DIY low budget shooting tripod

TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

DIY low budget shooting tripod

Post by TexaRican »

I'm no craftsman, but I really like jerry rigging stuff. After that huge buck made my heart pound and hands tremble the other day, I know I don't want to try him with an off-hand shot from a seated position. So I priced shooting sticks and such today - way, way out of my budget (which is pretty much $0 :lol: ).

Did this one so fast I wondered why I was not using my McGuyver swiss army knife.

1. Standard camera tripod - freebie leftover from the neighbor's garage sale.

2. Scrap piece of pine and a T-nut from the catch-all drawer. Set in with handyman loctite.

3. Building a cradle with neoprene leftover from some long-forgotten kayak project.

4. Neoprene cover, more glue and a few staples.

5. Ready to shoot!! This will really come in handy when my daughter takes her first shot. I'll throw some olive drab krylon on tomorrow to dull down that aluminum finish.
length
Location: Opinions are like rear ends every one has one and they all stink from time to time!

Re: DIY low budget shooting tripod

Post by length »

Looks good to me, I'm a tightwad too!
fishingcowboy

Post by fishingcowboy »

that is awesome........... what a way to use free stuff
Lou Dog

Post by Lou Dog »

Very nice, my cousin made me a kayak cart out of an old persons walker and 2 wheels he bought at Harbor Freight for $10 a few years back, I still have it maybe I'll post pics of it in the fishing forum when I get good pic of it.
rwg

Post by rwg »

very nice. I thought about doing that a few years ago but gave in and bought a bipod. I have used a camera tri pod lots taking pictures. Watch the turn knob that will rais and lower the connection point. They sometimes free real if they are not locked down. Would hate to be looking throught the scope at "the big one" when it happened. It was something I noticed when I was toying around with the idea. By the way I was just going to use the tripod as it was. I really like your modification to turn it into a true shooting rest. Very nice work. I am sure you will be happy with it.
lockhart

Post by lockhart »

I wanted a bi-pod but didn't want to pay the price, so I bought a replacement fiberglass tent pole that came in 4 sections. I separated it into 2 pieces and put a big rubber band around the pieces about 4 inches from the end. I think it was less than $10.
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Coastal Country »

What I use, two 6' bamboo sticks and some electrical tape and a small 6" bungee cord. it can be set as low as 3' up to standing... Cost me $2 for a bag of bungees and tape

TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by TexaRican »

Stopped at the Walmart in Huntsville in the wee hours of Sat morning before hunting. They had a Winchester brand shooting stick for $9.99 so I picked one up. The tripod was great for my kid sitting in a chair but it was bulky and clumsy when we went walking through the forest. We jumped a bunch of deer but I could not get her set up fast or quiet enough.
The shooting sick looks basically like one leg of the tripod with 3 telescoping sections and a sharp end. You can take the gun cradle off and mount a camera too. I carried it Sat fully extended so I'd have it ready quickly. This one will definitely be what we use for spot-n-stalk.

Oh yeah, that WM also already has their camo and other hunting stuff on clearance.