1-25-09 Eckert's Bayou

DB
Location: Planning, engaged in, or recovering from a fishing trip"

1-25-09 Eckert's Bayou

Post by DB »

Shook the skunk that had been on me since Jan 4 !

Usual low water levels, no small mullet in the water...only scattered small shrimp along the grasslines.

Went out Friday afternoon and got one keeper speck, an undersized red, and some croaker. Couldn't run the artificals more than a foot deep in the shallow water or the deeper channels without having them come back up looking like Cousin Id (big time algae) so went to shrimp under a cork.

That night found some black drum in the shallows on (now dead) shrimp. Boated 3, 2 of them 14-15" and good eating !

Saturday before the front it was balmy and dead calm. Got an undersized speck and sandy at sunrise, and that was it for me. Headed in an hour after the front arrived. Just not a lot of bait in the water and the shallow marshes that seem to warm up during the day were about dry.

Met a couple (maybe TKFers) on my way in who fished that whole bayou hard until 1pm while it was blowin and goin. Dedication for sure ! Told me they landed some undersized fish including a flattie but not much for the freezer.
Attachments
DSCF0081a.jpg
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

Good eating there with that puppy drum!
CostaDeCajunTejas34

Post by CostaDeCajunTejas34 »

Was there enough water for wadfishing? and did you fish the gut that goes out into the bay?

Thanks
spektakler

Post by spektakler »

Hey DB good to see you on the water, me and the wife worked it hard. I picked up the taterchip flounder (and lost one more) about the same place in the boat cut that you moved up to when we got there. the slime was'nt quite as bad in the deepest part of the channel. picked up the two dink specs drifting the cut back into Eckarts. When we switched from bull minnows to the Gulp Curly Tail in glow the dinks were all over it. All in all, good day.
DB
Location: Planning, engaged in, or recovering from a fishing trip"

Post by DB »

Hey spektakular, you and the lady have some thicker bark than me ! Glad to see you at fooled a few.

Costa, a lot of people wadefish there...they were at it last week and its thigh to waist deep in a lot of places with the ususal flats and some sand not much shell. Too muddy and sticky for me! I dont get up towards the bay esp. with a N or NE wind as it gets pretty choppy. That part of the bayou is nice in the summer though.
GatorYak

Post by GatorYak »

Thanks for the post :D
CostaDeCajunTejas34

Post by CostaDeCajunTejas34 »

Thanks
Finn Maccumhail
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Finn Maccumhail »

Where did you put-in at? I go to that small launch area/ramp off 11 Mile/Settegast. Behind that subdivision (LaFitte's Cove I think).