Update on surgery for Boar's baby

Mrs Backlasher
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Update on surgery for Boar's baby

Post by Mrs Backlasher »

Boar (Marty) usually posts on the Freshwater forum or the Fly Tying forum, but I think lots of folks who post here probably know him. I want everyone to be aware that Boar's baby Riley (1st birthday was Dec. 12) will undergo surgery on January 18 to open his skull and make room for his brain to grow.

I know most all of us would want prayer if this was our baby.

Here's the information I posted on the Freshwater forum:

I received an email from Boar's wife Susan about Riley's upcoming surgery. Surgery is scheduled for January 18. Riley needs your prayers.

She included a website where we can go to get updates on Riley's condition, information about the diagnosis, and you can even sign a guestbook for Riley. Riley's mom will print out all the comments and save them to give to Riley when he's older.

There's also information on the website for fundraising for Riley. Susan sent another email later apologizing for sending the link with the fundraising information on it. She said that link was just for her graphics design friends, and she gave the link that is to the updated surgery information only.

However, I think some of us would like to see the fundraising information, so I'm posting the link that has all the information and not just the updates.

Please be very supportive to Boar (Marty) and his family during this time of concern for their baby Riley. BTW, Riley had his first birthday on December 12.

At the website, click the buttons on the left to see the information. Here is the link to the website:

http://www.freewebtown.com/fundraiser_for_riley/

Mrs. B
Kingwood Kayaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Kingwood Kayaker »

Thought I'd post some experience to this thread.

My nephew, Kaleb had that happen to him. He wasn't but 6-8 months old when he had the surgery.

Basically, they cut his skill from ear to ear over the top of his head. Then they put a spacer in the gap that would deteriorate over a couple of years.

Because they had to peel his skin off his head down to his eyes, we were very concerned about his appearance. Before the surgery my sister even took him out for pictures.

The doctor did a great job of putting him back together again. Apart from a scar that's under his hair line, you can't even tell anything ever happened to him.

I think having that much trauma at an early age did slow his growth a bit. BUT ONLY FOR 8 - 12 MONTHS!! Once he fully recovered from the surgery, he took off and is back where he needs to be.

Those kids sure are tough. Both of his eyes were swollen shut for nearly 3 days, but he was a trooper.

Our thought and prayers are with Riley. But honestly, looking back on it, it certainly wasn't as bad as we thought it would be.

Phil
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: In the woods using billion dollar government satellites to hunt $2 pieces of Tupperware

Post by Electric Water Boy »

Your son's surgery sounds like what a friend of mine's nephew went through. I'm not sure it was the same problem though. The best way I can describe this kid was that he was starting to look like a Klingon. They cut him from ear to ear and pulled his scalp down to his eyes and went to work. Today he looks fine. And he's a pretty darn sharp kid too.