West Texas tournament series?

DesertYakMan

West Texas tournament series?

Post by DesertYakMan »

What would y'all think about someone starting a kayak bass fishing tournament series out here? Lakes would be Nasworthy, Oak Creek, Ivie, Alan Henry, and Amistad. What would some of yalls thoughts be about this. I know a lot of people are buying yaks out here due to low water levels, so it may generate a good turnout.
no-snag

Re: West Texas tournament series?

Post by no-snag »

I'm in. I don't know much about starting or running a tournament but would really like to start fishing one.
GCARR

Post by GCARR »

I would attend
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

We have lure tournaments out here where everyone brings a lure for entry fee. I now have about 300 lures in my storage shed from whoopin' up on folks at the tournaments.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Barnacle Bill wrote:We have lure tournaments out here where everyone brings a lure for entry fee. I now have about 300 lures in my storage shed from whoopin' up on folks at the tournaments.
Yeah, Bill's been to so many tourneys the trophy's now bear his resemblance.

:D
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Aggroman wrote:
Barnacle Bill wrote:We have lure tournaments out here where everyone brings a lure for entry fee. I now have about 300 lures in my storage shed from whoopin' up on folks at the tournaments.

Once I find a civil war portrait and get my thesaurus out, you should expect a snarky reply, sir, as I look in your general direction!
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Barnacle Bill wrote:
Aggroman wrote:

Once I find a civil war portrait and get my thesaurus out, you should expect a snarky reply, sir, as I look in your general direction!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I shall prepare my defenses for such an attack on my valiant intellect. (please no big words)
DesertYakMan

Post by DesertYakMan »

I know about the lure tournaments, but Im talking about a trail of sorts. I really like what they are doing in Austin and DFW with the KATS and CCKF trails. It would be really neat to have something like that out here.
jalderson

Post by jalderson »

I would be for a tournament series!
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

I still say that we need a clothing optional tournament!!!!!
DumpTruck

Post by DumpTruck »

I posted this up a while back, but if any of you guys are close enough and interested, there is multi species yak Tournament at Lake Elephant Butte this May. Check it out:

http://www.elephantbuttechamberofcommer ... ournament/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Should be fun!
GCARR

Post by GCARR »

I've been thinking of your proposal of a tournament series. I think it could work, there are lots of good lakes in the area. These are my opinions on the following lakes.

Alan Henry- I have personally never had good luck here. And the fee just to enter is high. The boat ramp stays pretty packed, but there is a camp site that would make a great spot to launch. This tourney would have to be a long one due to lack of launch points and size of lake. Lots of paddle time to cover lake.

Oak Creek- probably my favorite, mainly because I lost two good fish and feel the need for revenge. Two launch points lots of cover, and places to camp for us guys who would have to travel.

Nasworthy- probably best place to have the "championship" lots of anglers call angelo home, there is good opportunity to have sponsors, with kayak shops and Academy in town. Another idea I have seen is with all the water around Angelo the championship could be launch anywhere fish anywhere in Angelo this opens up not only the lake but the concho and spring creek.

I have no experience with Ivie, or Amstad.

But Champion Creek has always treated me pretty good. No camping but with an abundance of white bass it could be a good multi species tourney to change things up.

Sweetwater seems to get pretty good reviews on other forums I never fished here though. I believe they have a bait shop so something to look into.

Big Springs is small but they landed a 9lb chunk out of there last spring

These are just my ideas and something to ponder, but from personal experience with West Texas being so spread out I have personally not attended tournaments because I would have to check in the day before and my work schedule wouldn't allow me to be there a day early. So maybe use a call in method to check anglers in like between 4pm and 7pm the previous afternoon.
nmYAK4fish

Post by nmYAK4fish »

This sounds awesome, I would like to see this happen. I would also be willing to volunteer some time if needed. Let me know if I can help. I'm new to west texas and fished my first kayak tourney this year, it was a blast and I can't wait to fish another one.
jsharp

Post by jsharp »

sounds good