Good single yak with kid option

droy80

Good single yak with kid option

Post by droy80 »

Still on the deciding phase for a yak. I'm really liking the Ride 135. But now comes the question of should I a) purchase a yak that is big enough for me and my 10 (soon to be 11) yr old son or b) get him his own SOT in the 10' range?

I'm a big guy, 6'1", 320#. He's about 4'8" and 60# soaking wet.

What do the experts think?
treysdaddy

Re: Good single yak with kid option

Post by treysdaddy »

My vote would be "B". You could start him out in a Tarpon 100 or 120 or someting like that. The Ride might be wet for you (water in the footwells). With spring on the way, ACK will probably be scheduling a day where you can try out different yaks. If the Ride 135 isn't good, maybe an x-factor might work for you.
My son and I started in separate kayaks and I'm glad we did. For the first few trips, I kept a leg in his yak to keep us together. We were BTB for those trips. In the bay, I let him loose to learn how to paddle and control the kayak.
conroebait

Post by conroebait »

My kids have ocean tetra 12 and a Venus ten. My 11 year old is in the tetra and he handles it like a champ. My daughter is 7 in the Venus and she's a little to light so the boat rides a little high in the water. We took them to ack demo days and let them paddle the boats then found them used
mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mwrose777 »

Check out the guys at OutBack Kayaks in LaMarque. Nucanoe Frontier 12 is perfect for me or me and my fiancé. 12' long, 41" wide and completely modular. 650 lb weight capacity. If you want to check one out you're more than welcome to come see mine, but JP and Shane at OBK are great guys to deal with.
crusher

Post by crusher »

I started with a tandem - we were neither fishermen nor kayakers. My 70 pound boy loved our first couple times out and was glad to have Dad with him when we hit the chop of the open bay, but we very quickly outgrew that. Now we have a Trident 13 also, that either of us can paddle and the tandem that does have a middle seating option to go solo and has a high weight capacity - but it's not particularly great. If I started over - I would have bought two yaks, both used since we never really know if a new hobby will last. And the boy would have just 'manned up' a little quicker out of necessity. And I should add that two amateurs swinging rods and treble hooks around in a tandem is a little too close for comfort. One of us wades or I keep us pointing in the right direction if we are together, and I sit and enjoy letting him fish.
Now....I can paddle around the neighborhood canals where we have access to with my 7 year old girl or my wife to just get out and about, so the tandem really does still have a good purpose other than fishing.

In a perfect world, my kid that is your kid's size or slightly bigger would have a Tarpon 100 or Trident 11 - those are the two that he really liked from demo day tryouts; I'd have a Trident 13 or a Cuda which were my favorites and I'm a pretty lightweight guy; and a tandem for fun or a friend.

As long as you get on the water, you will be fine either way. I've learned one truth - there's always going to be another yak in my near future (I just don't discuss with the wife anymore).
droy80

Post by droy80 »

After discussing it with the accountant (aka the wifey), we've decided on getting myself my own, but something that I could potentially carry my 5 yr old on if needed. The 10 yr old will be getting his own come May for his Bday. And plans to buy the wife a Pescador 12 are in the works so that we'd all have our own space.

So now it comes down to narrowing my choice. I like the 115, 135, Malibu Stealth 12, and the X-Factor. I just can't decide if a 14' yak is something I really need as I don't plan on doing much BTB until I get very comfortable.

Most of my fishing will be a few hundred feet off shore, to lakes, rivers, and yak trips with the family along the same locations.

So, 12 or 14 ??? lol
bearkat9293

Post by bearkat9293 »

I'm a big guy and went through the same thing you are going through. I bought the NuCanoe Frontier And my son the pescador 12. They each work good for us. I love the Frontier. I tried the 135 for all day fishing. It was good but I had no room to move around and could not stand. I'm 6'3 and 280 and my legs were uncomfortable in the cockpit. Also the stayed wet all day. I demoed every big man kayak out there and ended up with the NuCanoe. I would not change a thing. My next kayak will also be a NuCanoe. By the way you can pit one seat in it and go solo or in less than a minute put the second seat in and go tandem. Can't ask for a better customizable kayak.
droy80

Post by droy80 »

I've looked at and still like the Frontier 12. My concern is taking on water for those eventual bay and btb adventures.
mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mwrose777 »

droy80 wrote:I've looked at and still like the Frontier 12. My concern is taking on water for those eventual bay and btb adventures.
The Frontier 12 has scuppers, I've never had a wave come over the bow, or water filling up inside the yak.
aggiejon

Post by aggiejon »

I have a WS Ride 115 and my 5 (nearly 6 year old) daughter rides perfectly on top of the hatch. Cut up some foam padding to soften the seat and she loves it!

Never have felt tippy or unsteady and have been out in pretty rough water. Scupper plugs will keep the water out of the footwells and your behind. Will she likely get her own before long....yes. But for now until she is old enough to manage her own 'yak, we can go out together. Figure in about 4 years, she will be old enough for her own and her brother can take her seat in mine.

Per my accountant (wife), that time with the kiddos is worth the money for the kayak. And I have to agree. Priceless!