Conviction of Kid Kayak Angler Killer Nears Appeal

mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

Sad story on how a drunk and high PBer took the life of this young kid while enjoying a paddle on the Lake.

Always think about PB's at the causeway and hope they are in their best behavior every time that I go there at night. Have added over 700 lumens of light in my yak, several cockpit lights, hand spotlight, and glow in the dark tape from http://www.mn8products.com/media/all-pr ... the%20dark" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still, that don't cure stupid! Be safe and stay visible on the water.

"On August 17, 2010, James Adamopolous and his 10-year-old son Gus were fishing aboard a kayak on Norwich Lake in Massachusetts. Then came the ski boat driven by Steven Morse. It plowed over the kayak, leaving it shredded and torn. Witnesses said the powerboat drove on for another four seconds, and even then didn’t stop. The impact severed Gus’ arm and punctured his lung. The 10-year-old died a short time later at Noble Hospital in Westfield, MA"

http://www.kayakfishmag.com/news/convic ... rs-appeal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
Boat-struck_Kayak.jpg
non pro angler \m/

Re: Conviction of Kid Kayak Angler Killer Nears Appeal

Post by non pro angler \m/ »

Very sad story....I get nervous paddling whenever there's PB's coming by full speed. Especially when crossing a channel. I had one coming straight at me when he rounded the corner as i was headed into pierce. Man I could not paddle fast enough. He finally saw me and let off the throttle. The oh s@!t factor was happening at that time.
Cadiyak Sam
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Central Texas, Galveston// Manta Ray 11// Jackson CUDA// Team Turtle Head

Post by Cadiyak Sam »

Wow that is a horrible story. I had some guy with his kids in the boat aim at me and ask his kids if he should run me over. This was right outside of Eckerts bayou. He wasn't going very fast, which is why I could hear him but it still made me nervous. I had a super spook aimed at him but I doubt that would have stopped him in time. In reality, he was probably harmless and trying to impress his kids but I have to wonder if his kids knew that he was joking. Behavior is taught not bred...
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

Very sad indeed, y'all keep an eye and ear out for pb's out there. Always assume they don't see you if you don't make eye contact and get out the way as fast as you can.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Don't have to worry about power boats BTB at High Island...............just rogue shrimpers!!! :roll:
RedsOnRiot

Post by RedsOnRiot »

Mythman wrote:Don't have to worry about power boats BTB at High Island...............just rogue shrimpers!!! :roll:
Haha! I've been out there before and I couldn't decide if I wanted to try and beat this shrimp boat and paddle across him or wait and go behind him. I almost ended up playing chicken with a much larger boat....
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Sad story for sure.
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

That's horrible
Birdsnest
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Birdsnest »

and there's more...
More from the pieces we worked on last week:
http://www.kayakfishmag.com/editors-pic ... powerboat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Watch out for yourselves folks.
billy bobba
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by billy bobba »

I would like to ask someone with Coast Guard or TPWD Legal Division whether they feel a kayak is considered a "vessel".
I feel they are since there are lighting requirements and those in Kayaks are obliged to follow the maritime "rules of the road".
Anyone know for certain ?
Kingz
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Kingz »

Birdsnest wrote:Watch out for yourselves folks.
^^^THIS
billy bobba
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by billy bobba »

Kingz wrote:
Birdsnest wrote:Watch out for yourselves folks.
^^^THIS
Or as the article wisely stated ----

"The onus is on paddlers to protect themselves. Paddle defensively and don’t assume anyone shares your efforts to boat responsibly."
billy bobba
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by billy bobba »

billy bobba wrote:I would like to ask someone with Coast Guard or TPWD Legal Division whether they feel a kayak is considered a "vessel".
I feel they are since there are lighting requirements and those in Kayaks are obliged to follow the maritime "rules of the road".
Anyone know for certain ?
Answer to my own question above from TPWD --

" The short answer is that under Texas law, yes, a kayak is a vessel: ""Vessel" means any watercraft, other than a seaplane on water, used or capable of being used for transportation on water". "
re: Texas Parks and Wildlife Code section 31.003(2).

So - good to know that if I wind up as a hood ornament of an airboat - my family may have a chance of seeing the guy do some serious jail time .
Last edited by billy bobba on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Billy Bob,
As you know, I Hate air boats with a passion. Yet, they have every right to do their thing, just as I have to do mine in my kayak. So, like my favorite actor, Clint Eastwood, said in one of my favorite movies, Millian Dollar Baby, . . "Protect yourself at all times".
yodaddi

Post by yodaddi »

mpg2yahoo wrote:Sad story on how a drunk and high PBer took the life of this young kid while enjoying a paddle on the Lake.

Always think about PB's at the causeway and hope they are in their best behavior every time that I go there at night. Have added over 700 lumens of light in my yak, several cockpit lights, hand spotlight, and glow in the dark tape from http://www.mn8products.com/media/all-pr ... the%20dark" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"On August 17, 2010, James Adamopolous and his 10-year-old son Gus were fishing aboard a kayak on Norwich Lake in Massachusetts. Then came the ski boat driven by Steven Morse. It plowed over the kayak, leaving it shredded and torn. Witnesses said the powerboat drove on for another four seconds, and even then didn’t stop. The impact severed Gus’ arm and punctured his lung. The 10-year-old died a short time later at Noble Hospital in Westfield, MA"

http://www.kayakfishmag.com/news/convic ... rs-appeal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

does that glow in the dark tape glows permanently? I"m interested in purchasing a roll of it if it does
surfpunk
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by surfpunk »

Terrible
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

yodaddi wrote:
mpg2yahoo wrote:Sad story on how a drunk and high PBer took the life of this young kid while enjoying a paddle on the Lake.

does that glow in the dark tape glows permanently? I"m interested in purchasing a roll of it if it does
The tape is charged by sunlight or you can use a flashlight. Not as effective as the sunlight though. I usually hook my trailer and leave the kayak out for an hour or two before I head out to the water. It last for a long time.

I had the tape applied for more than 4-6 months and it has not peeled off even when I wash the boat with soap, brush, and high pressure water. Be careful to apply the high pressure water too close though. I made a small split on the tape by putting the hose too close to the yak, but it remains attached good.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

yodaddi wrote: does that glow in the dark tape glows permanently? I"m interested in purchasing a roll of it if it does
Phosphorescent products need to be "charged up" over some time with light, either electric lamps or (better) sunlight, and then that light will slowly fade over a few hours in the best cases. I have a glow-in-the-dark ball for my dog and after a day in the sun it glows brightly for about 2 hours and then less bright for another hour or so after that. It does not have a noticeable glow 6 hours later.

I don't think that will be a good solution for safety on the water at night. The required 360 white light will be far more visible. I've been in a power boat at night and saw kayakers with required lights. They were plainly visible to me, even in the ambient light of the causeway.