What is wrong with some people in Corpus.

SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

What is wrong with some people in Corpus.

Post by SAHunter1983 »

Last night a man fell off the bridge next to Cos-Way bait and tackle. I was asleep in my truck at the time. According to a local kayaker who saved the guy. The man was fully clothed and was swept into a pylon which he held onto for 45 minutes. A nearby PB watched this all unfold and did nothing. Luckily the man was spotted by the local yakker on his way in. The man was in bad shape and the Kayaker could barely hear him asking for help. The kayaker picked the man up almost turtling in The process. PBers continued to watch. When they were asked for help they said something to the nature of if they could start their engine. Upon making it to shore the PB TOOK OFF! The thankful fisherman gave the Kayaker 50 bucks a case of beer and a sincere thank you. What is wrong with some people today. Thanks to the fellow Kayaker if you are on here for representing! Hopefully I depicted your story accurately.
Tombo

Re: What is wrong with some people in Corpus.

Post by Tombo »

I met two real idiots with attitudes on Friday. It got so bad that I called my wife and said I am staying home.
I call your story a "campfire rescue" where folks don't act, just sit and watch.
Big Kahuna
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Sight casting flounder potlicking Mt Stringer and Osochuck

Post by Big Kahuna »

Unfortunately that is the attitude down here. Money can buy you a nice boat but it can't buy you class. Good job to the yakker and to the boater I hope it burns when they pee.
5moreminutes
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by 5moreminutes »

I know Corpus isn't the best place but I'd retitle your post as what's wrong with by standers? When I helped save a drunk girl in New braunfels on the river I didnt put a shadow on that city.

Glad the guy made it out ok.
BKevil86

Post by BKevil86 »

I'm happy for the fisherman making it out alive, all thanks to the kayaker's help. I would of done the same for anyone that was out there in trouble pb or not. It's sad that some guys out there don't help out to save a life.
razz25

Post by razz25 »

I know Corpus isn't the best place but I'd retitle your post as what's wrong with by standers? When I helped save a drunk girl in New braunfels on the river I didnt put a shadow on that city.

I agree, blanket statements are never a good thing. It had a good ending is what counts.
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

Trying to get attention of rescuer or possibly find someone who knows people that fish that spot. Title did its job and got attention. Note it says some people not everyone.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

It's everywhere. A friend and I were passing back thru the boat cut where there was a steady stream of boaters drifting outside the cut. We'd been further out the jetty fishing since sub up Ina 17 ft John-boat. All these guys in nice center consoles were ignoring the pleas of a man on the jetty who had fallen and gashed his shin pretty badly. The man had his son with him, probably 13 or 14 yoa and these A-wholes would just keep fishing and acting like they couldn't hear him. Not sure how many know that stretch of rocks but its a long walk out.

We picked them up and all their gear and took them to the base of the jetty. In a John-boat w three adults and gear (my buddy and I account for 500 l s between us) And a teenager. Wasn't the safest thing I've ever done but at least I know I'm not a POS like all those guys that basically defied maritime law.
ComalCustomRods

Post by ComalCustomRods »

Enjoy the satisfaction of knowing their Karma will catch up with them one day... Never fails.
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

I pray it doesn't but what goes comes around goes around.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

IMO, by posting this on our forum and discussing this problem, if one person changes their attitude it might save some one in the future.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

I would have let him keep his $50 but taken the beer.... :mrgreen:
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

5moreminutes wrote:I know Corpus isn't the best place but I'd retitle your post as what's wrong with by standers? When I helped save a drunk girl in New braunfels on the river I didnt put a shadow on that city.

2X, who says the boaters were from Corpus?
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

"What is wrong with SOME people IN Corpus" Never said or inferred from Corpus. They were their whether on vacation or not an acted badly while there.
5moreminutes
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by 5moreminutes »

I understand your intentions just being from Corpus and the way it reads comes off as negative.

I was at CosWay at 6am and didn't hear any mention of it and also talked to 2 kayakers there.

The actions of the people not helping but the guy falling from the bridge is another incident in itself. Drunk and leaned in too far/shouldn't be walking on the bridge?
osochuck
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by osochuck »

Imagine showin up to work....hey check what I caught...a 64" human, prolly has a pic of him on the check it stick with the token.
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

5moreminutes wrote:I understand your intentions just being from Corpus and the way it reads comes off as negative.

I was at CosWay at 6am and didn't hear any mention of it and also talked to 2 kayakers there.

The actions of the people not helping but the guy falling from the bridge is another incident in itself. Drunk and leaned in too far/shouldn't be walking on the bridge?
It is negative. The behavior is unacceptable whether local or on vacation. Like I said it was meant to get locals attention. Served its purpose. Hopefully if someone sees stuff like that again they will get the tags on it and report it if its possible. Happened at 3am just myself the guy and the other yakker were up. I woke up to them talking next to my truck and got out to see what was up.
Tomkat07

Post by Tomkat07 »

Yak in corpus = 1
Some yahoo in corpus = 0

Simple.
CC Red

Post by CC Red »

There are dill weeds everywhere. I tend to think those you mentioned are the exception rather than the norm no matter where you live. Unfortunately we spend too much time publicizing the antics of the idiots rather than praising the good deeds. I think people are inherently good. I think Corpus is the best place on earth to live and call home. I have seen more helpful people and acts of kindness here than I have anywhere else.

The only problem with Corpus is there are no fish. I would recommend Aransas Pass for that. They are all up there.
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

ComalCustomRods wrote:Enjoy the satisfaction of knowing their Karma will catch up with them one day... Never fails.
You can say that again, especially for the Good Samaritan. Every time I do a good deed while on the water I'm repaid in some way. Once I helped push a boat off Matagorda island. They were caught floundering overnight by a strong cold front that left their boat 100+ yards from the water in the morning. Later that day I caught my personal best red... 41"!

Call it karma, or what you want but it's for real. Always stop and help someone truly in need, it wi come back to you tenfold.
thrasher

Post by thrasher »

CC Red wrote:There are dill weeds everywhere. I tend to think those you mentioned are the exception rather than the norm no matter where you live. Unfortunately we spend too much time publicizing the antics of the idiots rather than praising the good deeds. I think people are inherently good. I think Corpus is the best place on earth to live and call home. I have seen more helpful people and acts of kindness here than I have anywhere else.

The only problem with Corpus is there are no fish. I would recommend Aransas Pass for that. They are all up there.
You're absolutely right: there are dill weeds everywhere, and lots of people visit Corpus from all over. Further, it takes much more than a nice boat and a rod and reel to make a fisherman. Its disappointing for me to believe anyone would act that way.
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

The truth is that it does happen everywhere and hopefully with this post maybe less often in the future. But that is wishful thinking... :cry: