Baytown nature center?

longhorn

Baytown nature center?

Post by longhorn »

Just wanting to find out some fishing info for this area. Im planning to try this spot out for the first time. Any advice?
cliftonio

Re: Baytown nature center?

Post by cliftonio »

I'd be interested also in any recent news, much closer than my usual spots.

Hopefully later this month I get some time free to check it out.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Fish the power lines to the entrance of Burnett Bay. Reds and trout are there. Might be a good place in very cold weather. The water is deep and should be warmer so the trout should be stacked up there when the water nearby is shallow and cold.
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

I live across Burnett Bay from the BNC. Haven't fished it in about 3 months but lots of old piers to hunt around as well as some islands that separate Crystal Bay from the Ship Channel are pretty decent. Close to the power-line towers on the Burnet side has a trench that runs through I've caught black drum. Chief Brody really knows the area well.
longhorn

Post by longhorn »

Thanks guys, I guess this time of year deeper is better. I didnt really know the depths around there.
Puckett

Post by Puckett »

Myself and Fin-Addict are trying there tomorrow morning if interested?
longhorn

Post by longhorn »

Man I wish I could, that was the plan until last night. I'm gonna try next Saturday. Let me know how yall do! Good luck! Are yall fishing Burnett bay?
Puckett

Post by Puckett »

Thats the plan, hopefully we will have a fishing report :?:
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

Puckett wrote:Myself and Fin-Addict are trying there tomorrow morning if interested?
I'll be a maybe on that.
Fin-Addict
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Fin-Addict »

Yup, open invitation whoever's down
~jkilgore~

Post by ~jkilgore~ »

I am a maybe! Do you know where you will be launching? Doesn't look like there is a lot of parking.
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

Fin-Addict wrote:Yup, open invitation whoever's down
Guys have a time? I usually launch from where the road splits between Crystal Bay and Burnett Bay. Great Launch Site. If I'm fishing Burnett and the powerline area I go all the wat to the pier and launch next to it.
Puckett

Post by Puckett »

Deacon wrote:
Fin-Addict wrote:Yup, open invitation whoever's down
Guys have a time? I usually launch from where the road splits between Crystal Bay and Burnett Bay. Great Launch Site. If I'm fishing Burnett and the powerline area I go all the wat to the pier and launch next to it.

Yea around 7ish.
~jkilgore~

Post by ~jkilgore~ »

Looks like I've been granted a hall-pass from the wife and will try to be there at sun up. I guess live bait is out of the question for me due to no nearby bait shops. Anyone have any suggestions or will arties have to do?
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

~jkilgore~ wrote:Looks like I've been granted a hall-pass from the wife and will try to be there at sun up. I guess live bait is out of the question for me due to no nearby bait shops. Anyone have any suggestions or will arties have to do?
Cast net works, gulp, Thompson's Bait Camp, Jordan's Bait.
~jkilgore~

Post by ~jkilgore~ »

Deacon wrote:
~jkilgore~ wrote:Looks like I've been granted a hall-pass from the wife and will try to be there at sun up. I guess live bait is out of the question for me due to no nearby bait shops. Anyone have any suggestions or will arties have to do?
Thanks Deacon, I don't own a cast net so I'll probably settle with arties.
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

~jkilgore~ wrote:I am a maybe! Do you know where you will be launching? Doesn't look like there is a lot of parking.
usually there is plenty of parking there. Also be aware if you haven't been before there is a nominal charge to get in - I should know how much but I don't - three bucks a person I think.

I have a teenager home tonight and tomorrow - need to consult with her on the numerical odds of her wanting to wake up and go get in cold freaking water at oh-dark-thirty with dad - odds are probably pretty slim. However,

I will make the attempt and may see you guys out there. If it was me chasing fish in this cold of water I would put in on the Burnett Bay side if the wind is out of the north - only because it will push you back in later - a good thing at my age - and fish the power lines in as deep of water as you can find. Watch for birds (duh!) - they have been spotted in the winter...

Be aware though that fish will hold in Crystal Bay too.

Don't know about shrimp - best place to try and catch some will be near the slew in Crystal -

if I am there it's a yellow manta - may be with my daughter in Yakke-T's blue boat.

if not - good luck to all and post up something good!
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

Deacon wrote:
it's a little out of the way but the bait camp at Sylvan in La Porte is flying the white flag.

if artificials, I have had pretty good success with spec rigs out there.
~jkilgore~

Post by ~jkilgore~ »

Chief Brody wrote:
~jkilgore~ wrote:I am a maybe! Do you know where you will be launching? Doesn't look like there is a lot of parking.
usually there is plenty of parking there. Also be aware if you haven't been before there is a nominal charge to get in - I should know how much but I don't - three bucks a person I think.

I have a teenager home tonight and tomorrow - need to consult with her on the numerical odds of her wanting to wake up and go get in cold freaking water at oh-dark-thirty with dad - odds are probably pretty slim. However,

I will make the attempt and may see you guys out there. If it was me chasing fish in this cold of water I would put in on the Burnett Bay side if the wind is out of the north - only because it will push you back in later - a good thing at my age - and fish the power lines in as deep of water as you can find. Watch for birds (duh!) - they have been spotted in the winter...

Be aware though that fish will hold in Crystal Bay too.

Don't know about shrimp - best place to try and catch some will be near the slew in Crystal -

if I am there it's a yellow manta - may be with my daughter in Yakke-T's blue boat.

if not - good luck to all and post up something good!
Thanks for the info!
Terry G.

Post by Terry G. »

hay Chief , just jumped in to say hi, how ya doing, long time no talk.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Just to make sure you guys make a fishing report. I won't be yak fishing and crabbing the BNC until around the 1st of April. I hate cold weather and cold water.
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

Night Wing wrote:Just to make sure you guys make a fishing report. I won't be yak fishing and crabbing the BNC until around the 1st of April. I hate cold weather and cold water.
Well, I loaded up last night. Yak on top of the Tahoe, checked all my gear and loaded that. Something in the back of my head said, " self... Don't be a dumba$$ make sure you have your
license." So I made sure it was in my dry pouch. EXPIRED! Holy crap :shock: the only place a game warden has checked me in the last 15 years has been at the BNC.
Feel a bit sheepish for letting that slip past me.
Let us hear how you guys did.
~jkilgore~

Post by ~jkilgore~ »

Threw everything I had and couldn't buy a bite, Puckett had 3-4 bumps, and Fin-Addict caught one 22" red on a gulp shrimp (not sure what color). PB folks were catching all around us. Maybe next time!
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

Terry G. wrote:hay Chief , just jumped in to say hi, how ya doing, long time no talk.
agreed - hi to you to Terry, and pass on a howdy to your lovely bride for me. I imagine you guys are waiting for the cold to pass so you can back out for the fish.

don't forget to make a trip to the wetlands center one day for a visit - Tracey would be really happy to meet the guy that created her birthday present. I'm sure she would give both of you the grand tour.
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

~jkilgore~ wrote:Threw everything I had and couldn't buy a bite, Puckett had 3-4 bumps, and Fin-Addict caught one 22" red on a gulp shrimp (not sure what color). PB folks were catching all around us. Maybe next time!
were you guys under the power lines?

and why were the pb guys catching? That's odd - we need to fix that!