Harbor Freight Kayak Trailer

fish Drill Team

Harbor Freight Kayak Trailer

Post by fish Drill Team »

I'm toying with the idea of purchasing one of Harbor Freight's small, utility trailers, and converting it into a yak hauler. I'm looking at the one with the 12" wheels. I'm worried that it may not do well at highway speeds. Do any of you have experience with these trailers and have you ever had any issues pulling them at 70 mph? Any corrective actions to be taken if problems arise?
susanto1228

Re: Harbor Freight Kayak Trailer

Post by susanto1228 »

You mean this one ? http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb-ca ... 90153.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I too was wondering about these small utility trailers are harbor freight they have great prices.....

Is there anywhere you can go check them locally? Thats what I wanted too do. IF you give them some more
artificial weight.....IE boards, PVC, Kayak and weigh them down and check all the bolts I dont see why they wouldnt
work at higher speeds.... hopefully some members that own some of these can chime in....
tarpy kayak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by tarpy kayak »

I pulled a modified one with an extended tongue for a year or so. Had 8" wheels and routinely would run 70-80 MPH carrying 1 kayak with zero issues. Take all but one leaf out of the axle stack and run 30 psi in the tires, helps with the bouncing. DO NOT dunk this trailer...it is not meant for this. DO NOT run bearing buddys, disassemble and rebuild hubs every 3-5000 miles. HIGHLY suggest relocating lights up at least 2' off the ground.
Heatstroke

Post by Heatstroke »

I bought one (model 90154) a month or so ago and it's doing pretty well so far. I did have an issue with a seal leaking but Harbor Freight took care of that. Been on a few 350 mile round trips up to 80mph at times with it and seems to track straight and no issues with the tires or wheels.

With that said, if you want to knock out the bearings, clean them up and repack with the grease of your choice you might want to call HF and have a couple of bearings and seals shipped to you just in case one bust gettig it out. Though I could've had the local parts store order one for me the price was outrageous ($18 each). Later on I'm either going to make a whole new axle or cut the spindles out and weld standard size one in so I can find bearings and seal dang near anywhere for $10-15 a set.
whatwake
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by whatwake »

I don't have a harbor freight trailer but my trailer does have the small tires on it. I use the trailer alot, going to GISP, HI, Rockport, Louisiana. I've had one blowout and that was my fault for not checking the tires before I left. Im usually pulling the trailer between 65-70, pulling usually 4 kayaks.
Attachments
100_0005.JPG
lurejunkee
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by lurejunkee »

We had 12's on ours for at least a couple of years running at highway speeds from SA to the Rockport area and never had any issues. We've gone up to 13's now. Knock on wood...
fish Drill Team

Post by fish Drill Team »

Thanks for the replies. That improves my confidence greatly. I'll pick up the 12" wheel model.
5moreminutes
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by 5moreminutes »

$600 galvanized boat trailer at academy
Is consider that over harbor freight.
Model for Jon boats
mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mwrose777 »

5moreminutes wrote:$600 galvanized boat trailer at academy
Is consider that over harbor freight.
Model for Jon boats
That's for the 14-17' model I think.

The 12-14' model is $500. I had my grandpa check with McClain direct (they know each other from way back), and that's about as cheap as you'll get a McClain trailer. All of our boat trailers have been McClain. Good product right there, and no worries whether or not you're going to flip it on the freeway.
Foulhook

Post by Foulhook »

I have the harbor freight utility trailer I modified for my yak. I've had zero problems with it so far. I routinely drive highway speed ( usually to fast) and haven't noticed any issues. I just make sure I keep the bearings packed with grease. My only complaint would be the cheap axle / bearing assembly which I'm considering changing out down the road.
Attachments
Trailer (2).jpg
Pee Row

Post by Pee Row »

This was once a Harbor Freight trailer..
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1403839624458.jpg
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

For a couple hundred bucks more, you can have a much sturdier trailer from Tractor Supply Co. I started out with a HF trailer, and dumped it in favor of this, and it is so much better.
Optimized-Capture.JPG
I paired it with these truck racks with kayak carriers, and I love it!
Optimized-DSC00722.JPG
Optimized-DSC00723.JPG
I bought this big lockable box from Lowe's for 50 bucks, and I keep all my gear in it to and from the launch so all I have in my SUV is my rods, camera bag and my drink cooler.

I am still going to figure out a way to attach a paddle holder to it as well. I could fit up to 4 kayaks on it if I wanted.
aggiejon

Post by aggiejon »

shoffer wrote:For a couple hundred bucks more, you can have a much sturdier trailer from Tractor Supply Co. I started out with a HF trailer, and dumped it in favor of this, and it is so much better.
Optimized-Capture.JPG
I paired it with these truck racks with kayak carriers, and I love it!
Optimized-DSC00722.JPG
Optimized-DSC00723.JPG
I bought this big lockable box from Lowe's for 50 bucks, and I keep all my gear in it to and from the launch so all I have in my SUV is my rods, camera bag and my drink cooler.

I am still going to figure out a way to attach a paddle holder to it as well. I could fit up to 4 kayaks on it if I wanted.
Just a thought, watch craigslist for a side-mount toolbox. the ones that mount along the bedrail instead of at the front. That would make a great paddle/rod locker!
DEPTHCHARGE

Post by DEPTHCHARGE »

I have a HF trailer with 12"in. rims and although I don't tow it weekly, I pull it at 65-75mph when I do. No matter if it's empty or loaded and it's done great.

The rim/tires are marked "do not exceed 60mph" but I doubt they will instantly fail the moment you hit 61. Mine haven't and it's 3 years old now. Disclaimer- I have never towed farther than 150 miles and I stopped every hour to check the hub temp (by feel) and tire pressure. But it was new. And from china. And I put it together. And loaded near its max capacity. :lol: (No issues btw)

Install your hubs properly, use a good quality grease on your bearings, keep your tires properly inflated and enjoy at 70mph.

I too will take corrective action...when a problem happens. Still waiting!
Wag

Post by Wag »

I've had the Harbor Freight folding trailer for several years now. I built an A frame for it and carry two kayaks easily along with a bunch of gear. I live 5 hours from the coast, so put a lot of miles on the trailer. It's been a joy. No problems whatsoever. Understand, I don't make a lot of trips, but I'm very confident of the rig. Folds up nicely in my garage as well. I heartily recommend it.
mjv80

Post by mjv80 »

They now make a boat trailer. It looks like it would be easy to modify for a kayak. http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-cap ... -5002.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lumos

Post by Lumos »

I use a Harbor Freight folding trailer (http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive ... 90154.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) for pulling a Hobie Tandem Island. I added a 6 foot steel tongue extension and have had it up to 65 MPH just fine with no problems. It folds up for compact storage.

It's a cheap alternative to more expensive trailers that works well enough. Don't dunk it, though.
texan4ut
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by texan4ut »

This is mine. Started with the Tractor Supply trailer as was mention earlier in this post. Extended the tongue 3 feet added some flooring to the front and welded up a rack. Craigslist tool box, Lowes tool box Malone sea wings. Has 12 inch tires and I have no problems except in some deeper sand. Prolly go to 15 inch tires soon.
Attachments
DSCN7495.JPG