Strip Built NorthWind

DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Strip Built NorthWind

Post by DarrellS »

After much delay everything is finally in order so I can start the NorthWind as a strip build. I have had the plans for so long I am surprised Matt has not shown up to repo them.
The boat was designed by JEMWATERCRAFT.com as a stitch and glue, but I asked Matt to redraw it for me as a stripper so it will be a one of a kind for now. Matt calls this boat the "Northwind" and it is based off of Verlen Kruger's "SeaWind".
I started by building a new table for the stiffback to mount on.

I will start cutting out the patterns for the boat over the next few days. I usually take about two weeks or so to get the forms cut out and build the stiffback before you ever start building the boat. This is what you get as far as plans. Each of those patterns will be cut out and glued to plywood to make the form of the boat before applying Wester red cedar strips.

To make something that will look kinda like this.

bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Strip Built NorthWind

Post by bowgarguide »

I am really looking forward to this build, I really want to know if this is the cruiser they say it is.
Ron
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

I used a stiffback when I built the Freedom, But I am wondering what the advantages/disadvantages there is between building another stiffback or mounting the stations directly to the table?
On another note I was in Home Depot earlier and they had some very nice cedar. I picked up Four 3/4x8x12 and two 3/4x8x8 that are completely clear of any knots.
RealBigReel
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by RealBigReel »

Off to a good start.
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

Got a little done this evening. Laid out the one foot marks and pulled a straight line.

Made up a few stations that the forms will mount on.

Mounted the stations on the table.

Then pulled some more string lines to make sure everything is straight and level.

DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

No more progress till Monday. Deer season opens in the Morning and i am about head out.
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

Got a little more done to the Brazos Cruiser tonight. Started cutting the patterns for the forms out.

I am using 1/2 inch Birch plywood for the forms on this boat. Gluing the patterns down with Super 77 Spray Adhesive.

Boy, I sure am glad there is not one more form on this boat or it would have been tough to fit it on one piece of plywood. :wink:

Rough cutting and sanding the forms.

Getting the bow and stations 1 and two set in place. Only 14 more to go. Then I can start putting the strips on. :D

G-Man
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by G-Man »

Thanks for posting the build. I am curious and very, very tempted to build one. I am learning so much from you guys...

G-Man
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

Got a little more done to the NorthWind tonight. I finished making the stations for the forms to mount on.

Layed all of the pieces in the place to make sure I have everything in it's proper spot.

Pulled another string line down the center and started fastening forms down.

Got all of the forms mounted and just need to do a little tweeking before starting to install strips.

I have not even put the first strip on this boat, but I am already loving her lines.

I am trying to get all that i can done before Nov.29 because I have Knee surgery again and will be laid up for a couple of weeks. Same knee and same problem that I had fixed on Oct.30 of last year.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Your moving on this one, looking good
Ron
G-Man
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by G-Man »

When strip building, I see all the forms that you guys use, but after you remove the boat hull off the form, do yall reinforce(like ribs, maybe?) it somehow other than glassing?

G-Man

Sorry, got the answer after looking at the below post.

http://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/vi ... 1&t=151621" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

This boat seems to be going well. I got started putting some strips on tonight. I am using Western Red Cedar on this one and I really like the way it cuts and sands.

With first strip being the most important I must have messed with them for over an hour on each side before I was happy with them. After those are placed just right it is really pretty easy from there.

JEM

Post by JEM »

Darrell, I noticed one problem that needs immediate correction:

You're out of balance!! You'll need another Bud Light can on the opposite side of the bench. Then maybe some on the back of the table....

:mrgreen:
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

The biggest expense is not the Glass or Epoxy, it's the Bud Lite involved in the building process.
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

:D How long did it take to teach that yellow lab that sujpervises your work to fetch those Bud Lites?? :lol:
G-Man
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by G-Man »

Newbie(thinking about trying) question...

Looks like after the first strip goes on, then the next strip is glued to the previous, and then the the next, and so on... Is this what I'm seeing? And no ribbing, just the strips and glue right? Afterwards the glassing?

Thanks in advance.

G-Man
Dogpaddlin

Post by Dogpaddlin »

Lookin good Darrell! I had considered trying to lay out my forms the way you did, cutting all the templates out of one or two pieces of paper but I was afraid I would not be able to glue them down in the correct shape. Looks like I should have given it a try! :roll:

You and Ron are really trying to build a fleet! You guys already have the Brazos conquered and under your control, no telling what you two can conquer with your machetes and ugly sticks (talking about the fishing rods, not Ron himself :D ) with an entire Navy!
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

G-Man wrote:Newbie(thinking about trying) question...

Looks like after the first strip goes on, then the next strip is glued to the previous, and then the the next, and so on... Is this what I'm seeing? And no ribbing, just the strips and glue right? Afterwards the glassing?

Thanks in advance.

G-Man
Yes...that's what you're seeing. In most cases the strips are stapled to the forms in order to hold them in place while the glue dries. You can browse all the builds on the Boat Builder forum and you can also take a look at my gallery at:
http://www.texaspaddler.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Lots of boat build pictures there.
G-Man
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by G-Man »

Thanks Gerald! Will definitely look into that. Looks lika a fun and relaxing hobby.

G-Man
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

Back from a hunting trip. Time to get busy again.
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

Time for a little update. Sometimes the way you visualize something and the way it looks while doing it are totally different. That is where I have been for the last couple of days. I was using Western Red Cedar on this boat and I could not find any lumber long enough to run the length of the boat, So I was having to make joints. I was not crazy about the idea of seeing a bunch of joints on this boat to begin with and the more strips I put on the less I liked it. Today i made the decision to tear all of the strips off and start over. I went by RedWoods Inc. here in Waco and talked to Greg about what he had that I could use. He could order me A grade Cedar at the length I wanted but it was pretty expensive, but he did have some A Grade Redwood in the lengths that i wanted that were actually cheaper. So I am going to have another RedWood boat. :D

Here is where I was at today.

Here is where I was at about five minutes later.

I already like the RedWood better.

Added a couple of highlight strips this time also.

Back on track now so maybe I will have pics of progress to post.
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

What's the highlight wood???
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

pine
Dogpaddlin

Post by Dogpaddlin »

I feel you on changing directions in mid-stride. I have so many cedar strips in my garage it is not funny. I think I changed my mind 3, maybe 4 times before making a final decision! I think the redwood looks great!
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

As mentioned in the last update I tore all the strips off and started over. I was messing around this afternoon and decided to see just how strong the joints and TiteBond II really are. They are pretty strong.

As always my helper was present.

Got a few more strips layed tonight.

At this point in time the bow and stern strips just run wild. I will trim them to length later.