Xmas Bay report 05/12

cj6530

Xmas Bay report 05/12

Post by cj6530 »

I fished xmas bay today from 3pm till 7pm (First Kayak trip and first trip to Xmas bay). Nice evening with no wind and no fish. I put in at at the old bait shop launch and fished the east and north shoreline. I tossed topwater, spoons and plastics. I am new to Texas (live in Houston), Kayak fishing, and have only fished for redfish/trout a few times so I am not surprised I didn't catch anything. Seems like everyone was using bait. Maybe I should learn how to fish with bait for my next trip. Kinda useless fishing report but I just wanted to say hi as I signed up to this forum in hopes of learning how to fish the gulf coast for redfish and trout.
dr.flatfish

Re: Xmas Bay report 05/12

Post by dr.flatfish »

Cj, welcome aboard the addiction, we all have had skunk days you just have to keep after it until you find what works for you. I'm still looking :oops: you are more than welcome to join up when you see one of us posting a trip, I all ways enjoy company. dr.flatfish
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Christmas bay is a pretty bay but not always productive. You might try the other end and fish around Acadia reef. Keep on trying topwaters, eventually you will have a day that it works. Nothing better than a big fish blowing up on your lure.
bmart72

Post by bmart72 »

A lot of your success at Christmas depends on what the tide is doing. No tide movement usually equals no fish. I like to fish the incoming tide at Christmas. We'll work the point from Churchill Bayou along the flat about 75-100 yards out from the bank up to the first cut that goes back into the marsh. This time of year we catch a lot of redfish using gulp plastics on 1/8th oz jighead, I think the incoming tide pushes bait out across the flat. Our favorite colors are chartruese pepper neon, glow chartruese or new penny. We'll make a drift and usually pick up a red or two, then paddle back and start it over. You can also fish the shallow water in the marsh areas, keying in on bait activity along the grassy shorelines. Look for schools of small baitfish or shrimp jumping out of the water, you can bet there's a hungry redfish giving chase.

The north shoreline of christmas can be productive for trout and reds during certain times of the year. We key on the grassy shorelines and throw topwaters early them move out deeper with plastics as the day warms up.

The area to the west of the launch (old Ernies bait camp) is good too. There are some rolling guts along the shoreline and the last time i was there there was a fair amount of grass on the bottom.
cj6530

Post by cj6530 »

thanks for all the tips. Whats the minimum tide movement that is considered ideal? Half a foot.....one foot? I also think I really need to learn Kayak organization. I used a typical tackle bag but it was really annoying reaching back trying to open zipper pockets. I ended up with a lap full of tackle by the end of the day. I noticed on this forum that most use a milk crate loaded with tackle trays. I think I will try that next time. My Kayak is a 14 ft Manta Ray.