Fish fry mix ????

lamar

Fish fry mix ????

Post by lamar »

What do you use to fry your fish ? I have been using seasoned corn meal forever. but would like to try
something differant.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Re: Fish fry mix ????

Post by Mythman »

I have used Louisiana Fish Fry and Zatarain's, purchased out of the grocery.............I don't guess I have a favorite.
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

Mine is 2 part: Dry stuff..fish fry dry batter from the store, low sodium. Some have so much salt in them your fish will taste REAL salty. Mix in some garlic powder, cayenne pepper, lemon pepper, 1 cup yellow corn meal. Wet stuff.. 1 beer (minus 1 sip) 2 eggs, 5 slugs of Tabasco sauce, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, lemon pepper, 16 oz. yellow mustard, whisk it up. Dip your fillets in wet mix, then in dry, for a really crispy crust, dip in wet, dry, wet, dry. Fry at 350° - 375° til just past golden brown. Perfect fried fish.
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

lamar wrote:What do you use to fry your fish ? I have been using seasoned corn meal forever. but would like to try
something differant.
Dry Wet

White Flour Eggs
Garlic Powder Salt
Mustard Powder Pepper
Granulated Chicken Bouillon Splash of Milk
Accent
Onion Powder

Dry, Wet, Dry, Wet

Now here's the real secret. You're FRYING Fish. You have many things you can fry it in. My recommendation is Lard, Manteca, Pig Fat. Lard puts flavor in food. There is also an old saying. Hotter than fish grease. If you fry too long it can really soak up the grease. And many oils can loose their viscosity to fry real quick at higher temps. So your oil needs to be in that 375 or higher range.

Now... anone want to talk Corn Bread?
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Mythman wrote:I have used Louisiana Fish Fry and Zatarain's, purchased out of the grocery.............I don't guess I have a favorite.
x2 in both brands.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

From my brother's recipe, try mixing in some crushed pecans, gives it a little sweeter taste. But, to really have the best flavor, nothing like fresh caught fish, not frozen.
Also, if you are going to keep the fish, don't put them away on ice without gutting it first, gills included.
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

1/2 cornmeal and 1/2 ap flour
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Grew up on cornmeal mixed with some flour. Was commenting to a friend who owns a very good seafood restaurant about how good his fried fish and shrimp were and asked him what % of cornmeal he used. He looked at me like I was from Mars and said, "I don't use any corn meal. Never have and neither did my father. We use cracker meal with a ittle bit of spices and that's about it." He went on to add that he only uses corn meal on fried oysters. His recipe for fried shrimp or fish:

- lightly dredge fillets in flour
- dip in a mixture of egg plus 1 tablespoon of water per egg
- place in a big bowl of cracker meal (I add Cajun seasoning or salt/pepper) and toss around until coated - do not press crumbs onto fillets
- fry until golden brown

To this process, for fried shrimp, between the flour dredging and the egg dip, I lightly sprinkle on garlic powder (got that from my sister).
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

Yaklash wrote:Grew up on cornmeal mixed with some flour. Was commenting to a friend who owns a very good seafood restaurant about how good his fried fish and shrimp were and asked him what % of cornmeal he used. He looked at me like I was from Mars and said, "I don't use any corn meal. Never have and neither did my father. We use cracker meal with a ittle bit of spices and that's about it." He went on to add that he only uses corn meal on fried oysters. His recipe for fried shrimp or fish:

- lightly dredge fillets in flour
- dip in a mixture of egg plus 1 tablespoon of water per egg
- place in a big bowl of cracker meal (I add Cajun seasoning or salt/pepper) and toss around until coated - do not press crumbs onto fillets
- fry until golden brown

To this process, for fried shrimp, between the flour dredging and the egg dip, I lightly sprinkle on garlic powder (got that from my sister).
Cracker meal.. that sounds good. Going to try that one.
texan4ut
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by texan4ut »

Here is mine.
1 Bottle (32oz) Louisiana Hot Sauce not Tobasco Sauce
3 eggs
1 can of beer
mix these together and soak fish fillets 3-4 hours the longer the better.

