I cast usually out in the 2-3 foot of water outside of the tailing reds. This usually produces fish, not all the reds are showing their backs. Like this monster that attacked my topwater. Came out at 32 inches and I saw probably 2-3 fish that were in the size range.Water clarity was 6/10 with a really light wind. Port Bay- light winds, clearer water (less rain), early morning. The super shallow grass shorelines have tailing reds. The 2-3 foot of grass flats that make their way around Port Bay are holding lots of reds and some nice trout too! This will probably change with the moon coming up and hot summer months. Getting on the water before sunlight and being on top of your game will be the best tactic coming up..or fishing at night, which this early-bird cannot.
IMG_4407.jpeg
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Port Bay/ Swan Lake

Post by Ron Mc »

Thanks for the great report.
I fished Port Bay first time in Oct. with Josh, and looking forward to returning.

The name Swan Lake always hauls my brain back to the '90s and the one on the Matagorda side of Cedar Bayou (my largest flounder, and on fly rod).
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Thank you for the report, I need to spend more time in Copano Bay system; so many good spots.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Yeah I really enjoy the area. I found the eastern portion of Port Bay and outside edges of Swan to be the best when the water is off-color. With little rain and colder months I do believe the water clarity improves further back. I know some people on here that know a lot more about this system. I intend to fish it much more… there are some big ones in there.
wittich

Post by wittich »

Nice report. I fish nearby but have not spent much time in Port Bay yet.
jasonchajek1

Post by jasonchajek1 »

I really like this area. Nice catch.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

That’s a tank redfish. I also like the skitterwalk, redfish seem to love em. Nice catch & report!
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I fished Port Bay Friday, south of the launch. Got one 17" Red, and two big blue crabs. If you go east from the launch, past Port Bay Club, there's a couple of marsh drains in the corner of Italian Bend that can be productive in a falling tide. Also, you can launch from Cape Valero Road into the marsh there, and access Italian Bend. If the tide is low, it's not a good plan. A friend used to drift from Port Bay Club to Cape Valero. There's some structure on the bottom that always held trout for him. Lots of good fishing in that area, and it's usually accessible, even in a strong wind. Good luck! TexasJim
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Thanks TX JIM. I’m thinking about trying Port Bay this week. The winds are little high for me but the water clarity and fishing reports seem too good.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Thanks for the report. It’s been awhile since I have fished there, I have been wanting to explore more.
Your boat still looks good slimed up! :) It looks like it is holding up nicely. I’m still drooling!