VIDEO- BUDGET WAYS TO SAIL HOME AFTER LONG YAK TRIP

saltlick
Location: san antonio (by lake medina) PRO ANGLER,old scuppers

VIDEO- BUDGET WAYS TO SAIL HOME AFTER LONG YAK TRIP

Post by saltlick »

YAK'N TEXAS- kayak fishing chat on video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PTtlueiYtg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Deacon

Re: VIDEO- BUDGET WAYS TO SAIL HOME AFTER LONG YAK TRIP

Post by Deacon »

I use an airfoil Kite.

http://www.amazon.com/Flow-Form-Airfoil ... B001RQ04WK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
junkyard chihuahua
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by junkyard chihuahua »

can you launch a kite like that from the seat of a kayak? That could be ideal for sailing. I've been saving my pennies and stocking away ideas for a sail system... I like that one!
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

junkyard dawg wrote:can you launch a kite like that from the seat of a kayak? That could be ideal for sailing. I've been saving my pennies and stocking away ideas for a sail system... I like that one!
The para foils don't use any rods. Its just pockets of nylon fabric. So it's like putting several windsocks together. All rolls up into a small bag. They fly real easy.
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

With a kite you can only go where the wind blows the kite. With something like an umbrella and a rudder you have a little more control of where you go. Academy sells an umbrella that 60" and it's rated for 50 MPH winds with a life time warranty. With my Hobie Quest and a nice wind I have gone from Mud Island and SLP to Ernie's at 6 mph, which is top speed without tons more power for the hull, with almost no paddling. Nice thing about an umbrella is when the wind is gusting and you are cutting a steep angle to it you can easily "dump" the sail to keep from going sunny side down. Leaning gets a little of the hull out of the water and you can gain a little speed but it's hard to measure cause it's more of a balancing act than sailing. And you mirage drive owners, screw buying a sail kit for 300 bucks, get an umbrella and see if that what you would like. And for around 30 bucks you can get a 64" umbrella that's rated for 70 mph, without folding, at Wacky Mart.

Oh, and rumor has it that it can protect you from the sun and rain, haven't figured out that one yet. :wink:
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

OrangeQuest wrote:With a kite you can only go where the wind blows the kite. With something like an umbrella and a rudder you have a little more control of where you go. Academy sells an umbrella that 60" and it's rated for 50 MPH winds with a life time warranty. With my Hobie Quest and a nice wind I have gone from Mud Island and SLP to Ernie's at 6 mph, which is top speed without tons more power for the hull, with almost no paddling. Nice thing about an umbrella is when the wind is gusting and you are cutting a steep angle to it you can easily "dump" the sail to keep from going sunny side down. Leaning gets a little of the hull out of the water and you can gain a little speed but it's hard to measure cause it's more of a balancing act than sailing. And you mirage drive owners, screw buying a sail kit for 300 bucks, get an umbrella and see if that what you would like. And for around 30 bucks you can get a 64" umbrella that's rated for 70 mph, without folding, at Wacky Mart.

Oh, and rumor has it that it can protect you from the sun and rain, haven't figured out that one yet. :wink:
I have the kite and use my paddle as a rudder. I've been an avid kite flyer for years and have seen people use them for all kinds of things. I have used an umbrella before. I have one that clips to my crate. Works great for shorter trips.

http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/artic ... iling.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
promark03

Post by promark03 »

Thanks for posting this. I guess it never crossed my mind that I could bring an umbrella with me on the kayak and ride the wind.
24Buds

Post by 24Buds »

Very cool idea. A simple umbrella.
saltlick
Location: san antonio (by lake medina) PRO ANGLER,old scuppers

Post by saltlick »

wow... some killer ideas....great reply's ... thanks, ty
http://www.30milesout.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (fish'n Tv)
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

I too used to use an umbrella and also a windshield sunshade which I think is the most cost effective .. I also used to use the shade while rollerblading on the seawall 8)

This is my PacificAction sail that I special ordered in early ’07 (note 2 clear panels) .. it works great especially with the two side boards utilizing RAM mounts which allows a Beat. Lately it is used primarily on my 17’ Eclipse Expedition sink

I also have a WindPaddle sail which I use on both the P140 and FnD …… just don’t let it open in the SURF zone is all I will say here.

I had to sell my Adventure Island

Point is Sailing a Yak can be FUN and as earlier stated doesn’t have to cost much …. I highly recommend the windshield shade method to start. I have lots of neat kites (1..2..and 4 line) but they can be a pain from a kayak …. What works best is what is Simple when you’re on the water.