Easy to make kayak light

Q400driver

Easy to make kayak light

Post by Q400driver »

After christmas there seemed to be a lot of the cheap LED harbor freight flashlights laying around the house, and the cold weather and my boredom have put them to use.
IMAG0119.jpg
All I did was cut a hole in a ping pong ball and superglue/ silicone it to the flashight. After that, just zip tie it to a scrap piece of PVC pipe and you have a very bright (and cheap!) fishing light.
IMAG0116.jpg
I got the idea after buying an orange coast guard approved light from academy, that isnt very bright at all. The kayak version of this light costs about $40.00 at academy, and the personal size costs about $10.00.
I just drop my homemade light in my rocket launcher and off I go!
IMAG0117.jpg
Feel free to use this idea, or modify it as necessary.
Puckett

Re: Easy to make kayak light

Post by Puckett »

Nice :clap:
elementfiftyfour

Post by elementfiftyfour »

I bet you could find a piece of PVC pipe with the female end and just drop the flash light in the top without even having to zip tie it in place. Maybe a rubber o-ring around the flashlight that would help to wedge it into the pipe so it doesn't pop out. I think I might play with this idea tonight.
txwookie

Post by txwookie »

Watch the "impulse" isles at home depot and lowes and you can find a five pack of those flashlights for around 10 bucks. I have picked up several packs over the past couple of years for my kids. I have them lying all over my house. Great Idea.
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

Right now tractor supply has 10 pks of those things for $10
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Great idea. I think I have 3 or 4 hanging around the house.
elementfiftyfour

Post by elementfiftyfour »

Here is mine, thanks for the great idea. I stopped at Lowe's after work and picked up a length of PVC pipe, an adapter and a packet of O-rings. I had the flashlight and the pingpong balls around the house. All in all it cost me less than $5.00.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/e ... eflectors/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by elementfiftyfour on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigun
Location: Vidor,TX...FTU Pro Staff...Native Watercraft Pro Staff

Post by bigun »

if you watch the harbor frieght adds they will have a coupon that you can get one of those light for free, I have several.
smellyhands
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by smellyhands »

Dude! That is the perfect solution! Thank you
TexanAggie

Post by TexanAggie »

take a heat gun and warm the PVC pipe up and work the flashlight in the pipe and it will mold and then dry so well it will not come out ,,,,,,, G-man told me about that one ,,,,,,,, I used the orange light but i like your idea

look for the white PVC a little smaller than the flashlight works great and looks pretty good

Q400driver wrote:After christmas there seemed to be a lot of the cheap LED harbor freight flashlights laying around the house, and the cold weather and my boredom have put them to use.
IMAG0119.jpg
All I did was cut a hole in a ping pong ball and superglue/ silicone it to the flashight. After that, just zip tie it to a scrap piece of PVC pipe and you have a very bright (and cheap!) fishing light.
IMAG0116.jpg
I got the idea after buying an orange coast guard approved light from academy, that isnt very bright at all. The kayak version of this light costs about $40.00 at academy, and the personal size costs about $10.00.
IMAG0117.jpg
4x4kayak2112
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by 4x4kayak2112 »

There coupons floating around for FREE flashlight.....my 2 year old has about 10 of them in his toy box :lol:
bigun
Location: Vidor,TX...FTU Pro Staff...Native Watercraft Pro Staff

Post by bigun »

can't stick it in a pipe the button is on the end of the flash light
daveg99
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by daveg99 »

bigun wrote:can't stick it in a pipe the button is on the end of the flash light
and how would you change the batteries.
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

Very nice. You know, sometimes I wonder if there will ever be an email that runs the internet about kayak customization like the redneck emails. Where you have A/C units sticking out of car windows, etc. :lol:
Q400driver

Post by Q400driver »

Deacon wrote:Very nice. You know, sometimes I wonder if there will ever be an email that runs the internet about kayak customization like the redneck emails. Where you have A/C units sticking out of car windows, etc. :lol:
with everybodys pics of trailers, rigs, and homemade stuff, it wouldnt be hard to make an email like that!
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

Q400driver wrote: with everybodys pics of trailers, rigs, and homemade stuff, it wouldnt be hard to make an email like that!
I can just see some river rat in a kayak with an a/c unit on top of their crate with an extension cord running to shore. :lol: Ok, that's good enough to fake that shot. :wink:
SurfFishLife

Post by SurfFishLife »

I didn't think about using a ping-pong ball. That's a great idea. I used one of those travel-size squeeze bottles you can get at Target or Walmart for about $0.99. Cut out a hole so I could slip it over the flashlight, and used electrical tape to secure it to the PVC. I carved a piece od pool noodle that would slide over the PVC and then slide into a scupper hole, but now I just stick it in my flush mount rodholder behind my seat.
eightweight

Post by eightweight »

Nice. Very nice.

I was so frustrated with the Scotty Sea Light, what a waste of money. I wouldn't be surprised, in a few months, to see a Scotty version on the shelf for $40.

Ping-pong balls . . .

thanks
Guitlucky

Post by Guitlucky »

Q400driver wrote:After christmas there seemed to be a lot of the cheap LED harbor freight flashlights laying around the house, and the cold weather and my boredom have put them to use.
IMAG0119.jpg
IMAG0116.jpg
IMAG0117.jpg
I just did something similar to this, but I used a plastic case from a router bit. Its clear plastic, bit its very bright. I was just curious, being home made, these lights are still considered "legal" right? I like making things as opposed to buying, but I want to stay out of trouble as well.
Just wondering, because the weather is looking almost good enough to test it out this week.
G-Man
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by G-Man »

I use the below:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/mag-instrum ... ies-a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(can't find the one that fits the AA at the moment, but yall get the idea)

Stick it on my AA Maglite, then into the fitted PVC and off I go. I heated the end of the PVC pipe so it'll fit the bottom of my AA Maglite.

G-Man
Q400driver

Post by Q400driver »

Deacon wrote:
Q400driver wrote: with everybodys pics of trailers, rigs, and homemade stuff, it wouldnt be hard to make an email like that!
I can just see some river rat in a kayak with an a/c unit on top of their crate with an extension cord running to shore. :lol: Ok, that's good enough to fake that shot. :wink:
redneck-pool-party.jpg
I couldnt help myself!
Attachments
fail-owned-best-failboat-ever-fail.jpg
fail-owned-best-failboat-ever-fail.jpg (35.05 KiB) Viewed 5799 times
jlai92

Post by jlai92 »

you could also buy a screw on cap for the pvc pipe. you would glue the flash light and ping pong ball to the cap and then thread it on the pvc pipe. leaving the flashlight concealed and giving it a cleaner look. and when you wanna turn it off just un screw it and click it off then screw it back on. this seems to be a good was to keep it looking good and avoiding water to splash on it. or something
notquiteflotsam

Post by notquiteflotsam »

Made myself one of these lights this weekend with a 2/2.99 flashlight at HF and ping pong balls 6/2.00 at academy. holy smokes what a cheap and novel alternative. thanks for the idea!
Armada de Plastico

Post by Armada de Plastico »

Me & a buddy were fishin on a pier one night and he dropped one of those cheap LED flashlights and it fell into the saltwater about 6' deep under the pier and it stayed on all night. Pretty cool underwater light, it was attracting all kinds of bait fish too. :lol: . So point of the story, I dont think u need to worry about those cheap LED lights gettin a little wet.
captMATT

Post by captMATT »

i picked up one of these bad boys and slotted out some 1/2 pvc, painted it black and wah-lah.....bad ass light.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/coast-dual- ... 533-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;