Boat builders????

redman101

Boat builders????

Post by redman101 »

:o Where's all the boat builders?? I finally built a pirogue, now, I think I am ready to build my own kayak!! I was hoping to see some pics and ideas, but seems like no one is home...........hello? :D
RM101
awoodman

Re: Boat builders????

Post by awoodman »

redman101 wrote::o Where's all the boat builders?? RM101

Lurking in the shadows.. :lol:
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

redman101 wrote::o Where's all the boat builders??
On other forums that I find to be more fun and informative, since you asked.
JEM

Post by JEM »

Still wobbling from Turkey Day!
redman101

Post by redman101 »

:D We can't let this ancient Art of Kayak buiding go down! It's a rite of passage for some of us old salts. Even though I am over 1/2 a century old, dang, that sounds old!! I put "building my own wooden kayak before I go" on my bucket list. I also have, visit "Rio De Jinero" and dance with the half naked girls at "Carnival",,,,but that one may be in another life, :lol: . Ok, first things first, clean out garage and make room for work station. I have a perfectly good week-end coming up, lets see,,,,,first part of the morning,,,,,,,,, I'll play 18 holes of golf. Then,,,a light lunch and take my kayak out and chase some Reds,,,,,depending on level of action, I might be home before dark. See!! There, goes my week-end again! I'm hopeless.................................... :oops:
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

There are a lot of boats in different stages of being built. and rebuilt. Lot of boats have been completed this year,go back and look at some of the outstanding builds posted on here.
There is a lot going on Gerald the Guru of this forum is retiring at the end of next month and building aboat design business and web page with plans and a product store. He has good prices so check it out.He has built more boats than most of us put together.
and the main hangup holidays and epoxy doesnt like cold weather.
Have a question throw it out there someone will help if they can.
Welcome to the addiction
Ron
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Pogo wrote:
redman101 wrote::o Where's all the boat builders??
On other forums that I find to be more fun and informative, since you asked.
Pogo is the resident grinch who is not happy unless he has a wide eyed group of fawning sycophants who totally agree with everything he says or does. If he does find a group that is going well he contributes, ingratiates himself, and then tries to become the big cheese. If that doesn't work he does everything possible to ruin the experience for everybody else. He whines cries,and squalls like a baby when anybody disagrees with him. This is unfortunate because he actually does have some building skill and knowledge that he could pass on to all of us. His actions, comments, and attitude are what caused the demise of the original Texas Kayak Builder's Bash which I started. This lead me to start and sponsor the TKF Boat Builder Forum and the Texas Kayak Builder Roundup. Once again he's doing his best to ruin this group because some people disagree with him, take objection to some of his comments, and he can't be the big cheese. As far as I'm concerned he can stay on the other forums that he finds to be more fun and informative. I may be a cranky old bastard but pogo just isn't worth the trouble to me anymore...

Other than that the TKF Boat Builder Forum is doing fine with lots of interest and projects. Browse the posts and you'll see a good number of fine boats. I am indeed working furiously toward retirement which should really open up a number of nice projects I have on the boards. I appreciate all constructive, informative, and positive comments. Lively discussions are encouraged. Disagreements are fine as long as they don't get personal. I will continue to post pictures, comments, and advice to the best of my ability. Quite a few other people also contribute regularly. Hopefully we'll get past this slow period. If not--take heart--because at least I'll continue to design and build boats. In the unlikely event that the TKF Boat Builder Forum does fall by the wayside I will continue on with my personal websites and photo gallery.

http://www.texaspaddler.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and/or http://www.brazosboatworks.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -- same place now that I've combined them.
redman101

Post by redman101 »

:D Thanks Gerald! :D I will check out your site and hopefully get my kayak built! :D
Rm101
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

You're welcome. And believe me there's a bunch of us out here ready to help out any way we can. Paddling a boat you've built yourself is a blast. I still get a thrill from each new boat.
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Thank you, that explains things perfectly.
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

I'll be back to my build shortly, also. Like Gerald said there is alot of info here. if you can't find your answer by looking just ask.
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

I really do try to avoid the controversial debates and issues but I just can't go past this.

I deal with people all the time. Lots and lots of people. And have done so all my life. As a police officer over a lengthy career, in politics (not elective office) over a lengthy career and as a preacher (hopefully over a lengthy period). I cannot for the life of me understand how anybody can formulate a hatred or dislike for Gerald. He is selfless, always the gentleman and he readily shares his years of experience freely.

