Sabalo SOT build

TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Sabalo SOT build

Post by TexaRican »

[quote="AyJay"]It seems to be working out. Now I've got to figure out how to pull the painter tape off without tearing up the edges of the paint.

I'll sure be interested in anybody can answer that one. I've tried pulling it off before the paint dries and that works ok but if you want to paint more than one coat, the chances of taping of a 2nd time in exactly the same lines is pretty slim.
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

In almost all cases you should pull the tape while the paint is green.
AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AyJay »

yep, should have, but I DESPISE re-taping between coats, too. Perhaps extreme care with a razor blade....
AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AyJay »

Well, the blue tape came off with really no trouble. The paint is still a bit soft, but that'll change in the next few days. The Rig-a-thon has begun!

Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

It's really looking good now. You're not that far from completion. Looking forward to seeing all the photos and that should be soon.
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

:clap: Great Workmanship :clap: Where did U order UR front hatch from :?:

Mike
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Those two large hatches look like hatches Cobra uses on their yaks. My guess is Cobra.
fishnv
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishnv »

Very nice. Can't wait to see it completed.
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Thanks N/W :wink:

Mike
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Man! Matt will most certainly be show casing that one. It's a classic.
JEM

Post by JEM »

preacher wrote:Man! Matt will most certainly be show casing that one. It's a classic.
Naw... it's an ugly pig.

:mrgreen: :lol: :D

barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

JEM wrote:
preacher wrote:Man! Matt will most certainly be show casing that one. It's a classic.
Naw... it's an ugly pig.

:mrgreen: :lol: :D

As the lawyers say...challenge for cause! That's one spiffy high class fish chasin' ride! I just saw it in person, afloat in Inks Lake, not 6 hrs ago. That's a catalogue cover waiting to have its picture taken! Not shinin' you on, just statin' a fact!
PS...let's don't start on the Wye 13'6" stripper panel...that's another lovely story altogether!
Some truly beautiful boats appeared in the hill country today. Somebody in the boat plans business missed a helluva photo op! JMHO!
AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AyJay »

Well, I'll put up some pics, but they're not really sized well. I've got some bigger ones, but the 800x600 limit means I'll have to re-size.

How it got there.

AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AyJay »

The circle lock hatches are all Hobie hatches. The front one is a Cobra "A hatch. I think I told a few at the meet it was Hobie, but it's Cobra. They're hard to find, but can be ordered online. The screw in deckplates are Atwood, if I remember right. It has a hobie anchor trolley too. The rudder kit is a SmartTrack Toe pilot. It is very sturdy, though heavy.

It came in a little heavier than my target weight, it's nearly 80lbs fully rigged. If there is any drawback, it is that it is about 10lb heavier than my target weight.

Now for a quick performance review on the boat itself. I LOVE this boat. I love love love it. It paddles smoothly, it is very well balanced, it has both good initial and secondary stability, and it tracks very well, while still being reasonably maneuverable. It does a good job resisting heeling over. It is VERY solid. I took it out on the main lake, and ran it through some waves and boat wakes, and unlike rotomolds which would flex and oilcan, it was solid and steady. It is very easy to fish from. It's not super fast, but holds its own against other similar boats.

It is pretty easy to get back into, too. I jumped out for a swim, and climbed back in without a lot of effort.

I am very satisfied with the boat. I can't wait to try busting through some surf with it.
Last edited by AyJay on Sat May 15, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AyJay »

P.S., it is slimed, too. Used a teeny craw crankbait to troll up a bid redbreast sunfish and a white bass.
AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AyJay »

Almost forgot: It's a nice dry boat, too. It has about 1" or so of draft to spare with me in it on the scuppers. You plug the scuppers, and it's basically canoe dry. It catches the wind a little becasue it is fairly tall, but oh well...it's not that big of a deal.
JEM

Post by JEM »

AyJay wrote:The circle lock hatches are all Hobie hatches. The front one is a Cobra "A hatch. I think I told a few at the meet it was Hobie, but it's Cobra. They're hard to find, but can be ordered online. The screw in deckplates are Atwood, if I remember right. It has a hobie anchor trolley too. The rudder kit is a SmartTrack Toe pilot. It is very sturdy, though heavy.

It came in a little heavier than my target weight, it's nearly 80lbs fully rigged. If there is any drawback, it is that it is about 10lb heavier than my target weight.

Now for a quick performance review on the boat itself. I LOVE this boat. I love love love it. It paddles smoothly, it is very well balanced, it has both good initial and secondary stability, and it tracks very well, while still being reasonably maneuverable. It does a good job resisting heeling over. It is VERY solid. I took it out on the main lake, and ran it through some waves and boat wakes, and unlike rotomolds which would flex and oilcan, it was solid and steady. It is very easy to fish from. It's not super fast, but holds its own against other similar boats.

It is pretty easy to get back into, too. I jumped out for a swim, and climbed back in without a lot of effort.

I am very satisfied with the boat. I can't wait to try busting through some surf with it.

Man you did a fantastic job! I'll send you an email about those pictures.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Wow! :D That is one fine looking boat. 8) Just curious as usual. Since she's all decked out, have you put it on a scale to see how much she weighs?
AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AyJay »

Roughly 80lb, with a bathroom scale.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

At 80 pounds, too much boat for me. She is a beauty though. Love her looks.
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

:clap: Great Build and Nice meeting U at the round-up :wink:

Mike
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Ajay's boat is a really fine boat. He went all out and did a great job. Lot of good detail and thought went into this. Great boat! Well done!
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

That is just a sweet boat. I got to say 80 pounds rigged ain't that bad. My Big Game (plastic) yak weighs in over that fully rigged. The Bumble Bee goes about 90 pounds rigged. That's because they're FISHIN BOATS and got lots of STUFF in em.

On the other hand my brother's Honey Bee only goes 42 pounds but we sacrificed about 4 feet in length to do that.

I can say that if it gets too much for you, I am willing to find a good home for it. :wink:
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Ay Jay
Great looking boat and job building it.
Ron
AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AyJay »

Thanks everyone. It went in the water again sunday, and got a little wear and tear on the paint on Conroe. We'll see how it holds up over time, but it is easy to touch up. I can already tell I will need more coats where my heels sit using the footpegs.