Sportsmans Warehouse Closing

chavez
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Sportsmans Warehouse Closing

Post by chavez »

I received an email today from Round Rock's Sportsmans Warehouse store manager Sarge Upchurch that the store will be closing. Not much more detail than that other than a mention of a liquidation process (don't know if that means some sort of going out of business sale).

Even though I haven't been to that store in quite a while, it is another sad reminder of the state of our economy. I am sure it was difficult to compete with the likes of Academy, too. The only sale SW's had that I looked forward to was their annual balloon sale. I scored a 50% off ticket from one of their balloons once and ended up buying a Springfield XD pistol for half price.

If I find out more information about the closing, I'll let y'all know.
Blustar29

Post by Blustar29 »

Here's alittle bit more info on the closing. I've worked there part time for several years. While it's disapointing, I can't say I'm really surprised. I'll just say that SW had a golden opportunity putting a store in RR, but they missed the boat. Too much stuff on the shelves that folks in this area don't want or need.........not enough stuff on the shelves that folks in this area DO want. Outdoor activities in the US are extremly regional, and the retail outlets that don't understand that, don't last.

The doors will close for good in the middle of May with the 24th being the absolute last day.

SW just resently closed a deal where SW was sold. SW was owned by a single individual who started the chain. The bottom line in the transaction is this: 23 stores (stores in the Mid-West and South) are being closed and 15 stores (stores in the North West region) are going to stay open. The new owner is a Canadian Group called UFA Co-Op.

A few other burrs:

The debt that SW had accumulated created some supplier issues over the last year. The result was that SW had been cut off with some suppliers.

The man who started SW is also going thru the "Big D" right now. I've only heard rumors about the situtation so I don't know what the details are, but the word is that he needs $$ since his "soon to be EX" will be taking him to the cleaners.

The good news is that there will be some deals for some folks. I've not heard anything about a specific liquidation schedule/info so far, but they will be trying to get rid of most items in the store to avoid additional shipping costs. There are some new Tridents (11 ft & 13 Ft) and some New Big Games.

Later on...............
chavez
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by chavez »

Thanks for the update. Looks like they started markdowns already. Up to 30% off on most items except firearms and ammunition.
FishByte

Post by FishByte »

Stopped by with the family this afternoon. Most stuff was 10% off with some tackle 20% off. It was crowded but the checkout lines weren't too bad. Seems more people are looking than buying. At 10% off, Academy is still cheaper on may items.
chavez
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by chavez »

FishByte wrote:Stopped by with the family this afternoon. Most stuff was 10% off with some tackle 20% off. It was crowded but the checkout lines weren't too bad. Seems more people are looking than buying. At 10% off, Academy is still cheaper on may items.
I went by on Saturday and I completely agree. I bought maybe $20 worth of marked down stuff and then stopped by Academy down the road afterwards since their prices are even better.