Port isabel/spi

goodeyak

Port isabel/spi

Post by goodeyak »

Will be doing the family thing in Brownsville over the 4th but I am bringing my Yak :) with me as well. I will be hitting the area behind the Coast Guard ( was stationed there in 73-74) and by the Sea Ranch. I may also try behind the aquarium. Any other suggestions or input?

I also have booked a bay trip with Capt. Vere Wells for some fishing with plastics & hard wear. Needless to say I am stoked! :dance:
Ken J
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Port isabel/spi

Post by Ken J »

Sense you have a guide, South Bay chasing Snook.

Ken J
Attachments
Boca%20Chica%20037.jpg
joel45acp

Post by joel45acp »

If possible, hit south bay, but be careful crossing the channel. also, you can hit the old causeway. we usually hookup mangrove snapper near the pilings. you can also drift the area called "The Pastue". its just north of the new causeway, east of the ICW. Mexiquita Flats is also very doable. Hope that helps. Have fun and be safe homie.
goodeyak

Post by goodeyak »

Yes, I am familiar with all those areas. Not sure just how much time I will get so I can try different places but I will give it a shot.
My parents started taking me to Port Isabel when I was in the 1st grade and we went every summer until I graduated from high school. We really caught a lot of specks and flounder. Back then 3 islands was over run with flounder.
There is just something very special about that area.
Thanks again!
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Post by Z~MAN »

The pasture is good, also behind the IBC bank is a good area.

If u r launching from SPI u can launch from Palm street pier bar and easy access to bay.
KOA is also a good start.

Keep tabs on wind as it can blow !

Let's go Fishin......coco!
Z-man
goodeyak

Post by goodeyak »

Thanks! I am not familiar with Palm St Bar & Grill so I looked it up. Looks like a good launch site. Yes, I remember how the wind blows and generally starts everyday by 10 am.
joel45acp

Post by joel45acp »

oh, i almost forgot. behind the civic center at the island and behind the old walmart in PI are good producers too. have fun homie
joel45acp

Post by joel45acp »

Let's go Fishin......coco!
Z-man[/quote]

homie, i remember that show, Texas Style, with Bud Rowland. lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
aggiejon

Post by aggiejon »

Will be in SPI next week. Not looking like I'll be able to take the kayak this trip. Any thoughts on where a man could fish without any type of boat? Wade out in the bay? Tips on tackle and bait and locations? I fished what I presume is a city park on the causeway side north out of town. I just waded out a little and drowned shrimp, with no luck. Mostly going to be early morning or kiddos naptime after lunch when I could go. Any advice is appreciated!
joel45acp

Post by joel45acp »

aggiejon wrote:Will be in SPI next week. Not looking like I'll be able to take the kayak this trip. Any thoughts on where a man could fish without any type of boat? Wade out in the bay? Tips on tackle and bait and locations? I fished what I presume is a city park on the causeway side north out of town. I just waded out a little and drowned shrimp, with no luck. Mostly going to be early morning or kiddos naptime after lunch when I could go. Any advice is appreciated!
Island Side
as soon as you cross the causeway into the island, there is an area to your right that's great wade fishing. nice hard packed sand that produces good numbers of specks along the mangrove growth. I used to wade the area near the coast guard station too. again, nice packed sand. I caught my largest saltwater red there in 1989, 28" fatty on live mullet. Flatties are in the area as well.
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Post by Z~MAN »

joel45acp wrote:Let's go Fishin......coco!
Z-man
homie, i remember that show, Texas Style, with Bud Rowland. lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Ahhhh! U member! Those were good shows! Along with Johnny canales! Woooo!

Z-man
joel45acp

Post by joel45acp »

Z~MAN wrote:
joel45acp wrote:Let's go Fishin......coco!
Z-man
homie, i remember that show, Texas Style, with Bud Rowland. lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahhhh! U member! Those were good shows! Along with Johnny canales! Woooo!

Z-man[/quote]

"take it away!"