I then mix 2 parts corn meal to 1 part flour. Season to taste with pepper and cajun seasonings.

Dredge fillets in the dry stuff and fry.
Kingz
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Kingz »

50/50 mix of italian bread crumbs and Zatarains Fish Fry, what we dont use we'll freeze till the next time...
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

George, I love cold fried Trout and garter sauce.
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

I like the Louisiana Seasoned Fish Fry. It is too salty, so I just cut it with 50% corn meal which makes it cheaper too. Good for fish and oysters.

I will do a homemade beer batter for trout/flounder fillets too sometimes.
toyakornottoyak

Post by toyakornottoyak »

Try Kikomans Japanese style Panko bread crumbs, mix favorite seasoning, and follow BOX,yes box,directions!

The other is the tried and true cornmeal/flour mix...
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

Tries something new last week. Took some Garlic Croutons and blended them to a powder and used that instead of flour or cornmeal. Fan fried in a lime infused olive oil. Pretty tasty.
spiny norman
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by spiny norman »

Mythman wrote:I have used Louisiana Fish Fry ............
+1

Sometimes add in some panko for extra crunch!
Miitch

Post by Miitch »

I'm sure most of ya'll have tried it but "Krazy Mixed Up Salt" is the shiz sprinkled over fresh fried fish or deer tenderloin. Whatever batter u use. It's in they spice area at most markets. Kroger for sure. They also make a KMU Pepper. Im not as fond of it though.
jacksonrh64

Post by jacksonrh64 »

I like Southern Star mixed 60 percent Southern Star mix and 40 percent Quakers Yellow Corn meal. If you don't like spicy use a 50/50 mix ( I don't think the 60/40 is spicy but have friends that think it is). I get my Southern Star at Krogers or Brookshires Super Markets. It is usally on an end isle back by the meat dept. It is in a white Bag and is packaged by an older couple. I have never seen it displayed with the commercial fish fries. Put what you don't use in the freezer.

Jack
tguff

Post by tguff »

For a large fish fry: 2lb. bag yellow corn meal, 1-cup all purpose flour, 1-4oz. bottle of Morton's Nature's Seasoning. (some like mustard smeared on fillets before breading)
Bankshot

Post by Bankshot »

Dip in Louisiana hot sauce dredge in corn flour. Fry hot. Great for Kingfish.
broken skeg

Post by broken skeg »

I've fried hundreds of pounds of fish for family and friends and also several large benefits. The best I've found is 1 part flour, 3 parts cornmeal, and tony's(to taste but if I use 1 cup of flour then I use 1/2 cup tony's), salt. Must have a thermometer. Get oil to 375 and keep it there. Soak fish in water before battering. I usually fry 1 piece while oil is getting hot to taste batter. Do not take fish out to soon- soggy fish. I have big aluminum pans that have wire trays in the bottom that I spread the fish out on when I take the out of the oil- this is important to keep fish from getting soggy also. The fish will steam so do not cover or again you will have soggy fried fish. You could also hold off on the salt until after frying. For ultimate frying get a Cajun fryer. Very expensive but it keeps the oil from burning.
rugby

Post by rugby »

i did not see this listed yet. a friend of mine said to try inst patato mixed with a little tonys. it came out reall good when i did it.

brandon
patioshaters

Post by patioshaters »

Flour, for ultra crisp leaves, and after cooked lemon and you miss him ready.
You can cook the fish baked or broiled but personally I think is the tastiest fried.

Patio heaters
broken skeg

Post by broken skeg »

patioshaters wrote:Flour, for ultra crisp leaves, and after cooked lemon and you miss him ready.
You can cook the fish baked or broiled but personally I think is the tastiest fried.

Patio heaters
Wtf? :roll:
hogredxtc

Post by hogredxtc »

Dry: 1/2 cup flour
1 box Jiffy corm bread mix
2 cups corn flakes ground in blender
salt, pepper, garlic, and Tony's all to taste

Wet: 2 eggs beaten
1 cup cold milk
3/4 cold beer
(add a lot more black pepper to the wet)

Dip in the wet, dredge through the dry and fry, fry, fry.