Lake Woodlands Cleanup Idea..

jigster

Lake Woodlands Cleanup Idea..

Post by jigster »

There was some mention amongst a couple other TKFer's about a cleanup of the Woodlands Lake, especially near the research forrest bridge. Not just there, but the entire lake in my mind, coves, water, and shoreline. I would like to know if/how many others would be willing to devote a day to cleaning up the lake? I've contacted The Woodlands and am waiting to hear back, but would like to find out if we can get help with garbage disposal at the least, or even advertising. I think there is a very real chance of making a much larger event than just a few caring TKF guys. Let me hear some other ideas, how many of you are willing to help? Any church groups or boy scout groups that need the credit that we can help. If this works out, maybe even make it a regular event for keeping all the local ponds clean. I know that you TKFer's care about this even if the locals causing the mess don't. bring the ideas guys!! I'll update again when/if I hear back from the town. None the less, this should happen even if it takes non profit donations to pay fees for dumping all the garbage that i know we'll collect.
YotaYaker

Re: Lake Woodlands Cleanup Idea..

Post by YotaYaker »

Once we have a date set I can commit for sure but I'm good most weekends starting Feb and running through mid March.

Chris with SWPS if you're out there...any chance we could post a flyer or something at the shop to spread the word? This would help attract other paddlers who are necessarily fishermen. If you're interested in sponsoring the event maybe an email mention in one of your newsletters would be helpful as well. Just a thought...
rabb

Post by rabb »

I'm in. I normally have a trash bucket along on every trip that picks up all strays that i find in the rivers. Been on the coast a few times and had to give up, you can find cans from before people knew what cans were out there. Ha ha. Never been to Woodlands, I'm more prone to it being an event if someone with some cooking skills makes a lunch and we pay them for the groceries.
YotaYaker

Post by YotaYaker »

I like the idea of providing food for everyone since it sounds like may have a decent turn out. I work for a mortgage company up on Lake Conroe and I just spoke with my brokers about this. If we can get something scheduled and maybe post some flyers at various locations around town to help the turnout they would be willing to kick in something to buy pizzas or help with lunch for everyone. Let me know if there's any interest and I'll see what I can do.
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

Contact these folks and see if you can get Lake Woodlands added as an event. I do the clean up at the Baytown Nature Center. Yakke-T on the board here organizes it for the BNC.

http://www.trashbash.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JonesZ

Post by JonesZ »

Might want to invite these folks as well.

http://www.woodlandsrowing.org/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: The Woodlands, TX...TEAM SOUTHWEST, Team Castaway Rods

Post by SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS »

We would love to take part in an event like this. We sponsor the Trash Bash cleanup on Lake Conroe every year. If you have some sort of flyer bring it by and we can post it up. Also once the day is set we will send out an email to everyone on our list. I will see if I can't some things worked out also. If yall need any help contacting The Woodlands let us know and we can go from there. I think this is a great idea and with the combined help of fisherman and paddlers alike we can make a huge impact.

Chris
SWPS
281-292-5600
Dfusion

Post by Dfusion »

Let me know when, and I'm in. I will sponsor beers after the paddle (Southern Star Brewing Conroe, TX). I can also advertise on our website http://www.southernstarbrewing.com
Don't mean to plug product here, just trying to help :shock:
Dave
YotaYaker

Post by YotaYaker »

Great ideas everyone...looks like this is going to shape up to be a big event!
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

Sounds like a good deal, let me know when and I'll try my best to be there! I've been wanting to get out on Lake Woodlands and it'l be a good opportunity to help in a good cause and get a little scouting in too!
jigster

Post by jigster »

awsome deals. my big question for everyone is when. would more people be willing to show if it's closer to "spring", and by that I mean after the warm/cold weather spells, when planning for a decent day would be more predictable? or does it matter? I do like the idea of grilling up some food and all too. I suppose a few sponsors for this wouldn't be bad, such as HEB or whoever that might donate some hot dogs or something. I guess I'm looking for more input since i've never taken on a task like this before. I do like what I've heard and have some thoughts.
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

that_guy83 wrote:awsome deals. my big question for everyone is when. would more people be willing to show if it's closer to "spring", and by that I mean after the warm/cold weather spells, when planning for a decent day would be more predictable? or does it matter? I do like the idea of grilling up some food and all too. I suppose a few sponsors for this wouldn't be bad, such as HEB or whoever that might donate some hot dogs or something. I guess I'm looking for more input since i've never taken on a task like this before. I do like what I've heard and have some thoughts.
There would probably be a better turnout when the weather's a little warmer!
rabb

Post by rabb »

haha, it did get pretty big pretty quick!

I'll give a little advice now that you are a self-appointed event coordinator!

Aim far out, because people that wanted to sponsor need time usually to organize the papers on a donation if they do it that way. Then, browse a few "local event" webpages (Woodlands has one) and make sure you aren't clashing terribly with some other area event, so that you will have a better chance of getting people to volunteer. I'd say March is good weather (usually) and just stay away from Spring Break.
YotaYaker

Post by YotaYaker »

I personally have seen very few rec paddlers out in my last couple trips to Lake Woodlands. I've braved the temps wearing waders but I know this isn't the norm. I think if we can hold off until March/April we can get more rec paddlers and Woodlands residents to take part instead of it being just the die-hards. This would not only help with the clean up efforts but also introduce more people to TKF and possibly other paddling clubs.
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

CRL wrote:I personally have seen very few rec paddlers out in my last couple trips to Lake Woodlands. I've braved the temps wearing waders but I know this isn't the norm. I think if we can hold off until March/April we can get more rec paddlers and Woodlands residents to take part instead of it being just the die-hards. This would not only help with the clean up efforts but also introduce more people to TKF and possibly other paddling clubs.
Warmer temps also means people would be more inclined to "get their feet wet" for trash in the water.
whatwake
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by whatwake »

I'm interested and I think I can get a few guys from the Legacy Outfitters kayak fishing group to help out
txwookie

Post by txwookie »

I am willing and can get a small handful of others on board depending on the date. Its a great idea. It is pretty bad in areas.
tbeak

Post by tbeak »

I'd help. I like it a little warmer myself.
kherrick

Post by kherrick »

Check out the Earth Day GreenUp 2011 in The Woodlands Township Saturday, April 16!
http://www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov/ ... px?NID=238" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We can work together to make this happen! This will be one of many areas targeted throughout the community.
scenicgreenrr

Post by scenicgreenrr »

Well since it was my post that started this, I'll bring out the entire family. the April date seems good since my knees wouldn't be frozen.