Post by Night Wing »

Glad to see you guys posted up.
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Baytown nature center?

Post by Chief Brody »

Deacon wrote:
Night Wing wrote:Just to make sure you guys make a fishing report. I won't be yak fishing and crabbing the BNC until around the 1st of April. I hate cold weather and cold water.
Well, I loaded up last night. Yak on top of the Tahoe, checked all my gear and loaded that. Something in the back of my head said, " self... Don't be a dumba$$ make sure you have your
license." So I made sure it was in my dry pouch. EXPIRED! Holy crap :shock: the only place a game warden has checked me in the last 15 years has been at the BNC.
Feel a bit sheepish for letting that slip past me.
Let us hear how you guys did.
I am going to go ahead and use my one vote of 2011 for 'fish story' of the year on this tall tale. I haven't heard an excuse for oversleeping this elaborate since Seaman Davis told me "Chief, when we crossed the International Date Line yesterday I thought that meant today was Sunday and I didn't have to muster at 0700"! His excuse is he was young and from Arkansas - Deacon???
Fin-Addict
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Fin-Addict »

Correction

I had the few bumps and Puckett landed the red which he gave to me because he had to leave earlier than expected

Thanks for posting up the report jkilgore. Not much to be said anyways
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

Fin-Addict wrote:Correction

I had the few bumps and Puckett landed the red which he gave to me because he had to leave earlier than expected

Nope, didn't over sleep. Just forgot to check my renewal date.
Puckett

Post by Puckett »

Fin-Addict wrote:Correction

Thanks for the trip guys, note to self no fishing when your on call, I thought for sure we would have done better with the conditions.
Puckett

Post by Puckett »

No much of a report but did manage one red before the second home called,(work).
22in red
22in red
Photo01511.jpg (37.75 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

Puckett wrote:No much of a report but did manage one red before the second home called,(work).
Photo01511.jpg
Very nice.
1alextorres
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Pasadena, Texas 77502 and any where my kayaks can go.

Post by 1alextorres »

~jkilgore~ wrote:Threw everything I had and couldn't buy a bite, Puckett had 3-4 bumps, and Fin-Addict caught one 22" red on a gulp shrimp (not sure what color). PB folks were catching all around us. Maybe next time!
I saw you guys out there in the yaks that day. I was in the Blazer Bay SS with my son and father-in-law over by the channel entrance next to the White Mansion. You will find reds around the tree branches that are sticking out of the water in the corner of the bay. I caught me one on a drift (21.5" red) on a Bugz Lure and my son caught his 22.5" red on live shrimp. We have always found reds in that corner, so check it out next time. The highlight of the day was when I caught an 8lb Sheephead right where the color change was going toward the shell flat by where you guys were. I would like to take the my kayak out there one of these days, but I really do not know were to launch from. I did see some waders by the road that leads from the ferry landing. Is it accessible from there? Also a few trout where caught in the same area about 50 yards from the branches that stick out of the water.
Fin-Addict
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Fin-Addict »

1alextorres -

Just launch from the Nature Center. It's only $3 and you don't have to worry about your vehicle. Give me a shout and we'll hook up next time
kingfish
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by kingfish »

That area is close for me also and I have fished there on one occasion and I really liked it. Is it too polluted to eat the fish from there? I often catch and release, but I do like to keep a few to eat if I have some nice trout, reds or flounder.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

If I catch legal sized fish from the waters surrounding the BNC, I eat them.
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

kingfish wrote:That area is close for me also and I have fished there on one occasion and I really liked it. Is it too polluted to eat the fish from there? I often catch and release, but I do like to keep a few to eat if I have some nice trout, reds or flounder.
it's a topic that comes up from time to time - all I can say for sure is that there is a consumption warning for trout caught in Galveston Bay - all of Galveston Bay - recommended limit of so many ounces per month. I've been eating trout out of that area for a few years - I think they are fine.
Puckett

Post by Puckett »

Night Wing wrote:If I catch legal sized fish from the waters surrounding the BNC, I eat them.

X2...
toyradio

Post by toyradio »

We fish BNC all the time, aint dead yet...I dont think. Went out last week but wind was too high. May try to hit it Sunday if the wind down enough to put the canoe in the water.