Wye 13-6 continued

makenmend

Re: Wye 13-6 continued

Post by makenmend »

just got back from the coast, will post more pics and impressions soon totally wiped out now.high winds today :!:
MM
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

OK sorry for delay, went to the TKF boatbuilders roundup on Inks lake Sat 15th, boats not finished but ready enough for float testing,then directly after the roundup left for the coast for real world testing.
1st impression,with boat floating stepping in for a clutz was easy
shifting wieght to side secondary stability real good.
paddling, seated on tunnel catching the gunnels on low angle,ok with hi angle,raised seat should fix this.didn't have gps for speed, but seat of pants feel is pretty good for beamy boat.
Dosn't want to turn,but will if persuaded with good sweep or paddle/rudder.tracks straight as a die, and has suprisingly good glide.
And finaly the reason I started this, could I stand and flycast
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

Real world test even tho I have a very poor sence of balance I can stand and flyfish, at 1st a little shaky but with practice I became more confident, and the hi gunnels that interferes with paddling is a real benefit when it comes to standing and sitting for this old fart.In a mild breeze (10 - 15 mph) holding course in any quarter is a easy,wednesday with winds 20 + gusting to 31 things were different (suprise :roll: ) heading back with the wind about 20 degrees off my bow I was slowly veering off my heading but due to the tunnel hull/ tracking it was controlable and a couple of stokes had me on track, I sure got a good workout and feel it today. :dance:
The designer Matt of JEM watercraft has met his goals+. I can't compare it to the native ultimate as yet, but my OK drifter was always my yardstick for stability and I could stand in it but never actualy fish, I can now. :D

MM
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

MM
Compare building and finished product of the two boats.
Thanks
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

Ron the building (assembly) was pretty much the same, if any thing the strip panels were easier to mange on my own, being lighter. definitley much easier having glassed the inner strip panels before assembly. glassing the ply boat inside after assembley not as easy. and of cause the weight difference in the finished boats, I still havn't put them on scales yet so can't give figure but my back can attest to the difference.Havn't spent enough time paddling both yet to tell if there is any advantage to either. I agree with you strip panels is the way to go instead of plywood.

MM
JEM

Post by JEM »

Do you think you'll have opportunity to compare it to a Native Ultimate?
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

Matt I hope to in the future, I know someone with the 14.5 ultimate.

Ok finaly got round to weighing, the strip boat comes in at 38.5 lb and the ply boat 53.2 lb

MM

started cutting my panels for the TV 15-29
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

MM
I think Darrel has one you might send him a pm
Ron
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

WOW
That is nearly 15 lbs difference.
Did you have the same basic construction , cloth and glass on both boats.
Did you find like I did that it is much stiffer than the ply?
Ron
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

:shock: Wow! 38.5#. That's even lighter than I guessed it! That boat will go fishing, fully rigged at <50#! You've got you a winner there! All it needs now is slime! :D
JEM

Post by JEM »

From what I figure, el cheapo ply from the big box stores weighs about 20% more than marine quality okoume. Also, I believe he used 5mm ply which is thicker than needed since he glassed inside and out. So had 4mm okoume been selected, the weights would have been closer together.

Now that being said, the "strip-stitch" method... or whatever you want to call it.... certainly looks incredible and may just make for an overall lighter boat if western red cedar is selected.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Matt
Most of my boats have been from 4 mm ( 3/16 ply) box store ply and building the Duck from 99 percent white pine which is heavier , it still came out lighter.
Ron
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

The only ply I could find in the Island was 5 mm brazilian pine, the build schedule was the same 6oz glass in/out. decks, inwhales the same,so the non common denominator would be the 3/16 WRC.

MM