I, for one, have fun and get good advice on this forum. Yes I go to other forums and even post there but this is "home."

Probably more than 2 cents but I do give change (or, atleast I know WHO does) :wink:
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

preacher wrote:I cannot for the life of me understand how anybody can formulate a hatred or dislike for Gerald.
Who has a hatred or dislike for Gerald? All I said was I prefer other forums, and so I do. Should be a little more clear as to why that is, now, too. Geeze....
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Who has a hatred or dislike for Gerald? All I said was I prefer other forums, and so I do. Should be a little more clear as to why that is, now, too. Geeze....[/quote]

WHOOOOO
The main reason me and you bumped head was because I gave Gerald a complement on the forum . If I recall correctly you stated you hated Gerald and the fact that he was sponsoring this forum. And like I told you I give complements too who I feel deserves them
Ron
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Pogo wrote:Should be a little more clear as to why that is, now, too. Geeze....
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Redman
What is the main use of the boat you are wanting to build?
Ron
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Shucks fellas....let's just stick to having fun and building boats. One thing I want to do on this site is show that you don't have to be a purist to build boats. It's hard to build a bad boat, but equally hard to build a really good one. However, they all have their purpose and uses. I've always mentioned that the lowly 3 panel boat is the most boat for the money you can build or buy. I love'em.
As for other sites--you bet! There are a lot of good boat building sites. Hopefully I'll add the good ones to the Tips, Tactics, and techniques thread. Just to make sure everyone understands the grand daddy kayak building site is http://www.kayakforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; sponsered by Nick Schade of Guillemot kayaks. The only negative of that site--and it's not really a negative--is that it IS more of a purist kayak building site. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I also believe--as I mentioned--that there is room for all types and methods of boat building.
I encourage all of you to participate, show your builds, pictures, etc.. Come to the Roundup. We're going to have fun!
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Now that's what I'm talking about! Thank you. I'm in complete agreement with you.

> I've always mentioned that the lowly 3 panel boat is the most boat for the money you can build or buy.

For the record, so have I. I caution against flat bottom boats in choppy water, however, but to heck with my opinion -- redman101 built a three-panel a year or more back, and fishes inland bays, so let's hear his experience.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Since your answering for Redman ,what kind of three panel did he build.
Another question have you ever seen a 3 panel Ranger series boat that Gerald designed, have you ever paddled one in the chop ,I know in your vast expertise you are probably the guru on 3 panel boats.
Poor fellow someone disagreed with you.
No one recommended a three panel I think the statement was it is the most boat for the money.
Ron
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Pogo wrote:Thank you, that explains things perfectly.
Actually Gerald did, and did so fairly dispassonately.

I remember Geralds's first builders bash. A new owner had just built his first craft, a nice sit on top. I was among a group admiring his first build of which he was rightly proud and I thought showed good worksmanship for a first. While I had earlier really admired the craft you had on display as I did many of the stripers that day you slipped in my estimation when you sidled up to me and began to soto voice tell me how he had built it of "cheap" luan as opposed to proper okoume in addition to it being heavy, etc. and was not really that great a boat. Bottom line was that by his own admission he was hesitant to use expensive materials on his first effort, but it was a nice build creditable anytime and especially so for a first effort.

I wondered then what you were seeking to do, it certainly was not to give a man credit for his work or encourage him to go on. Bottom line is that you are a bit of a purist (read elitist) who I would compare to the dry fly fisherman who looks down his nose at the spin, baitcaster and streamer fisherman. Much of what you emphasize is true, but hardly applicable across the greater world of paddle craft.
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Once again boys ...... your bait is lame, no bites for you today.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

And once again when the truth gets told you run.
No bait needed you do fine on your own.
Ron
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

No bait, just relating one incident/example of your behavior that over time has caused your stock to slip here. Post like this help you none.

"On other forums that I find to be more fun and informative, since you asked."

"admit to paddling strange things like canoes and composite kayaks, you're gonna freak people out. Well, TKF people, I mean. If it's not a tupperware sit-on-top, or a Native something, then it's an alien commie conspiracy that needs to be silenced, and preferably eradicated. And we DRAG our boats here in Texas, boy."
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Nah, just seems like sitting here bickering is something I should've outgrown in grade school or something, that's all. But hey, if y'all want to run this forum into the ground with this sort of crap, then what the heck, let's do it. I'm stuck here at the house with way too much time on my hands anyway, as I recover from a doc attack. May as well fend off a dog attack now too. :roll:
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

I think this thread says it all , I am going fishing
Ron