TPWD weighs in on kayak registration.

billy bobba
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: TPWD weighs in on kayak registration.

Post by billy bobba »

It would be nice if TPWD gave the paddle craft community this type of attention, rather than -- " Register your kayak or shut up " .

http://www.MyFWC.com/boating/waterway/non-motorized/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"In May 2009 the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) initiated an outreach effort to learn about issues of concern to non-motorized boaters (NMB) and to strengthen relationships with this diverse community. Staff from the Office of Recreation Services (ORS) and Division of Law Enforcement (LE) attended club meetings, held five public 'Listening Sessions' and provided an email site for public comment. Results can be viewed in the Final Summary Report."
Yak&Fly

Post by Yak&Fly »

Double all violation fines?
Paddle Whipped

Post by Paddle Whipped »

Why would you have to register a kayak as a boat, to make more money? Then, you might as well register bicycles as a means of transportation to pay for bike trails, bike lanes, etc. It is the same thing, peddling vs paddling as a recreation.
billy bobba
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by billy bobba »

I have been keeping my ear to the ground concerning the TPWD - CUWG's ill conceived paddlecraft registration recommendation.
I have not heard anything about any follow through on this. It would require new legislation.
Hopefully -- no news is good news -- and TPWD has come to their senses.
Perhaps opposition letters have been helpful in placing this recommendation in the "bad idea" file (again).
CC Red

Post by CC Red »

I honestly don't think TP&W wanted to pursue that recommendation. The committee put it in as a recommendation but I think that was all it was. The economics are definitely not there. Can't see it happening but I have been wrong before.
Nano-Skiff
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Nano-Skiff »

Paddle Whipped wrote:Why would you have to register a kayak as a boat, to make more money? Then, you might as well register bicycles as a means of transportation to pay for bike trails, bike lanes, etc. It is the same thing, peddling vs paddling as a recreation.

Ive heard talk of doing this with bicycles as well. Im not sure what it was to fund though.
Texas Wader
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Texas Wader »

why not as one voice we negotiate with TPWD. we agree to register yaks in return for protected launch sites where needed. each section of the state can select areas that need protected launch sites. all selected sites can be compiled into one proposal and presented to TPWD along with ALL of our signatures.

here in the valley we are seeing previous accessable sights disappear all the time.

we could also approach CCA with this. CCA has a very LOUD voice.
thrasher

Post by thrasher »

I'd much rather participate in a beach or crab trap cleanup than pay the government money to register my kayak.

100% of the effort would then be directly benefiting the need.
hickoxp

Post by hickoxp »

thrasher wrote:I'd much rather participate in a beach or crab trap cleanup than pay the government money to register my kayak.

100% of the effort would then be directly benefiting the need.
x2
highlander

Post by highlander »

For those of you who, cluelessly agree to this ridiculous idea...... I say..... If the government would pull their head out of their ---. And spend or 11.25% excise tax on sporting goods.... The one applied before it hits the shelf, and then taxed at the local sales tax rate.... After taxing us at a rate of 54% before we get to spend it. I might consider it reasonable.......NOT. Quit agreeing to give up my income because some sorry sack guilts you into it and grow a set. Use them to keep you hard earned money for things like taking a friend or kid fishing.
msr

Post by msr »

Forever Fishing wrote:They promise sites and deliver the funds to the general budget. NO WAY! NO NEW TAXES!
I have to agree. Because we have seen it happen over and over again.