more epoxy questions

TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

more epoxy questions

Post by TexaRican »

So a neihbor has some epoxy left over from his boat last year. He has the pumps an everything, bought from duckworks and is the same brand as mine but I'm not sure what speed hardener he got. I was just going to pour mine into his bottles and that should give me enough to finish my boat but I'm wondering if it might screw things up if I'm mixing fast hardener in with slow?
AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: more epoxy questions

Post by AyJay »

Hard to say. Might want to contact the manufacturer. Sometimes they use different catalyst agents in the hardener for varying speeds, and mixing the two together might not work out so well.

Of course, you can always mix a bit, then try it and examine the outcome.
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

You can mix the epoxy al long as they are the same formula, but not sure about the catalyst.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

why take the chance of messing them up ,just use them up like they are with no mixing of batches.

Ron
TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by TexaRican »

bowgarguide wrote:why take the chance of messing them up ,just use them up like they are with no mixing of batches.

Ron
That is pretty much what is going to happen since I used almost all of my epoxy today on fillets. Looks nice though. I don't have enough left to start glassing anything so the project is on hold until I get materials.
JEM

Post by JEM »

Duck Works sells a couple different brand. If it's the same exact brand, then mixing hardeners should not be an issue. Many times, vendors only really provide fast and slow cure rate hardeners. They just mix the 2 to create "medium".

Give the manufacturer a call if you're not 100% sure.