Any good fishing spots near Lubbock?

nmYAK4fish

Any good fishing spots near Lubbock?

Post by nmYAK4fish »

Well it's official, I'll be moving to lubbock at the end of July. I'm not really excited about it, but maybe someone could help ease my pain. So I know alan Henry is a decent lake, I was wondering about buffalo spring lake and/or Ransom canyon. I mostly fish for LMB, but I'm down to catch whatever is biting as well. And are there are any other lakes/rivers within 100 miles that you can put a kayak in and catch fish out of?
DumpTruck

Re: Any good fishing spots near Lubbock?

Post by DumpTruck »

But, but, but... New Mexico... Horny Toads... Whhyyyyyy?!?!?

Haha, just kidding buddy! Lubbock huh? That's cool. I've heard Buffalo Springs isn't too great, but I've never been there myself. We'll have to get down on some Alan Henry yak action one of these days.
nmYAK4fish

Post by nmYAK4fish »

Lol, I'm still a horny toad for life!!! I'll be almost the same distance from conchas and ute that I'm now, but we will definitely have to share some west texas water. I'll need a little time to re-learn how to catch texas bass, but I feel like I'll be able to get a lot more KW points due to the larger average sized fish. I'm just bummed that all my other moving options fell through. I was really pulling for San Angelo. Also I have a place to stay at oak creek if you want to meet up and get into some good bass and crappie fishing for a few days. My dad has a place right on the lake so we launch out of his back yard and he only goes there like 3-4 times a year. Go Toads!
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

Shame on y'all for objectifying a proud, regal reptile.
DumpTruck

Post by DumpTruck »

Dang right, proud and regal!

Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

DumpTruck

Post by DumpTruck »

Nailed it. Good resemblance!
nmYAK4fish

Post by nmYAK4fish »

Hells yeah! But what about some lubbock kayak fishing advice?
yakinjunkie

Post by yakinjunkie »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think there is any within a couple hundred miles other than Alan Henry. I would be glad to meet up and head out to Alan Henry one weekend if you are interested.
I just got back from San Angelo. That is the best travel/fishing ratio that I have found living up here in the desolate dry country.
nmYAK4fish

Post by nmYAK4fish »

yakinjunkie wrote:Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think there is any within a couple hundred miles other than Alan Henry. I would be glad to meet up and head out to Alan Henry one weekend if you are interested.
I just got back from San Angelo. That is the best travel/fishing ratio that I have found living up here in the desolate dry country.
Thanks for the info that's kind of what I had figured. What about the playa lake such as maxey, Elmore and leftwick?
yakinjunkie

Post by yakinjunkie »

nmYAK4fish wrote:
yakinjunkie wrote:Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think there is any within a couple hundred miles other than Alan Henry. I would be glad to meet up and head out to Alan Henry one weekend if you are interested.
Thanks for the info that's kind of what I had figured. What about the playa lake such as maxey, Elmore and leftwick?
I have lived here for about 5 years and never even crossed my mind to go fish these. So I looked around online and people actually pull LMB out of them. I always see people fishing in them but assumed it was all catfishing.

I'll give you a report this coming Monday. Have to try it out now.
nmYAK4fish

Post by nmYAK4fish »

yakinjunkie wrote:
nmYAK4fish wrote:
I have lived here for about 5 years and never even crossed my mind to go fish these. So I looked around online and people actually pull LMB out of them. I always see people fishing in them but assumed it was all catfishing.

I'll give you a report this coming Monday. Have to try it out now.
Heck yeah, I'll be looking forward to the report! But just FYI the city website says you have to obtain a free permit from them before launching and kind of watercraft on those three lakes, although I doubt there is any enforcement and probably won't be punished if you don't.